CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions

+7
Mizz Niecy
Divinebeauty87
ChrsLvsBks
LilMsPuddles
SisterBoyd
AfrikanLatina
msjakkia
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions Empty Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions

Post by msjakkia 6th December 2009, 1:17 pm

I have researched this topic so much than I am going cross-eyed. Ok, so after searching my local area, I was only able to find Afshan henna, but am going to try two more stores today. I have read reviews on them but I am still nervous since no one here has mentioned them. I am going to look for Jamila or Rashma(?).

My question is now this. I was reading when Curlynikki first started henna'ing, she was using ACV and honey and not Green tea and honey. So, whats the difference in the green tea and the ACV?? I have ACV already, but will need to buy green tea, so if the ACV works the same, I am going to spare myself the additional cost at the moment.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions Empty Re: Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 2:43 pm

Apple Cider Vinegar is very acidic so for some people it can be very drying to their hair. Green tea is acidic but not as acidic as acv Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions Empty Re: Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions

Post by msjakkia 7th December 2009, 12:29 am

Thanks. Ok, last question. After mixing the henna, green tea, and honey I have found that my paste is darker greenish brown. I read that this may mean that it is no longer effective. I am now scared to put this on my hair. I am way stressing over this.....Part of me just says just do it, the other part is afraid of hair that will feel like a haystack or see no change at all.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 7th December 2009, 12:29 am

AfrikanLatina wrote:Apple Cider Vinegar is very acidic so for some people it can be very drying to their hair. Green tea is acidic but not as acidic as acv Smile

Can I just say I want my hair to come out just like yours! your color is amazing!!!
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 7th December 2009, 4:55 am

So are people using henna for color or for some other reason? I never understood the purpose of henna.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 7th December 2009, 8:10 pm

SisterBoyd wrote:So are people using henna for color or for some other reason? I never understood the purpose of henna.

You can use henna for color, conditioning, hair thickening, to get rid of lice, to get rid of ring worm and thats all I can think of now hair wise
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 7th December 2009, 9:44 pm

Ok, so I did some driving today and found a place that sold reshma!!! YAY!!! I discarded my last batch and used that. I know I may have wasted some henna but when I looked at it today, the color had never changed from the mud look, so I followed my instincts.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 8th December 2009, 1:36 am

I think you made the right choice. If you didnt see the dye release after letting it sit then it probably was no good. It would suck to go through the whole process for no reason. It wouldn't harm your hair but it wouldn't help either.

My hair is a dark brown so I wasn't thinking that I would see a real change in my hair color but in the right light you can definitely see that the color has attached to my hair. I don't mind it although I really use henna for its conditioning and thickening . Smile

I want to know how your first henna goes!!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 8th December 2009, 8:01 pm

I am doing it tonight! I will let you know and try to remember to take pics. I am so bad at documenting this process in photos.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2009, 10:05 pm

msjakkia wrote:So, whats the difference in the green tea and the ACV??

If nothing else, ACV smells to high heaven. I used it the first time I used henna. The smell got to me but I sat through it. Never used it again though.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 9th December 2009, 11:30 am

Ok, so I have completed my first henna, and might I say that the prep, application, and rinse out wasn't as hardly as painful as I thought. I learned young and have been doing my own relaxers for years so I equated the mess to that. I got a little on a old robe I wore to catch the mess, but that's it. My husband and son both said "What's with all the mud?" I simply explained it and moved on. My husband was completely confused as to why I am doing all this. It was written on his face. So I said to him, "This is a plant that aids in conditioning hair. It is an all natural method and as I learn more I will integrating them into my life and becoming a more organic, and healthier person all the way around, so get ready." He said nothing more. In the end, he will love the change. If not, I do and my confidence will radiate. Who can be mad at that?

Ok, so back to my henna, I actually was a bit stressed about the washout. The henna was thick, so I just knew I would be washing it our for days and leaving residue everywhere. But I placed my head under my bathtub faucet, rinsed out pretty easily, and moved to the shower.
Once I rinsed, I was nervous about the way my hair felt because it felt hard even under water, but after much conditioning and a DT, I was good. When I detangled, my already thick hair was HUGE!! I am taking volume for days!!! I can also see reddish tint on my ends, so in the upcoming days I look forward to seeing what the outcome is.
One reason it took so long to henna was because I am busy mom of a toddler, and my husband and I have 5 kids. That with working leaves me little time to do things. I actually have a meeting today at 10, and cannot do my typical braid out and sleep on it, plus it's freezing outside so I gave a myself a wreath french braid if that what you call it, (it wraps around the sides and back of my head) applied my shea butter and aloe vera gel on the edges, and have to now sit under the dryer for a few. I try to avoid as much heat as possible.

My overall impression is that I can do this regularly, maybe once a month. I just have to carve out the time with my crazy schedule. Balance in my life is still a challenge for me. Pics to come!!
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 9th December 2009, 2:16 pm

I want to try henna but what happens when I decide to flat iron my hair? Will it be harder to straighten? Easier? No difference at all?
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 9th December 2009, 2:55 pm

Divinebeauty87 wrote:I want to try henna but what happens when I decide to flat iron my hair? Will it be harder to straighten? Easier? No difference at all?

In my experience there is no real difference, maybe it's slightly easier.

@ msjakkia Congrats on the first henna!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 9th December 2009, 7:35 pm

thanks @LilMsPuddles for clearing that up for me. I will try my first henna tomorrow!
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Sill haven't henna'ed:( have more questions Empty Henna

Post by Mizz Niecy 10th December 2009, 1:11 pm

I want to put a Henna in my hair, but I have dye in my hair. The last time that I dyed my hair was about 6 months ago and I don't want to dye anymore. When can I Henna, or can I????

Niecy

Mizz Niecy

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 10th December 2009, 2:10 pm

MsJakkia...WELCOME TO THE HENNA SISTERHOOD LOL. I'm glad you liked it. I have a 5 month old and I usually have to henna when daddy is home because putting that stuff on and then having to stop to deal with him is a NO NO. I'd have henna all over the place.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 10th December 2009, 4:06 pm

Ladies...I have been researchin henna for quite some time as well...and I am not sure what type to use...or where to even find it. I am in the boston area and it looks like none of you all are from here, but what type of store can I go to get this? From what I gathered...its not something I can pick up at a hair store.
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 10th December 2009, 5:19 pm

Check to see if you have an Indian Grocery store in you area. Then based on what type of henna they have do research from there. Thats exactly what I did. My local indian grocery store was carrying Karishma henna. I came home and researched it and found that so many women particularly on the LongHairCareForum website loved it. I tried it and I love it too Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 5:50 pm

How much should it cost? I saw some yesterday when I was buying my shea butter and it was $1.99. My friend said she didn't think that was right. She sent me this website http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf where it cost upto $65.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 10th December 2009, 6:08 pm

Nope, $1.99 is a good price. I spend $1.29 on my Karishma henna. If you check out my Butters N Bars thread you'll see how much progress my hair has made in such a short time. Its growing and my shedding has gotten so much better. Some henna is thought to be better based on the crop and how fresh it is. While you don't want to use really old henna you dont have to use the most recent crop. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 6:43 pm

AfrikanLatina wrote:Nope, $1.99 is a good price. I spend $1.29 on my Karishma henna. If you check out my Butters N Bars thread you'll see how much progress my hair has made in such a short time. Its growing and my shedding has gotten so much better. Some henna is thought to be better based on the crop and how fresh it is. While you don't want to use really old henna you dont have to use the most recent crop. Smile

Ok I'm going to check with my friend about the brand. I think it was the Jamila...I think...
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 10th December 2009, 7:06 pm

Jamila is one of the pricier brands of henna. I believe they have a 2009 crop.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by wild_honey 11th December 2009, 1:21 am

@SisterBoyd I really love your haircolor. Is that all from henna?
wild_honey
wild_honey

http://princessofpauper.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 11th December 2009, 1:47 am

So I was totally excited about my Jamilla henna from Amazon and I open it to see it was cellophane not foil, I remember reading to get the foil but now I cant remember why. Should i return it? Should I use it up (i have 600g) and then buy foil next time? Whats the adverse effect of the cellophane packaging?
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 11th December 2009, 2:36 pm

wild_honey wrote:@SisterBoyd I really love your haircolor. Is that all from henna?

Thank you! No, that's Sebastian's Cellophane Red Red. I think that was my first time using it. I usually love this Sebastian's Cellophane and I normally use the blondes. This winter I decided to do red, but its leaving a film on my hair I think. My friend uses it and she's been having problem with severe dryness and I think its the cellophane. I'm going to finish what I have and try the henna for the rest of the winter. Or I might try the Cassia over my red. I have quite a bit of grey and I like a golden blonde highlight to it.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next