CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does your hair texture change when you get older?

+4
CarlaAR
misskris
Aunt_Lola
CeeCee757
8 posters

Go down

Does your hair texture change when you get older? Empty Does your hair texture change when you get older?

Post by CeeCee757 22nd February 2011, 2:03 am

Before I BC'd I watched all of these You Tube videos how to define your curls and I went out and bought this big jar of Eco Styler for my BC. I get the BC and my hair is really curly.All I need to do is cowash and once it's dry I have really defined curls.

My hair was not like this when I was a child (well at least from what I can remember). Almost all of my childhood pics are of me with ponytails that were braided or twisted. Every time my mom washed my hair she would then blow dry it, straighten it with the hot comb and put it in ponytails. I never just wore it out.

I remember when I was younger and when my mom washed my hair I would always say "Ma, my hair looks like Tracy Chapman." ( don't ask me why, but I remember always saying that. lol) That's how I thought my hair was going to be. I asked my mom about my hair when I was younger and she barely remembers herself. (damn shame) lol She just said she remembers it being soft, but not this curly.

My best friend just went natural too, but she says her hair texture is just like she remembers it as a child. Am I the only one going through this? I'm wondering what is coming next. It's so weird.
CeeCee757
CeeCee757

Back to top Go down

Does your hair texture change when you get older? Empty Re: Does your hair texture change when you get older?

Post by Aunt_Lola 22nd February 2011, 10:34 am

HI CeeCee;

It's possible that you didn't have much of a curl pattern as a child because your hair was blow dried and hot combed. All that heat often causes damage and a permanent change to your natural curl pattern. So that even when you don't do those things your hair can't curl how it would normally.

Congrats on your BC. Smile

I didn't know what my curl pattern was as a child because my mom used to shampoo with no conditioner, then brush it into a poofy ponytail. My hair was fine and the brushing would remove any kind of definition. It still does. It's been almost 3 years since my BC and I'm still learning my hair, but enjoying the journey. Wink

Aunt_Lola

Back to top Go down

Does your hair texture change when you get older? Empty Re: Does your hair texture change when you get older?

Post by misskris 22nd February 2011, 2:15 pm

Hey CeeCee. My hair is the same as it was as a child but it can change. But AuntLola is right. With all that heat you wouldn't know what your natural hair really looked like back then. But like, my mom's hair is softer now than it was when i was younger. And definitely different from when she was a girl, I can even tell that from those old pics!!

And yeah congrats on the BC. Just remember to KEEP IT MOISTURIZED!!! That is key!! afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 22nd February 2011, 2:24 pm

My mother seems to think my hair is different now than when I was a child. She combed it almost daily and rarely use the pressing comb - only for special occasions or would take me to the shop to get it done.

She would put my hair in a crown of braids, two French braids, or similar styles. She used Cream of Nature shampoo and this detangling lotion she purchased locally when there was nothing else available (it was the '80s).

She spent so much time on my hair caring for it (not just trying to straighten it), I know she can tell my hair is different now than it was before. My curl pattern wasn't tighter, just less defined.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 22nd February 2011, 3:35 pm

I read somewhere that your hair changes every 7 years (as well as your skin, teeth, organs, etc...). I've always been natural and have definitely noticed a change in my hair. My curl pattern has definitely loosened in some areas.When I was younger I was about a 4a all over. Now I'm more of a 3c around the perimeter, and 4a in the middle.

I also had a childhood friend whose hair was naturally straight. When we were in middle school it started to get wavy, and now its curly all over (probably like a 3a).
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 22nd February 2011, 3:58 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I read somewhere that your hair changes every 7 years (as well as your skin, teeth, organs, etc...). I've always been natural and have definitely noticed a change in my hair. My curl pattern has definitely loosened in some areas.When I was younger I was about a 4a all over. Now I'm more of a 3c around the perimeter, and 4a in the middle.

I also had a childhood friend whose hair was naturally straight. When we were in middle school it started to get wavy, and now its curly all over (probably like a 3a).

My hair did the same thing. Its now 3c in the front, sides and parts of the back (with a tiny bit of 3b in the back) and 4a everywhere else. It used to be just 4a.

I've known people who were bonds as children are brunettes as teens or adults naturally.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by CeeCee757 22nd February 2011, 9:17 pm

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this texture change. I'm so excited for what's to come. I have never felt so free in my life.
CeeCee757
CeeCee757

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty 24th February 2011, 12:08 am

My hair texture changed as well. I don't know why but I also found that the texture I had after my big chop changed as my hair grew longer. Did anyone else see that happen? One other question...does anyone know why some people hair hang and others go out? My hair has a decent length but will not hang. Help!!

ChocBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyporsche_ 24th February 2011, 2:45 am

My hair has changed. My curls were a lot smaller & not as defined when I was younger. I remember my being straightened once for a wedding so I'm sure I didn't have any heat damage.
prettyporsche_
prettyporsche_

https://facebook.com/porsche.olivia

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 24th February 2011, 11:00 am

What a good topic. I've noticed my hair was more of a 3a when I was child and now its more of a mixture of 3A-4A. I guess your hair does change over time.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down