CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails

+8
CarlaAR
FalconTress
creolebeauty1
Madeaj
fuzzypuff
AimWard
KnottyKinkyMommy
Emartini04
12 posters

Go down

Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails Empty Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails

Post by Emartini04 25th February 2011, 1:50 am

When I don't feel like twisting my hair or wearing it out I tend to take some gel, slick it back, and brush it into a ponytail. This is a cool 'don't feel like doing anything with my hair but still look cute' style for me. Well recently I've noticed that my edges look a bit thinner - not completely bald but thin and I'm not liking it at all. I was hoping someone has some answers for me, but in the meantime this is what I do:

1. Co wash my hair and DC
2. Apply my leave in then section my hair and apply EVOO
3. Spritz my hair with some water and then apply my Leave in conditioner then EVOO
4. Apply some black protein gel, slick my hair back with a brush, and put hair in a ponytail holder (scrungee)
5. And last put on my satin scarf or bonnet then pass out.

If anyone has any answers to maybe what I'm doing please let me know. I noticed this wasn't happening until recently.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails Empty Re: Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 25th February 2011, 2:17 am

I will answer quickly off the head because there is a nagging toddler at my leg... I'm wondering if its the protein laden gel or the tension from the ponytail itself that is causing your issue. Most gels have protein but perhaps you could try something lighter like: ECO styler or Fantasia ic. You could add some oil to them to prevent crunchiness. For me crunchiness equals breakage.
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails Empty Re: Edges, Black Protein Gel, and Ponytails

Post by AimWard 25th February 2011, 2:55 am

I think it's the tension from brushing the hair back then putting it into a pony. Stop pulling your hair back (no matter how loose you're doing it) and brushing it down for a month or so and see if you notice any difference. I used to wear buns and ponys with my edges gelled down all the time (out of laziness) and my edges became dangerously thin. The moment I stopped, my edges filled back in nicely (no magic massages or oils needed).
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 25th February 2011, 12:14 pm

Thanks ladies. I appreciate this. I guess I thought since I was soaking my hair with tons of conditioner and EVOO it would help my hair from drying or breaking off with the gel lying on top of it.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzypuff 25th February 2011, 12:19 pm

I'm co-signing with the ladies, and adding that when I used that protein gel my edges became thin too....It wasn't until I became natural that I learned what protein sensitivity was and stopped using it, that my edges filled back in as well.
fuzzypuff
fuzzypuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 25th February 2011, 12:23 pm

@Fuzzypuff

Was the protein gel too much for your edges? Hmmm interesting. What other gel did you start using to slick your hair back in a ponytail? Eco styling gel is cool but it doesn't have enough hold for me.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 25th February 2011, 12:38 pm

I use my butter mix and my fingers. The protein gels were a bit too much for my edges. Maybe I was using it wrong, but I didn't like the crunchy or sticky feeling. It also flaked sometimes.

I just use a little of my butter mix, smooth it on with my fingers and very lightly tie a scarf on my hair. I do this before I go to sleep or sometimes while I'm getting ready to go out. Works like a charm.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 25th February 2011, 12:49 pm

mmmm it can be 2 things like the other ladies said either you're protein sensitive and may need a gel that's doesn't have as much protein in it , and i also read to not wear highly stressed styles and to not do your ponytail in the same spot each time like do side puff and so on and not to tight that can cause thin edges as well and like everyone i would switch gels at first to see if i noticed difference than if not i would stop the gel and lay off the ponytail for a while and see if that shows a difference than massaging your edges with Emu or castor oil can also help
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzypuff 25th February 2011, 1:06 pm

@Emartini04: I honestly think so. I used straight aloe vera gel (found in the health food stores) and tied a scarf around my edges to make it lay flat. When it was dry, everything was smooth and in place.

I've recently experimented with KCCC on my edges....That seems to work well for me, although it still takes a while to dry
fuzzypuff
fuzzypuff

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 25th February 2011, 1:12 pm

Emartini04 wrote:When I don't feel like twisting my hair or wearing it out I tend to take some gel, slick it back, and brush it into a ponytail. This is a cool 'don't feel like doing anything with my hair but still look cute' style for me. Well recently I've noticed that my edges look a bit thinner - not completely bald but thin and I'm not liking it at all. I was hoping someone has some answers for me, but in the meantime this is what I do:

1. Co wash my hair and DC
2. Apply my leave in then section my hair and apply EVOO
3. Spritz my hair with some water and then apply my Leave in conditioner then EVOO
4. Apply some black protein gel, slick my hair back with a brush, and put hair in a ponytail holder (scrungee)
5. And last put on my satin scarf or bonnet then pass out.

If anyone has any answers to maybe what I'm doing please let me know. I noticed this wasn't happening until recently.

I think the brush could also be contributing to the problem. My edges and nape are too fragile to take the stress of brushing,

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 25th February 2011, 1:53 pm

I found that the use of the brush was causing breakage on my edges. I looked at my brush and noiced a lot of broken hairs in it even though I don't brush through my hair.

I now use a di Prima comb and my hands to just smooth it back that area with pomade or a light gel like Kiss My Face Upper Management...

CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 25th February 2011, 3:48 pm

I agree that the brush may be an issue also. I wear my hair back in a puff a lot. I make sure not to pull back to tight. I also use aloe vera gel only and slick back with my hands. Then I smooth it with a soft bristle baby toothbrush. I bought it just for that purpose. Then tie a scarf on it for about 15 mins. It looks tight and smooth, but it's actually not tight at all.
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 25th February 2011, 7:32 pm

I think its a combination of brushing WET (maybe therefore fragile?) hair, gelling it,a nd then pulling it and leaving it pulled back ALL night.
try doing part of that routine in the morning, and wrap a scarf around it for 20 minutes and maybe your hair will lay down how you want it to? if not, put a cute headband on and loosen the ponytail.

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 25th February 2011, 8:14 pm

Also when I do my buns, I make sure my dry buns are loose. I lightly brush down baby hair with my hands in the front and back to make sure I'm not putting any tension on it.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 25th February 2011, 11:30 pm

i agree about the stress of brushing your edges. if you want to continue to wear pulled back styles i would try 2 changes:

1) don't brush, but put the gel in the palms of your hands and smooth it on with your hands only...followed up with a scarf to "set" and your hair should still look slick in the end.

2) don't try to get all of your little "baby" hairs into the bun. By this, i mean those curls at the very edge of your forehead. even if they are long enough to reach into the bun (once stretched out), let them shrink up & stay outside of the pony. then you'll haveone or two baby hairs around your hairline. Also, once I place the scarf over them, they tend to flatten out and lay against my head anyway.
Kea::curls
Kea::curls

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 26th February 2011, 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I will be going to TJ this week and getting me some aloe vera gel - glad you ladies bought this one up because I didn't think about using this gel. Also I'll try not putting my hair in a ponytail so many days at a time. I have my lazy days where I really don't feel like twisting it so the ponytail is a life saver Embarassed

At first I was using a hard bristle brush and then switched over to the soft bristle brush but was still noticing the edges becoming a bit thin. Sigh the longer my hair gets the more cautious I have to become.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by sydnisd183 26th February 2011, 1:56 pm

I make/use the flaxseed gel (I got the recipe from Naptural85's youtube channel) and smooth back with my hands only. sometimes i will give in and LIGHTLY brush my edges back with a soft toothbrush. i tie a scarf on for about 15-20 minutes and it's set. what i like about the flaxseed gel is that it gives my front edges and hair a shiny, curly (not frizzy) look all over. the dreaded "halo" has decreased a lot as well.
sydnisd183
sydnisd183

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down