CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please!

4 posters

Go down

is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please! Empty is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please!

Post by mb430 20th January 2011, 7:41 pm

I have been wearing my type 3c/4a hair in two strand twists for about 3 days now. I didn't like how they turned out and I don't feel like nor have them time to redo them now. Since my hair is currently wavy from the twists I'm thinking it'll be far easier to straighten it. I already did a test on a few strands with my conair flat iron set to 5 and it got almost completely straight. (This is a huge deal for me since it goes to 25 and I have set it to 20 to straighten my hair in the past! I know, yikes.)

Anyway I don't have any heat protectant products and I don't want to continue straightening my hair if it'll get damaged without them. Should I wait until I can buy something or are there oils I can use that will work just as well? confused All I have on hand atm is EVOO and Protectiv Mega Growth Lotion. Also if it matters I've been moisturizing my hair while it was in twists with a mixture of Hello Hydration, water, and evoo.

Thanks in advance ladies.

mb430

Back to top Go down

is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please! Empty Re: is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please!

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 20th January 2011, 9:06 pm

Just to be safe, I wouldn't risk it. Some hair can handle heat better than others. I have heard so many horror stories!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please! Empty Re: is flat ironing w/o heat protectant a bad idea?? Suggestions please!

Post by Lynnieluve 20th January 2011, 9:49 pm

I've heard grapeseed oil works as a heat protectant (NikkiMae2003 used it to blow dry her hair). I used IC Fantasia heat serum (hot pink bottle) when I flat ironed my hair. My hair reverted back.

Like Mandi said, I wouldnt risk it. I, too, have heard SO many horror stories.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mb430 20th January 2011, 10:32 pm

Thank you both. Smile I am thinking I really shouldn't either but I did a google search and found mostly great reviews for using the Profectiv growth lotion as a heat protectant. So now I'm really confused!

I'm going to look into getting some grape seed oil as well.

mb430

Back to top Go down

Post by BlacknGolden 20th January 2011, 10:38 pm

It is highly recommended to use a heat protector when your using heat in your hair. I seen this youtube video for this style where the woman blew out her hair first and she used IC Hair Straightening Serum. I tried it and it worked. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlacknGolden
BlacknGolden

http://Fotki.com/BlacknGolden

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th January 2011, 10:43 pm

BlacknGolden wrote:It is highly recommended to use a heat protector when your using heat in your hair. I seen this youtube video for this style where the woman blew out her hair first and she used IC Hair Straightening Serum. I tried it and it worked. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's the one I have.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mb430 20th January 2011, 11:00 pm

Oh great now I know exactly what to look for!

Also I feel like I should mention I don't plan to try to wear my hair straight for more than a day or two. It would be ridiculously unrealistic since I not only live in a humid climate but also have scalp psoriasis Embarassed and must wash my hair frequently to keep it under control. No way I'm gonna use heat on my hair that often! I just don't have any other option at the moment that won't take me hours and hours. Sad

mb430

Back to top Go down

Post by BlacknGolden 20th January 2011, 11:55 pm

It isnt really a straightening agent. When you wash your hair is should go back to normal
BlacknGolden
BlacknGolden

http://Fotki.com/BlacknGolden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down