CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to moisturize while in a Transition/protective style

5 posters

Go down

How to moisturize while in  a Transition/protective style Empty How to moisturize while in a Transition/protective style

Post by miah_23_ncb 26th January 2011, 1:47 am

I am thinking of getting a protective style like cornrows or something of that nature. When I do decide to get the braids I only plan to leave them up 2 weeks at the most (as of now depending on the advice i get) I have several questions:
How long can I leave my hair in this style?
What type of moisturizer would you recommend I out on my hair while in the cornrows?
Would i ever wash or co wash my hair while in the corn rows?

I am more than happy to take in any other advice as well. Tryin to be like a sponge and soak up some knowledge

TIA

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

How to moisturize while in  a Transition/protective style Empty Re: How to moisturize while in a Transition/protective style

Post by Jazzyrin 1st February 2011, 4:22 am

Im no expert but I would say try to keep the cornrows in for as long as possible it is a really good protective style. I had my cousin put about 8 cornrows in my head this summer and I couldnt take it I only lasted a week. I used a moisturizing spray from My Honey Child and greased my scalp w a grease that contains no mineral oil. Me personally I wouldnt wash my hair while in cornrows bc they will start to look frizzy maybe if you had box braids that would be easier to do.
Jazzyrin
Jazzyrin

Back to top Go down

How to moisturize while in  a Transition/protective style Empty Re: How to moisturize while in a Transition/protective style

Post by letha 1st February 2011, 12:06 pm

How long can I leave my hair in this style? Depends if you get braid they can last anywhere btwn 2-3 months.. Cornrows I've made some last 3-4 weeks.

What type of moisturizer would you recommend I out on my hair while in the cornrows? You can use what Jazzyrin suggested or make a moisture mist with water maybe some honey and Aloe Vera Juice.. Sometimes I would just use a mist I have at the house.. Talijah Waleed has a good mist I add water to that because its sooo thick..
Would i ever wash or co wash my hair while in the corn rows? Not in cornrows.. Depending on how far apart the parts are there is a dry shampoo you can use or spray to help cleanse your scalp but just have to be careful not to cause frizz..

I've seen where some people put a stocking cap over their cornrows and just let the water run over their cornrows while in the stocking cap just not sure when it dries if it causes frizzies..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 1st February 2011, 1:51 pm

During my transition I wore 1 set of cornrows and co-washed every other day with no problem....but that was transitioning hair with weave. Now that I am fully natural I still wear my protective styles, usually twists, for 2-4 weeks at a time with minimal DC'ing. As for moisture, I usually spritz my hair with a mixture of water and coconut oil and put on a plastic cap for about 15-30 mins. This does not make my hair wet at all, just a little moist. I do it about 3/week. Here is a link to the video I made about it:

Hope this helps!!!
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 1st February 2011, 10:33 pm

@NhappyJackie: What kind of coconut oil are you mixing with water -- liquid or paste (or does coconut oil even come in a liquid)? Also what ratio? Thanks!

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by miah_23_ncb 1st February 2011, 11:18 pm

Than you ladies. I am so glad I got responses to these questions. Im not sure if i will get the cornrows my head is LARGE. So i am brainstorming for other protective styles.
Thinkin of just sticking w/ a bun for ow since most of my hair is still relaxed.

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 2nd February 2011, 2:23 pm

@Smooth Jazz Luvr.....I just use about a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil and fill the rest with water. That little spray bottle holds 2ozs. (not sure of the actual amount of water I add). Also, coconut oil is solid when cold and liquid with warm or hot. So, I add warm water to the bottle to melt the coconut oil.

Hope this helps!!!
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down