CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transition Style Help!

+2
Sunni J
natural_nance
6 posters

Go down

Transition Style Help! Empty Transition Style Help!

Post by natural_nance 9th November 2009, 3:32 pm

So for the past few weeks I've been googling, you tubing, and constantly blog reading to find a style that will hold as well as look good on my now 2 textured hair. I'm going the longterm transitioning route although I got what I guess you would call a big trim due to me getting my edges relaxed for a sew in. I finally bought some perm rods and did the twist and curl and LOVED it!!! But my problem is that my hair is very very thin the sew in I had thinned my hair so i don't have the fullness that I see in all the pictures and even worse once separated there are spaces between the curls that show my scalp. I really like this style despite it all and wanted some tips on how to achieve some fullness until my hair grows back healthier. Maybe I'm making the twists too small? Or if there any other styles that anyone knows of that might work better. With that said let me note that I've never been that great at doing anything beside flat ironing and I've already tried the bantu knots which I didn't like, I can't do the flat twists on my own,and that goes for the braids as well. Thanks for your help and for keeping me encouraged when I want to reach for the relaxer!!!!!
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Transition Style Help! Empty Re: Transition Style Help!

Post by Sunni J 9th November 2009, 6:50 pm

My biggest suggestion would be just to avoid the tension by constantly pulling it back in tight pony's. I did this for like 2 months straight when I was wearing a phony pony. I was obsessed with slick edges that Im sure my brushing damaged my edges in the worst way. Since learning my lesson with that I can now tell the difference in my hair. In the back where there was less tension from the pony, although 2 diff textures, it is still pretty full. In the front, not so much. A lot of breakage. I have learned my lesson with that one.

So now I just do braid outs. I was fotki stalking [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and found this
http://public.fotki.com/GabbanaGirl/first-braidout/

I can not to flat twists or braids myself- but this worked for me. Granted I do larger braids( 2 rows of two on the side, and 3 braids in the back for blending).

However it is a start.... hope you have better success.
Sunni J
Sunni J

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 9th November 2009, 7:24 pm

Thanx Sunni J!

Your hair is so pretty! I can't wait til my hair gets fuller. I haven't tried a braid out before I think I'll try it w/ bigger braids so that maybe it'll add more volume.
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd December 2009, 1:20 pm

I have two different textures and what helps me get by are two strand twists. Since my ends are still permed and I don't plan to BC any time soon I wear styles that hide these straight ends. I curl my twists with either satin foam rollers or flexi rods and I often wear buns making sure my ends are sealed before I tuck them under. I can't wait to be able to wear WNGs.

BYW, PRETTYDIMPLES01 on youtube has fabulous styles to try. Check her out. She's my favorite. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd December 2009, 5:32 am

Rod like roller sets that can be styled all different ways: updos, side dos, curly frohawk, ponytails, front pinned up with back out, pin one side up and leave the rest out, etc

Watch the styles I try on the shea butters challenge, see what you like and try it.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by sdlovette 7th December 2009, 1:21 pm

I'm currently transitioning medium length hair... One of my FaVORITE STYLES is a twist and curl remix. I twist the hair as if I'm twisitng it into a banto knot but instead of doing the KNOT part I roll it on satin covered sponge rollers in a spiral direction. In the moring I take the rollers out and fluff and my hairl looks like spiral curls all over. I cant do the knots bc I sleep TOOOO Wild and they end up unraveling. Plus this style takes less time.
sdlovette
sdlovette

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 7th December 2009, 2:38 pm

sdlovette:

I think I'm going to try this! I'm doing a Winter bun challenge now but mabye for one of my passes I'll attempt this style. Do you have any pics?
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by sdlovette 7th December 2009, 2:40 pm

I do but I don't know how to upload...I'm working on it!
sdlovette
sdlovette

Back to top Go down

Post by thatmochagirl 8th December 2009, 3:01 am

Here is one of my transition styles!

Try using flexirods - they might add a little volume to your hair and try some bobby-pins to make a cute up-do!

so flexirod your twists... use something to seal your ends of your twists... do about 6 or 7 big twists so they aren't so thin, and rod them into curls with the flexirods. Then after your hair is styled, take out of the rods. Take the bobby-pins and create a nice up-do.. This can make your hair look fuller and have a lot of volume... use Curlynikki's way of fluffing your hair before you create your up-do for added volume!

I hope this helps!
thatmochagirl
thatmochagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down