CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I decided to get my hair PROFESSIONALLY flat-ironed and CUT!!!

+35
naturalesque
NaturalDOctor2Be
naomimaxine927
SwanLakeLibra
Naturalin2010
freckledmom4
Janique
Sea-of-Waves
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
naturallynola
tashafawn24
tamtam7
DvaAuNaturel
sweetdrk1
curlytee
Ambitious_Tiff
dajewel
psbest
ladybug
Nali1987
Duchess52
NhappyJackie
nnlathan
Lynnieluve
Aunt_Lola
Jo Somebody
rayray19
DreamMerchant
MEGAFAITH
funkyhairchic
fanmnatirel
CarlaAR
krazy coils
oooop2
39 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I decided to get my hair PROFESSIONALLY flat-ironed and CUT!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: I decided to get my hair PROFESSIONALLY flat-ironed and CUT!!!

Post by funkyhairchic 19th February 2011, 6:21 am

fanmnatirel wrote:Question for the ladies who've flat ironed in the past:
How does it hold up after the gym?
I want to flat iron but I go to the gym 4 times a week. Would it be a waste of time?

Yes. Between the humidity and the sweat, you're looking at a puff ball! Another reason why I may not straighten again, I need my workout time and straight hair gets in the way of that, imo.
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

I decided to get my hair PROFESSIONALLY flat-ironed and CUT!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: I decided to get my hair PROFESSIONALLY flat-ironed and CUT!!!

Post by tamtam7 19th February 2011, 10:23 am

I'm lovin' it! Gorgeous!
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 19th February 2011, 12:02 pm

oooop2 wrote:Thanks for the compliments Wink

Based upon horror stories I've heard on the boards, I was always hesitant to get my hair professionally flat-ironed and cut. But lately, my ends were feeling terrible, so I decided I needed a really good cut. She washed, conditioned, blow dried, cut, and flat ironed my hair. Overall she cut about 1.5 to 2 inches off. I am really happy with my cut and will have this done every 6m.

Regarding working out, she's instructed me to wear a high ponytail when working out. I'll let you guys know how my hair holds up after tomorrow Smile.

did u cut hair previous to this salon visit, as i remember about a year ago you posted a pic of ur hair stretched to around your waist line?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 19th February 2011, 5:53 pm

@FunkyHairChick- Thanks for sharing your experience!!
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 19th February 2011, 9:49 pm

Dajewel,

I was here in Sept 10 after giving myself a few trims:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here in Dec 10 after my 3m challenge:

After the challenge, I started to see a lot of incomplete splits, so I was gradually giving myself trims. But my ends were still feeling dry and matted. So I decided to just have it professionally flat-ironed and cut.

oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 19th February 2011, 11:45 pm

Wow oooop2! Your hair looks so healthy, shiny, and thick!!! I love it!
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th February 2011, 8:05 pm

NICE!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 21st February 2011, 2:57 am

beautiful cheers
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 21st February 2011, 11:40 am

Looks great ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea-of-Waves 4th March 2011, 6:00 pm

Hello Ladies,

I just got my hair professionally flat-ironed as well, yesterday actually...and my beautician of several years chopped of an inch of my relaxed hair. My last perm has been the end of December and since then I've been using Shea Moisture products and doing twist-outs and bantu-knots; not using no type of heat whatsoever.

I understand my transitioning process will take forever since my relaxed hair is to the middle of my back....I feel guilty for straightening my hair and I miss my curly look.

If I was to continue to get my hair flat-ironed, lets say once a month, if that...or every other month would it effect my transitioning process in any way?....getting it straightened will give me a break from having to do mess around w/it everyday; such a relief??????

But will putting heat on my natural hair damage it if I am only doing so once a month? ....PLEASE HELP, I'm new to this.lol.

Sea-of-Waves

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 5th March 2011, 11:57 am

Some recommend not using heat often during the transitioning process, especially since the point where the two textures meet can be particularly weak. Also, it's possible that the heat can change the texture that's growing out and loosen the curls. This may or may not happen but why take chances lol.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 5th March 2011, 4:29 pm

Simply Beautiful!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 6th March 2011, 5:51 pm

oooop2 wrote:My ends were feeling TERRIBLE, so I decided to "TRUST" someone else w/my hair and get a decent cut.

Very, very nice!! Your hair looks very healthy and shiny Smile

freckledmom4 wrote:Simply Beautiful!

Hi freckledmom4! Love the avitar!!!!
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanLakeLibra 6th March 2011, 6:26 pm

Oooop2, it's beautiful and I hope to "TRUST" someone one day to flat iron and trim. But my dream is to have a fro like your avatar.

oooop2 wrote:My ends were feeling TERRIBLE, so I decided to "TRUST" someone else w/my hair and get a decent cut.

Here are the results:

Thanks for letting me share Smile
SwanLakeLibra
SwanLakeLibra

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 6th March 2011, 7:14 pm

They did a great job, you hair looks good!
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalDOctor2Be 7th March 2011, 2:09 pm

oooop2 wrote:Dajewel,

After the challenge, I started to see a lot of incomplete splits, so I was gradually giving myself trims. But my ends were still feeling dry and matted. So I decided to just have it professionally flat-ironed and cut.

Your hair is the bomb.com!!!! I love it! Hey where did you get that measurement shirt from? I want one, but my hair is not long enough to use it yet, but I want one!! Thanks for sharing your story!! I look to you for inspiration on transition journey!

NaturalDOctor2Be
NaturalDOctor2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 8th March 2011, 9:20 pm

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it Smile

Sea-of-Waves wrote:Hello Ladies,

I just got my hair professionally flat-ironed as well, yesterday actually...and my beautician of several years chopped of an inch of my relaxed hair. My last perm has been the end of December and since then I've been using Shea Moisture products and doing twist-outs and bantu-knots; not using no type of heat whatsoever.

I understand my transitioning process will take forever since my relaxed hair is to the middle of my back....I feel guilty for straightening my hair and I miss my curly look.

If I was to continue to get my hair flat-ironed, lets say once a month, if that...or every other month would it effect my transitioning process in any way?....getting it straightened will give me a break from having to do mess around w/it everyday; such a relief??????

But will putting heat on my natural hair damage it if I am only doing so once a month? ....PLEASE HELP, I'm new to this.lol.

I found this link that I think can help you. I've been natural since Feb 9, 1998, and I never transitioned. Back then, I didn't know anything about transitioning and just assumed that you cut all of the perm off when wanting to go natural. So I went from a SL perm to a scalp cut in 1 sitting.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/02/5-attributes-of-successful-transitioner.html

Janique wrote:Some recommend not using heat often during the transitioning process, especially since the point where the two textures meet can be particularly weak. Also, it's possible that the heat can change the texture that's growing out and loosen the curls. This may or may not happen but why take chances lol.

I would also agree regarding using heat as little as possible.

SwanLakeLibra wrote:Oooop2, it's beautiful and I hope to "TRUST" someone one day to flat iron and trim. But my dream is to have a fro like your avatar.

Thank you...And although I don't wear often, I definitely appreciate my fro Smile

Here are the results:

Thanks for letting me share Smile
[/quote]

NaturalDOctor2Be wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Dajewel,

Your hair is the bomb.com!!!! I love it! Hey where did you get that measurement shirt from? I want one, but my hair is not long enough to use it yet, but I want one!! Thanks for sharing your story!! I look to you for inspiration on transition journey!

I got the measurement shirt from someone selling them on LHCF.com about 3yrs ago. Here is a link to some tees:

http://273748.spreadshirt.com/hair-growth-chart-tee-A6969127/customize/color/1

oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalDOctor2Be 10th March 2011, 5:23 pm

Thanks for link oooop2! Looking at your username are you a Delta?
NaturalDOctor2Be
NaturalDOctor2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 11th March 2011, 11:33 am

Looks very pretty.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty_Vee 11th March 2011, 1:42 pm

Very pretty!
Pretty_Vee
Pretty_Vee

http://www.pretty-girl-rock.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 12th March 2011, 12:21 am

NaturalDOctor2Be wrote:Thanks for link oooop2! Looking at your username are you a Delta?

No problem. I think that shirt is actually better than the one I have.

And yes, I'm a Delta. This April will mark 17yrs Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezebel 12th March 2011, 11:46 pm

Very nice!! It looks very healthy!!
Jezebel
Jezebel

Back to top Go down

Post by barbie007blaque 13th March 2011, 12:41 pm

Your hair is beautiful!! Can't wait to achieve that length!!!!!
barbie007blaque
barbie007blaque

https://www.youtube.com/barbie007blaque and http://www.twitter.com/ba

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 13th March 2011, 1:01 pm

LOVE your hair! Beautiful Smile
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2