CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sew-in protective style

+6
MEGAFAITH
krys419
jackiej
creolebeauty1
Nali1987
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
10 posters

Go down

Sew-in protective style Empty Sew-in protective style

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 4th February 2011, 2:56 am

So I really feel like I need to put my hair away for a while. I am just tired of dealing with it and tired of looking at it right now. I don't wanna do anything drastic so away she goes. I'm not getting braids because they never last for me and I am still dealing with some postpartum shedding so I don't want the weight and tension of braids on my hair. I was thinking about getting a full sew-in but I've never had one before (full or partial). What do you ladies think? Is it a god PS? Do you think it would still be too much tension on my hair? I really don't want to damage it. I would only keep it in for 2 months max (if i could even make it that far.) Also who should I go to? I am deathly afraid of the Africans (PLEASE NO OFFENSE TO MY AFRICAN SISTERs ON THE BOARD) b/c the ones around here do not listen, they're rude, they pull the shit outta your hair and think it's perfectly fine to leave you with no hair line. Do you think they do a better job than a black beautician though? Please reply and tell me how what you think about full weave or even partials and how to care for one. Also I want to use human hair but I really can't afford to spent too much. Is any of the human hair at the bss ok to use? which brand? (curly weave). Thanx girls.

Back to top Go down

Sew-in protective style Empty Re: Sew-in protective style

Post by Nali1987 4th February 2011, 3:01 am

God, I get my braids done by an African lady and she's just as you described. First off, she doesn't speak Dutch and my French is limited so we can't communicate. She's so rough with my hair! I detangle and smother it with moisturizer and she still pulls at my hair like it's unbreakable! It pains me to admit I went to her twice. She charges 30 euros while the black salons will ask 150! But my edges are damaged and this can't continue. I'm in need of a protective style and I don't want to put in braids either. So I'm curious to the replies as well.. Smile
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 4th February 2011, 3:02 am

I do not get braids for that reason, my edges lock up after a few weeks , i would suggest you try buying a wig you can corn row your hair underneath and wear it and take it off at night to sleep and even wash your hair thouroughly when you desire Smile i love wigs they have been a life saver for me during this transition and probably will be my go to PS during my transition or a full saw in would work just get a curly style for easier blending if you plan on having a part or something because if you get a straight weave with a part you might have to straighten your hair for blending
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 4th February 2011, 3:07 am

I ridiculously fear wigs flying off in the wind. Razz
Have you purchased yours online? I'd like to check some out, while I still have edges left.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 4th February 2011, 3:11 am

@ Nali I wore wigs for 11 months straight and bunds due to my transition heck my avatar is a wig i cut lol Check out my youtube www.youtube.com/caniela23 all my earlier videos are wigs i own and wear that's the only style i find to not stress my edges and preotect my hair they have full wigs with combs in them and they have half ones with combs the ones that don't you can add combs or even bobby pins
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 4th February 2011, 3:23 am

I guess my only problem with wigs is that I don't wanna be able to take it off. I don't even wanna have the option to mess with my hair.

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 4th February 2011, 3:45 am

LOL @ Craving curls than a weave may be your best option than Smile you can get a full saw in with bangs Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by jackiej 4th February 2011, 2:09 pm

I had a weave done 2 weeks ago and think you might really enjoy the experience.
How about going to a wig shop and trying on some different styles to see if long or short, straight or curly suits you. Many years ago I used to cornrow my hair and have my wig sewn on, the wig would be human hair so that it could be washed and it was never sewn to tight. I would say go for it! Very Happy

jackiej

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 4th February 2011, 5:07 pm

I have worn weaves for the past year.

Well a little less.

I get full sew ins. Prior to this year my edges were a little bad, so this year I always tell my Beautician to leave my edges out or to braid it lightly there. My edges are fine.

I leave my weaves in for 14 weeks (3 and a half months).
I wash my braids under every two weeks and rise the weave hair weekly (I use straight hair. I know curly hair will last 2 months TOPS)
I spray my braids once or twice a week with Witch Hazel to cleanse.

My edges are fine.
Braids are good but it has to be the right person. micros and individuals are bad. Box braids are great.

I'm taking my weave out this Saturday, so I will take a picture of my hair straightened. My avatar is from last January 2010. In the past year I have trimmed off a few inches so My hair should be around the same length or a few inches longer.

I'll let you know about the hair condition.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 4th February 2011, 8:59 pm

try box braiding your natural hair 3 weeks at a time i am pregnant and i have decide this is what i am going to do that way i can take my hair out easily and treat my hair
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 5th February 2011, 4:00 am

How do I do the box braids? Just grab hair and start braiding?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 5th February 2011, 12:59 pm

I just tried to post and got an error saying the website is too busy. *sigh* Re-write...

I think sew ins are a great ps! Your hair is not manipulated for weeks at a time and its protected from the elements. I like human hair better because it can be heat styled if neccessary. Synthetic will melt (not a good look). I personally have worn plenty of sew ins and my hair is in great condition. Not to mention I retained a lot of length. I usually kept them in for approximately 2 months. Kry315 gave some pretty good tips on care. My sister has sew wigs and they have looked good and the removal appeared a lot easier. You may wanna look into that. As far as what brand hair to use... Well it really just depends. If you don't think you will be able to keep it long or just wanna test the waters for a few weeks, I would likely go for something relatively cheap like Sensual or Milky Way. Just keep in mind cheaper hair will be more prone to shedding and the tracks may not be as full. If you're dedicated, you may wanna just go ahead and spend the chips for something good like Bohyme or Outre Velvet Remy. HTH!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 5th February 2011, 5:51 pm

i understand your frustration with wanting to put your hair away b/c i am there too. i went 'wig' shopping last weekend and saw SO many cute options. sew-ins can be a great alternative/protective. but there are several variables to consider as with any 'weave' style - the stylist needs to be in tune with what your goals are (holding on to your edges, being able to sleep at night sans tight/throbbing scalp, etc) i would say 'shop' around in terms of the stylist you choose. you mentioned that braids never lasted for you due to weight/tension (same for me). my strands are fine and my scalp/skin is sensitive. for years i would spend a good penny to getting micros, tree braids, weaves, etc. and honey my scalp and hair suffered. i would keep the style in for as long as i could, to get my monies worth. but recently, after having an allergic reaction to the hair that was used, i only kept the style for 3 days.... smh .... i had to come to grips with leaving braids/weaves alone. since you've never had a weave just keep in mind that there is still a little tension involved, depending on how tight your cornrows are when you first get the sew-in (from the cornrows/thread), but is does ease up in time. how do you feel about being able to get to your scalp to clean it? you can request that the stylist cornrow your hair in a pattern that makes your scalp more accessible by letting her know that you don't want the braids too close together. let us know what you decide chica. check out the links below for other alternatives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk4-Yx2_7dc&feature=fvsr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDGTdj6vKg&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDxOgUM1vI (watch 1st)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtfmuN0ggk&feature=related (2nd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HRjDqo69mA&feature=related (3rd)
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 6th February 2011, 12:59 pm

Weaves are cool. I had a weave in my hair for a while before I started rocking the two strand twists and twist outs. You can also wash your hair with the weave so that's a good thing too. Just make sure you grease your scalp and use a really good leave in conditioner before you get the bad boy sewed in.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 6th February 2011, 10:45 pm

I have just made up my mind to get a sew in next weekend! My hair is real funny these days and I dont really know why....it wont stay curly...kinda does a half frizz half straight thing!

So Im going to attempt to keep the sew ins going until spring.....we'll see!!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down