CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION

+11
CurlyLadyButler
makeupvixen
curly+kinky+fierce
Epiphany
Corygentri
d.denise
Mllebutterfly
Moni
traveljunkie08
NylaCoils
naturallydestined
15 posters

Go down

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION Empty I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION

Post by naturallydestined 8th December 2009, 1:03 pm

I've never had acne until the birth of my last child (no. 5) and then my skin went crazy. I have been on a long search for an organic foundation with great coverage but it appears that most organic companies don't believe that people of color wear organic. Where's my foundation match? LOL

I then spent the weekend searching for something. In one dept store, the sales rep could not apply the make up foundation on my face nor knew anything about the product in which was on the display. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I then went to Ulta. Love that store! One rep had such a difficult time finding a match for me. She recommended that I try another store for Estee Lauder.

I went to the EL store and the rep was very helpful and gave me a take home sample of the double wear foundation but I didn't care for the feel. It felt sticky and took three washes to completely remove the product from my face plus it didn't provide the coverage that I needed to cover my blemishes.

A Mary Kay rep could not even find my match either. I have warm, olive toned skin and most foundations have my skin appearing either too ash and light or too red (orange).

Any suggestions? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION Empty Re: I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION

Post by NylaCoils 8th December 2009, 1:21 pm

First of all- you look good !!! 5 children! WOW!!! anyway, my complexion is hard to match also. Have you tried Chanel? A friend of mine was able to mix a few colors and make the perfect match. You can also try MAC.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 8th December 2009, 1:30 pm

I've never looked at Chanel nor Mac. Thanks for those! Oh, thanks for the complement too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 8th December 2009, 2:01 pm

Sue Devitt has great options for women of color. Sue Devitt is sold at Ulta here in St. Louis, so check your Ulta. It's also sold at Barney's. Has some natural ingredients, if not all natural.

I also like Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer. It's a natural product that you can find at Sephora. You can layer it to build up as much coverage as you need.

I haven't tried it yet (I will when I'm done with my Laura Mercier), but Josie Maran is supposed to be good too. Another natural product at Sephora. It has argan oil in it, which is supposed to be good for your skin (hair too).
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 8th December 2009, 2:09 pm

@traveljunkie08, thank you so much! We don't have a Sephora store but I will definitely check at the Sephora site for more. Heading back to Ulta to check out Sue Devitt too.

Thanks for much for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. I know my match is out there. Smile
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 8th December 2009, 6:57 pm

I'm also a fan of Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. However, I'm considering switching to mineral makeup for more coverage... I've heard great things about Valana minerals. You can purchase samples and they have tons of colors for black women.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 9th December 2009, 4:15 am

@ Moni, thanks so much for the Valana minerals site. I have been searching for an organic co. that catered to people of color. I've never heard of Valana. I'm going to check them out. Thanks so much!
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

Back to top Go down

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION Empty Why Organic?

Post by Mllebutterfly 14th December 2009, 8:49 am

First thing, organic does not mean better. You should know that before you start covering your face with makeup that good skin care is the foundation of any makeup routine. I suggest you begin by exfoliating your skin daily with an Alphahydroxy acid (AHA) or a Betahydroxy acid (BHA). You will see a significant improvement in your acne and your foundation will go-on a lot smoother. The best two makeup foundations for "skin of color" are Iman and Bobbi Brown. Iman is about $12 to $15 dollars at Target or Ulta. Bobbi Brown is on the pricier end (but is well worth it) at $42 to $45 dollars. You can find Bobbi Brown online or at high-end makeup counters. I especially like Bobbi Brown because it always matches and I have never broken-out wearing this makeup. Personally, I hate MAC foundation because it always looks a little bit orange or gray and I can always tell when people are wearing it.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 14th December 2009, 9:04 am

FYI, most mineral makeup is not "natural" or "Organic". In fact, natural is not a protected term. The cosmetic industry intentionally misleads consumers with vague language. The idea that mineral makeup is any better for the skin is pure fiction. A really great book on cosmetics and skincare is the "The Original Beauty Bible" by Paula Begoun. The information in this book is based on proven research. All the information is cited so you can look at the original studies backing-up the claims.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 14th December 2009, 3:43 pm

Mllebutterfly wrote:FYI, most mineral makeup is not "natural" or "Organic". In fact, natural is not a protected term. The cosmetic industry intentionally misleads consumers with vague language. The idea that mineral makeup is any better for the skin is pure fiction. A really great book on cosmetics and skincare is the "The Original Beauty Bible" by Paula Begoun. The information in this book is based on proven research. All the information is cited so you can look at the original studies backing-up the claims.

Of course. I great place to start is http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php
Excellent info regarding some of the ingredients available in products also.
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 19th December 2009, 3:35 pm

do you have a JCPenny where you live? They usually have mini-sephora's in them.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 21st December 2009, 7:38 am

d.denise wrote:do you have a JCPenny where you live? They usually have mini-sephora's in them.

Yes. I didn't know that. I will definitely give them a peek. Thanks so much.
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 27th December 2009, 11:41 pm

Thanks for this thread you all - I am in desperate need of a good make-up for my acne prone skin! I have some places to start!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany 4th January 2010, 3:38 pm

I have a g/f with acne prone skin who swears by prescriptives.

My skin tone is hard to match but I get my foundation from Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa. They take a computer image of your face and create the foundation on the spot to match. It's a little pricey but worth every penny to me.

Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 11th January 2010, 1:12 am

hi! Im a makeup junkie and I agree with Mllebutterfly...IMAN and Bobbi Brown are wonderful for women of color..it really caters to the browns and golden undertones that we have. I also agree that MAC is either ashy or too orange..im a fan of MAC but i really stopped wearing their foundations bc of that reason BUT i do love their Mineralized Skin Finish.......IMAN cream to powder is wonderful ..i really like it..

If ur looking for a mineral makeup, try Bare Minerals..it does really well with my skin and u can build the coverage...

I hope u find what u need [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION Empty Hmmm

Post by makeupvixen 13th January 2010, 12:59 pm

makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyLadyButler 22nd January 2010, 12:40 am

curly+kinky+fierce wrote:hi! Im a makeup junkie and I agree with Mllebutterfly...IMAN and Bobbi Brown are wonderful for women of color..it really caters to the browns and golden undertones that we have. I also agree that MAC is either ashy or too orange..im a fan of MAC but i really stopped wearing their foundations bc of that reason BUT i do love their Mineralized Skin Finish.......IMAN cream to powder is wonderful ..i really like it..

If ur looking for a mineral makeup, try Bare Minerals..it does really well with my skin and u can build the coverage...

I hope u find what u need [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I work for MAC Cosmetics and am very knowledgable about their colors and foundations, I would have to disagree that they either look "ashy or too orange", I think that may have been a bad experience you may have had with a not so great mua. I would personally go to a MAC makeup artist who is similar to your color and whose skin looks great. For me, skin is everything so I do lots of things to make my skin look luminous and youthful. Since my skin has gotten to a stage where I don't need foundation, I only use the concealer (Studio Finish) and the Mineralize Skinfinish pressed powder... It gives you a very nice glow. If you are just starting out with foundations and makeup, try MAC Mineralize Skinfinish foundation... That really gives you a glow and makes your skin look hydrated, but not oily... If you get oily, use our Blot Powder... If you have any questions, feel free to visit my youtube page to see tutorials or to ask me questions www.youtube.com/AlexandraBond.

Good luck
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlyLadyButler
CurlyLadyButler

https://www.youtube.com/AlexandraBond

Back to top Go down

I NEED A GREAT MAKE UP FOUNDATION Empty i agree

Post by makeupvixen 22nd January 2010, 4:45 pm

CurlyLadyButler wrote:
curly+kinky+fierce wrote:hi! Im a makeup junkie and I agree with Mllebutterfly...IMAN and Bobbi Brown are wonderful for women of color..it really caters to the browns and golden undertones that we have. I also agree that MAC is either ashy or too orange..im a fan of MAC but i really stopped wearing their foundations bc of that reason BUT i do love their Mineralized Skin Finish.......IMAN cream to powder is wonderful ..i really like it..

I work for MAC Cosmetics and am very knowledgable about their colors and foundations, I would have to disagree that they either look "ashy or too orange", I think that may have been a bad experience you may have had with a not so great mua. I would personally go to a MAC makeup artist who is similar to your color and whose skin looks great. For me, skin is everything so I do lots of things to make my skin look luminous and youthful. Since my skin has gotten to a stage where I don't need foundation, I only use the concealer (Studio Finish) and the Mineralize Skinfinish pressed powder... It gives you a very nice glow. If you are just starting out with foundations and makeup, try MAC Mineralize Skinfinish foundation... That really gives you a glow and makes your skin look hydrated, but not oily... If you get oily, use our Blot Powder... If you have any questions, feel free to visit my youtube page to see tutorials or to ask me questions www.youtube.com/AlexandraBond.

Good luck

I agree with my MAC sister (hey gurl, lol). Not just because we both work for MAC either.

I'm not a big fan of the Mineralize Skinfinish though. A lot of my clients that I have tried it on turns into a film when wet. Like if the sweat or if some water from a cup gets on it then it's almost like the skinfinsh turns into a foam. I have tried it on different people and keep getting the same results. I know not to add Fix+ spray on top of it either. Other than that I would agree that it's a nice light foundation.

The only other thing is that I do get offended when women of color wont ask me for help. Just because I'm light skinned doesn't mean I don't know how to help women of color get their right color combination, I have had so many bad experiences with customers that didn't want me to help them because they wanted someone else "darker" to help them (their words, not mine). But oh well. I just came out light (my family is from Trinidad and dark skinned but I came out light) and my son too, his Father is a rich Purple color and he was born and raised in Ghana Africa but me and my son are light (NC40 light). I am knowledgeable in applying makeup to all skin types but some people judge me just because I don't have the darker shade. (same with hair too, they think it should be straight just because I'm light)

Although I do love MAC please also consider Make Up For Ever. I do really like some of their HD foundations (ssshhhhh, don't tell my MAC sistah's this, lol).

makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 22nd January 2010, 6:00 pm

CurlyLadyButler wrote:

Good luck

Your makeup is AWESOME! This makes me wanna start wearing foundation and playing with my eyeshadow colors even more!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 22nd January 2010, 7:06 pm

Another good line that has mineral foundations for women of color is Priia cosmetics. You can purchase samples from them too ($2!!). They list all their ingredients so you know exactly what's going on your face.
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyLadyButler 23rd January 2010, 12:16 am

Why thank ya hunny...

jlowman1 wrote:
CurlyLadyButler wrote:

Good luck

Your makeup is AWESOME! This makes me wanna start wearing foundation and playing with my eyeshadow colors even more!
CurlyLadyButler
CurlyLadyButler

https://www.youtube.com/AlexandraBond

Back to top Go down

Post by jazz 14th February 2010, 11:08 pm

MAC MAC MAC OMG LOVE THE STUFF AND BELIEVE ME IT COVERS ANYTHING .
i have had problems with hyperpigment and i use to be really really shy about it ... also i have a birthmark dab smack on my forehead.... and mac covers anything and the people at the counter really know what they are doing her is a pic with me wearing mac and one with me not wearing anything .. god cant believe im putting this up here but im starting to get more comfortable with the real me my hair is natural in both pics just one is straight when i had my hair layered real short in the front and the other is with me with my hair not done at all lol ;-)[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jazz
jazz

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 15th February 2010, 1:20 pm

jazz wrote:MAC MAC MAC OMG LOVE THE STUFF AND BELIEVE ME IT COVERS ANYTHING .
i have had problems with hyperpigment and i use to be really really shy about it ... also i have a birthmark dab smack on my forehead.... and mac covers anything and the people at the counter really know what they are doing her is a pic with me wearing mac and one with me not wearing anything .. god cant believe im putting this up here but im starting to get more comfortable with the real me my hair is natural in both pics just one is straight when i had my hair layered real short in the front and the other is with me with my hair not done at all lol ;-)[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Such a pretty lady inside and out!

Yeah, MAC can be so wonderful, you look great.

Oh and if anyone in the LA area wants to contact me I finally got a website. www.jnsmakeupartistry.com
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th February 2010, 2:04 pm

CurlyLadyButler wrote:

Good luck

Absolutely Beautiful You ARE!!! I love your eye makeup!! and that skin!!! Love it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jazz 15th February 2010, 3:15 pm

thanks makeupvixen...
jazz
jazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content