CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna on Transitioning Hair

+2
Madeaj
vgreen350
6 posters

Go down

How many people applied henna when transitioning?

Henna on Transitioning Hair I_vote_lcap83%Henna on Transitioning Hair I_vote_rcap 83% 
[ 5 ]
Henna on Transitioning Hair I_vote_lcap17%Henna on Transitioning Hair I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Henna on Transitioning Hair Empty Henna on Transitioning Hair

Post by vgreen350 16th February 2011, 12:55 am

I have a question. I have been transitioning for a little over a year and I have strongly been considering henna treatments. But, I have a few questions:
1. Can you apply henna to relaxed hair?
2. Will you have two different colors on your hair (a more muted color on your natural hair and a deeper color on your relaxed hair)?
4. Is Cassia a better option?
5. Is it better to get henna applied professionally? If so do you know of any NC salons.
I am really looking for something to manage the two textures because I do not feel ready to BC yet.
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

Henna on Transitioning Hair Empty Re: Henna on Transitioning Hair

Post by Madeaj 16th February 2011, 1:19 am

vgreen350 wrote:I have a question. I have been transitioning for a little over a year and I have strongly been considering henna treatments. But, I have a few questions:
1. Can you apply henna to relaxed hair?
Pure Body Art Quality henna can safely be applied to relaxed hair.

2. Will you have two different colors on your hair (a more muted color on your natural hair and a deeper color on your relaxed hair)?
I don't know the answer to this, but the best way to check is to save your shed hair and do strand tests to see what the color will look like. Relaxed is usually more porous, so it would probably take color faster. Henna does build up to a saturation point, so the more treatments you do the darker the final color. It will not lighten dark hair, though. So if your hair is dark, you will likely get just a reddish glint in light.

4. Is Cassia a better option?
Cassia is a good temporary option. It is sometimes sold as neutral henna but it is a completely different plant. But the strenghtening and conditioning benefits are similar to henna. Cassia only lasts 3-4 weeks, while henna is permanent. Cassia will not color dark hair, but it will dye light blond and grays a blond color.

5. Is it better to get henna applied professionally? If so do you know of any NC salons.
Henna is messy, but it is so easy to apply. You could go to a salon. Maybe one of the other NC ladies will know of a salon that does henna.

I am really looking for something to manage the two textures because I do not feel ready to BC yet.
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

HTH
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by JaliseH 17th February 2011, 12:57 am

Ive been wonder the same thing. Ive been transitioning for 7 months and I want to try a henna treatment.
JaliseH
JaliseH

Back to top Go down

Post by vgreen350 17th February 2011, 3:52 pm

Thanks Madeaj for your updates they were really helpful

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 18th February 2011, 1:47 pm

I can only speak from my experience with henna.

I have been transitioning for 14 month now. I have been applying henna monthly since December of last year and last week I applied it for the third time. I plan on doing henna monthly. I used the instructions given by Curly Nikki on her site. My hair is in good condition. I don't have dryness or breakage. I think you can do henna your self. It is messy and time consuming. I think you will be ok as long as you wear gloves cause it will stain hands. Make sure you deep condition afterwards with a protein free conditioner because henna is kinda like protein according to some of the info I have read about it. If you are concerned about the color you will have you could uses hair from your brush and test it.

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by vgreen350 18th February 2011, 1:58 pm

Thanks Sheri,
I am a little over a year so it is great to know that you have had such good results. What type of protein free conditioner would you recommend. I was thinking about applying a homemade coconut deep conditioning treatment. Do you think that would be sufficient?

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 18th February 2011, 3:32 pm

What's in it? I just used the generic matrix Biolage conditioning balm from Sally Beauty Supply but I am sure the homemade conditioning would be good.

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 18th February 2011, 3:52 pm

What's in it? I just used the generic matrix Biolage conditioning balm from Sally Beauty Supply but I am sure the homemade conditioning would be good.

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by vgreen350 18th February 2011, 4:16 pm

It has coconut cream, coconut oil, honey, and olive oil. I leave it on for deep conditioning and moisture.

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 18th February 2011, 4:39 pm

That sounds like would work. It won't hurt to try. Worst case scenario would be you would have to do another conditioner. I add honey and olive oil to the matrix conditioner I use sometimes too.

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by vgreen350 18th February 2011, 4:46 pm

Thanks, I can not wait to try it. You were very helpful.

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 18th February 2011, 4:51 pm

You are welcome!

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by reeko43 19th February 2011, 11:59 am

Hi I am new here. I have been transitioning for almost 7 months. I was experiencing a lot of breakage and tangling. I almost gave up the transition. Started reading up on henna on another forum and then found this site which has been most helpful.

I did my first henna last weekend. I am so hooked! The change in my hair was immediate! I have had less breakage/tangling and colord my gray better than the semi permanents I was using.

I used Jamila henna ordered off ebay, 2010 supersift. mixed with raspberry green tea (all I had in the house, lol) couple of tablespoons of acv (approx) and ground clove. Mixed honey in after dye release and applied. I made sure that the henna mixture was thick like something between yogurt and cake icing. I had no mess on the floor, sink at all.

Afterward I did a dc mixture of Elasta QP DPR-11+, aloe vera gel, olive oil and honey. I am so hooked now! I am going to do one more henna today using cocoa nut milk instead of the tea and I will use the same dc. I just wish i had started this sooner. My transition would have been so much easier!

reeko43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheri 20th February 2011, 2:53 am

Henna is the truth.

Sheri

Back to top Go down

Post by secret_karma 20th February 2011, 10:36 am

vgreen350 wrote:I have henna on my hair right now Smile I've been transitioning for about 8 months but I also used henna when I was completely relaxed with no problems. Here are responses to a few of your questions:

1. Can you apply henna to relaxed hair? Yes, as another member mentioned just make sure it's pure henna (Jamila is good).
2. Will you have two different colors on your hair (a more muted color on your natural hair and a deeper color on your relaxed hair)? I have found that the henna takes better on my natural hair, but it's not a huge color difference; I also add cinnamon to my henna so that gives it more color.
5. Is it better to get henna applied professionally? You can apply it yourself, just make sure to take your time and cover your floor when you apply just in case you spill any. Just an fyi, I have spilled some on my bright pink rugs in the bathroon and it cleaned up with no problem, but just to be safe, put newspaper down until you get the hang of it.
secret_karma
secret_karma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down