CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transition Buddy..

+18
naturellebeaute
sweet_t
lanay
crimson0300
blkdmnd2000
shaun0822
NeeC1
jAmbre
MsQue
cmonewms
tj1970
miah_23_ncb
letha
NewlyNaturelle
gotcurls?
SweetieOne
haapril
Beautifully_Me
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Transition Buddy.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Transition Buddy..

Post by letha 10th March 2011, 11:56 am

naturellebeaute wrote:I know exactly how yall are feeling about the styles not turning out quite like expected. this has been my reality lately as well. to avoid becoming severly depressed (lol) I went and got a set of micro braids which I will keep in for about 2 months.

@letha i'm also trying to make it to 2 years unless my hair doesnt agree. how can u compare your transition right now with where u were about 7-8 months in? has it gotten any better? have u been doing mini chops along the way?

I think it's gotten better as far as detangling because I've been experimenting with products on what helps with detangling and I've gotten better now for styling I am at a crossroads it seems like the further along I get the worse my hair looks and the frizz is out of control. I did cut some of my front part just to see how it would look in twist its just at my forehead.. When I 1st started doing my transition I was chopping like crazy haven't chopped in a while.. I thought about cutting some of my back I have about 2-3 inches left of relax hair..

How is your transition coming?
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini26 17th March 2011, 1:04 am

Is it too late to get a transition buddy?! I just joined the site 3/15/11 but I haven't had a relaxer since October 2010. I'm attempting a long-term transition but it's been trying...some friends have been supportive & others haven't. I have tons of questions & I've been checking this site out nonstop for the past 3 days! On my phone, at work, at home. I'm trying to get as much info as possible to determine the best way to do this and I'm just glad to find one place where I can get the answers to my questions!!
Gemini26
Gemini26

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 18th March 2011, 7:28 pm

Gemini26 wrote:Is it too late to get a transition buddy?! I just joined the site 3/15/11 but I haven't had a relaxer since October 2010. I'm attempting a long-term transition but it's been trying...some friends have been supportive & others haven't. I have tons of questions & I've been checking this site out nonstop for the past 3 days! On my phone, at work, at home. I'm trying to get as much info as possible to determine the best way to do this and I'm just glad to find one place where I can get the answers to my questions!!

Nope, it's never too late! I think we're all each other's buddies. lol Me and SweetieOne both had our last relaxers in October too, so you're right with us. And I know what you mean about stalking the site...I was on here nonstop for about 3 weeks when I first found it, and now it's my home page. Very Happy
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

http://naturellev.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 18th March 2011, 8:36 pm

NewlyNaturelle wrote:
Nope, it's never too late! I think we're all each other's buddies. lol Me and SweetieOne both had our last relaxers in October too, so you're right with us. And I know what you mean about stalking the site...I was on here nonstop for about 3 weeks when I first found it, and now it's my home page. Very Happy

Well since you feel that way... I'm gonna hop on this too. I'm not exactly sure when my last relaxer was (I think summer 2009?? confused ) but my hair has extensive heat damage. I originally planned a long term transistion but I'm getting a little frustrated. I definitely miss wearing sew ins... Is everyone protective styling right now...?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 18th March 2011, 9:43 pm

No, there are a bunch of others who are transitioning without extensions. I wish i could, but I'm too scared to try to handle the textures and see the breakage first hand. Pretty sure it would make me change my mind and go back to relaxing.
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini26 19th March 2011, 12:41 am

@NewlyNaturelle: I'm with you about the weave. I actually witnessed someone getting a relaxer as the sew-in was being removed from my head & I was SO close to saying "me, too!" Last Sunday, I'd made my mind up to give in but after finding this site, I decided against it.

Today, I did some kind of chop (IDK if I'd call it a mini chop) but my hair is even & right below my ears. My hair has never been this short! I'm going on a headband/scarf shopping spree tomorrow until I get a quick weave in a week. I'm scared to keep weave in for long periods of time b/c of my dermatitis but someone suggeseted tea tree oil & neem oil so hopefully that'll help.
Gemini26
Gemini26

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetieOne 19th March 2011, 9:17 pm

Hey! Ladies so im taking my twists out 2morrow night into monday and i cant wait, especial since i went to South Beach today and saw all the naturals i was so excited i said the next time i go im going with a nice twistout (cross fingers) because my hair was acting up before i put the twists in so hopefully it she behave herself lol. I'm also happy because for the first time i can actually see the 1/2 inch growth that your hair grows a month. And my cousin is a hairdresser so i think in like 2-3weeks i am going to ask her to give me a sew-in. I am too excited to see my hair dance lol!
SweetieOne
SweetieOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 20th March 2011, 1:46 am

lanay wrote:Hey! This is such a cute idea! I want to join too! I have never gotten a relaxer before, but I am the product of 'trained' hair/excessive heat damage. I would get my hair straightened every two weeks and wrap it up ever since I could remember. It got to the point where I could go weeks with out getting my hair done or wrapping it and it'll stay straight.

NOW, I am at my 5 month transition and I have fallen in love with my new growth. I am too chicken to BC so I'll be a very long term transitioner and here to share my journey with my transitioning buddies Smile

YAY! You're like my transistion twin! Lol, a fraternal transition twin since you've never had a relaxer. My hair is extensively heat trained as well. How long do you plan to transition?

@ NewlyNaturelle
I feel you. I always say a little prayer before I do my hair b/c I don't know what I would do if I put my hand in and pulled out a clump of broken hair. Prolly this: Shocked pale affraid Sad <---Hysterically. Madness would likely ensue, lol. I prolly would not relax but I am not trying to bc right now. I have never had short curly hair and I know it would be totally different than short permed hair. Admittedly I do love my tncs. I usually were my hair as seen in my avi. Do you usually just wear sew ins? Do you wear wigs at all?

@ SweetieOne
You look just like someone I know. Lol, I just had to get that out. What products do you use for your twists? How long do you leave them in?

How much "good" hair (new growth) does everyone have right now?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetieOne 20th March 2011, 12:06 pm

@ Ambitious_Tiff whoever that person is a beautiful woman if we look alike lol. But i have Senegalese twist in for little over a month now but when i take them out i want to try KCCC because i use to use shea moisture but i left that in Jersey and i think i need something with more hold.
SweetieOne
SweetieOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 20th March 2011, 2:15 pm

Lol, yeah, y'all are some pretty twins. Ok I see. I want to try and get away from using gel. Idk why I never thought to just use some of the Shea Moisture stuff I have. Hhhmm... I love Sengalese twists! I just hate how long they are. I've never seen them in a "reasonable" length.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetieOne 20th March 2011, 7:32 pm

yeah shea moisture is the only thing i tried so far, even tho i like it, i would like a little more definition of curls or some kind of hold so i wear my twist out at least 2 days in a row.
SweetieOne
SweetieOne

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc 22nd March 2011, 3:47 am

OMG, excited. I just joined CN and my last relaxer was 10-23 too. Transition buddies would be great!! It's so much info about products and styles and what to do's and what not to do's that it's almost overwhelming, so having a real person at the same stage as you is cool, I think.

ashleyc

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 22nd March 2011, 12:18 pm

geez, i missed a lot! lol

@gemini26 girl, i havent stepped foot in a salon since last summer LOL i'm actually thinking about hitting up a natural salon next week. my bf's coming into town, and i think it's time i rock my own hair for once...i'm so nervous about it lol

also, with the dermatitis--i have it too (i commented in another thread in this section a few months ago), but I'm still able to keep my scalp in control with the shampoo i bought. Tea tree did not a THING for me. having dandruff and having my kind of dermatitis are two different things, so tea tree was of no use to me. when I have weaves, I use an applicator bottle to shampoo in between the tracks (I dilute the shampoo with a little water). worked like a charm! let me know what you end up doing.

@Sweetie, i swear we do things at the same time! LOL I'm taking my braids out tonight and I'm gonna attempt some kinda twist/braidout probably tomorrow or Thursday. I think I'm gonna get some KCCC tonight too, so we'll see how it goes! If not well, we'll be putting Jackie (the wig) right back on until my next install in 3 weeks lol

@Ambitious, I just bought my first wig 2 weeks ago! It was SUCH an adjustment (i swear ppl were walkin past me staring at this thing on my head lol), but I'm rockin it out now. I got a cheapie human hair one with bangs so that it didn't look TOO fake. I love that I can still get to my head when I get home. And bedtime/sleeping is a BREEZE lol I blogged about it recently, check it out in my siggy

My new growth is SO uneven. The back of my head is growing ridiculously fast. I think I've got a good 3-4 inches in the back there--and it's QUITE nappy too lol Not to sure about the front.

What type of hair does everyone have??
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd March 2011, 2:35 pm

LOL @ thinking people are staring! I used to be like that when I first started wearing weaves! I always swore somebody was trying to do a visual track check if they looked at me too hard. I can't wait to go wig shopping though. I don't know my hair type. I haven't bought into how beneficial it is. I am likely cowashing tonight so I will snap a pic or two and maybe y'all can tell me, lol.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 22nd March 2011, 3:02 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LOL @ thinking people are staring! I used to be like that when I first started wearing weaves! I always swore somebody was trying to do a visual track check if they looked at me too hard. I can't wait to go wig shopping though. I don't know my hair type. I haven't bought into how beneficial it is. I am likely cowashing tonight so I will snap a pic or two and maybe y'all can tell me, lol.

Wait a minute....you have almost 900 posts since DECEMBER??? What the heck have you been talkin about? LOL
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd March 2011, 3:48 pm

LOL! Don't judge me. I have been pretty much all over the boards running my trap. I started my CSJ the other day too? Shhooooot...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 22nd March 2011, 7:24 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LOL! Don't judge me. I have been pretty much all over the boards running my trap. I started my CSJ the other day too? Shhooooot...

LOL No judgement here! I didn't even think to look in the other sections of the forums...now I'm bout to jump in there too Very Happy
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by wishfullyfree 24th March 2011, 11:43 am

Hi everyone. My last relaxer was 10/23/10 and I really need a transitioning buddy. I decided to make the transition for a couple of reasons. #1: I've had a relaxer since I was around ten because I have really thick hair and begged my mom for a perm because my cousin had one. Ten years is a long time and I've lost a lot of length. I have no idea what my true hair-dentity is and I really want to find out. #2: My little sister is transitioning with no choice because her hair can't take the relaxers. She has a hard time dealing with others reactions to her no longer straight hair and I don't want her to go through this alone. And as I experiment with styles and regimens it's creating an extra bond between the two of us. Finally, (I know it's a lot, sorry) I don't really have the support of friends and family. They are clearly creamy crack addicted and don't understand my reasons. My mom and best friend prefer bone straight hair. My brother is the only person that loves the idea of me going natural, but his encouragement can only go so far. Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.
wishfullyfree
wishfullyfree

http://t2nsg.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 24th March 2011, 2:42 pm

Hey girl! Glad we have another buddy! CN is a great place to get encourage and loads of tips. Welcome to you both!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 25th March 2011, 10:06 am

wishfullyfree wrote:Hi everyone. My last relaxer was 10/23/10 and I really need a transitioning buddy. I decided to make the transition for a couple of reasons. #1: I have no idea what my true hair-dentity is and I really want to find out. #2: My little sister is transitioning with no choice because her hair can't take the relaxers. She has a hard time dealing with others reactions to her no longer straight hair and I don't want her to go through this alone. I don't really have the support of friends and family. My mom and best friend prefer bone straight hair. My brother is the only person that loves the idea of me going natural, but his encouragement can only go so far. Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! There's a bunch of us in here that had our last relaxers in October, so you're in good company...me included Very Happy

It's good that you're able to help your little sister through this too, since it looks like all you guys have is each other. You can't change how other people choose to think, so making them accept the fact that natural hair is beautiful is going to take some time. They may not accept it at all...that'll be their problem, not yours. My boyfriend wasn't really down at first....he thought I was gonna look all napped up and crazy, but then I showed him some pics of people that he was familiar with, but never really paid much "hair attention" to, like Yaya Decosta and Jill Scott. Then he was in love with it lol But don't let them keep you from pursuing your goal of healthy hair!

First step for you is to figure out your transitioning plan. You don't say how long your hair is, so I cant give too much on styling tips in that respect. Nikki has done a great job in categorizing her posts, so here is the collection of posts that have been really helpful to me as a transitioner. Find what works for you! It'll take some time, so be patient. This site and Youtube will be your best friends for the next couple of months lol

NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 25th March 2011, 2:11 pm

@NewlyNaturelle
Soooo I snipped off a little hair last night to see what my hair really looks like... This is my curl pattern:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Given what I felt like snipping off that little bit, I am scared I am gonna get too excited and stroke out when I bc, lol.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 25th March 2011, 2:27 pm

LOL! Stroke out of excitement or shock? That kinda looks like my hair, so we may be hair buddies too Smile

So half of my braids are out--yes I'm still rocking the wig lol--but I got the chance to detangle with Knot Today, and OMG i LOVE that stuff! It made the process soooooooo much easier.

I think I'm gonna buy some every time I go to Target in case they ever stop selling it there or something. I always fall in love with products that just suddenly disappear, and then I'm sad. lol

I'm attempting another braidout tomorrow, wish me luck!
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 25th March 2011, 2:51 pm

LOL! Can you say 'PJ?' that happens to me a lot too though. Even with foods I like. Neutral I have been considering getting the Knot Today so I can try the KimmayTube Leave In... I did finally get to try Yes To Cucumbers though. It detangles like a dream! A little something for you to think about, lol.

Hair buddies huh? That's what's up! Smile Excitement or shock? Hhhmmm... Girl, prolly both! So what hair type exactly is this?? Good luck with your braid out. Mine NEVER come out right. Sad
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturelle 25th March 2011, 3:17 pm

Yeah I'm def a junkie, I can admit it lol I think it's some kinda of 4a/4b mix, but I can't narrow down any more than that. That's all that works for me anyway...I just needed a general number for myself so I know what I'm working with lol

I keep hearing about YTC! Just as much as I heard about Knot tOday so yeeeeahhh....I'll be picking that up when my SheaMoisture conditioning milk is all gone Very Happy
NewlyNaturelle
NewlyNaturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by wishfullyfree 28th March 2011, 1:21 am

Thanks tiff and Newly. We both feel welcome. run I frequent bantu knot outs, flat twist outs, and a mixture of both (tnc is a repeated fail). I'll post a pic of my hair length after a cut and color just in case anyone has extra style options. I've opted out of using heat during this process. Hopefully I'm doing something right. What products would you recommend? Right now I'm using Organix Pomegranate and Green Tea condish, EVCO, Africa's Best Herbal Oil and Leave-In, and Cantu Leave-In Repair.

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]
wishfullyfree
wishfullyfree

http://t2nsg.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next