CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best twistouts?

+12
freckledmom4
DreamMerchant
MissyCee
naturallynola
Ambitious_Tiff
laleepop14
Takeya
curl_Gurl
justicenga
BajanPrincess82
ajsimmons8
NaturallyBriaful
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The best twistouts? Empty The best twistouts?

Post by NaturallyBriaful 15th January 2011, 1:12 pm

Hey everyone i wanted to ask a question, okay i just first started 2 strand twisting on my very curly 4a hair and it seems when i take them out and do a "twist-out",they dont look so good as other naturals i see on yt or on the boards. They're hair looks like a 4b im asuming and much poofier than mines, so does 4b's seem to have the better looking twists and twist-outs?
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

The best twistouts? Empty Re: The best twistouts?

Post by ajsimmons8 15th January 2011, 3:36 pm

Hi Naturally, I have the same problem, my twist out never look good; they're more frizzy/poofy than defined and I've used Eco olive styler gel, KCCC and nothing seems to work. HOWEVER, I just did my first braid out last night after shampooing, conditioner and leave-in conditioner, I used aloe vera gel and this morning, I have crazy definition. I'm thinking braid-outs may be the answer I was looking for.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 15th January 2011, 4:07 pm

I'm a 3c/4a mix and I love braid-outs as well. For me they look better, stretch my hair more (less shrinkage!) and last longer than twist-outs. Also, I only have to do like 9-11 plaits to get a well-defined look. With twist-outs I'd have to do way more twists to get definition.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 15th January 2011, 4:21 pm

@Banjan, what do you use on your braid-outs?
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 16th January 2011, 1:14 am

Naturally, what do you used on your twist outs?
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyBriaful 16th January 2011, 2:00 am

jsticenga: I used cantu-shea butter, curls creme brulee, castor oil, curls refresher spray, and some vitamin e-oil. Thats pretty much it. : P I might try the braidouts like evreyone else is saying cause i might have to pass on the twists.. ;l
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 16th January 2011, 3:11 am

ajsimmons8 wrote:@Banjan, what do you use on your braid-outs?
I use either regular conditioner (usually herbal essences) or the kimmaytube leave-in, my shea butter/coconut oil mixture, and a little bit of gel for hold. I do the plaits on damp or dry hair so they aren't all shrunken, but they'd probably last longer if I did them on wet hair.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 17th January 2011, 12:25 pm

Is it better to do braid-outs in plaits or cornrows? which is better for definition or hold? Does it make a difference?
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 17th January 2011, 1:23 pm

@Curl, since I'm lousy at doing cornrows, I do mine in plaits and the definition is really good. Very Happy
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 17th January 2011, 1:56 pm

Naturally you might want to try something with more hold...my product of choice is Afroveda pur whipped gelly. I also like eco custard.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 17th January 2011, 2:07 pm

I also forgot to add, that I usually do my braid-outs using aloe vera gel; sometimes I will use the ECO Olive Oil Gel.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 17th January 2011, 3:06 pm

I may try these techniques because my twist-outs are total FAILS...they look frizzy, dull and shrink up more than my wash-n-go's. I haven't tried a dry twist-out yet so maybe that or a braid out is the answer!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 17th January 2011, 4:22 pm

Yeah my twists outs usually come out okay also. My go to style is about 6 or 7 cornrows going back and then I take them down in the a.m. I also found out that my hair doesnt need a lot of products. My best results have been when I only used a leave in and some kind of moisturizing product along with a tad bit of gel.
@ Naturally, maybe you are using too many products. One of the best lessons I have learned so far on my journey is that my hair doesn't need a lot of products just one or two of those things might do the trick. I think every one's hair only really needs a few basic things to really thrive; water, good conditioner, a good leave in, moisturizing product and a great styling product (a great cleansing shampoo of course). Im about a 4b/4c.

I also absolutely love Organix anti breakage serum(coconut milk) or their anti frizz serum( think that one is pomegranate) for putting on each section of my hair before I braid it.

Hope that helped some...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th January 2011, 5:43 pm

I agree with laleepop. My twist outs come out way cleaner when I use less product. You may want to try a lighter oil too. Castor Oil is so heavy...To achieve the one below I believe I only used Aphogee Leave in Conditioner Spray, Cantu Leave In, and Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion. I also always do them on wet to damp hair. When I take it down, I make sure I have some kind of oil on my hands, usually coconut or EVOO and it reduces frizz. I agree the shrinkage is ridiculous but its pretty well defined, I think. I had to figure it out b/c I cannot cornrow to save my life and my braid outs never turn out right. But anyway, HTH!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 17th January 2011, 5:49 pm

I have a question for you ladies, for those that do braid-outs, what is your night-time routine? I find that in order for me retain the definition, I almost have to braid everything back up again and even then, on the 2nd day it starts getting frizzy.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyBriaful 18th January 2011, 12:10 am

So ya'll do twist outs on dry hair?, and yeah i think ima just use less products like a leave-in and some oil may do the trick. Smile
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th January 2011, 11:13 am

AJ, see the link below to see if you feel your initial method of braiding could benefit from any adjustments. Personally, I get b/t 2 - 3 post wash braid-out days without using any holding product. I use the Kimmaytube leave-in as my moisturizer and styler. Even when I work out, I can get 2 - 3 days by wearing a pineapple. I secure the hair at the top of my head with a satin scunchie(sp) and secure the loose hair with bobby pins, which maintains the curl more b/c the hair is not loose. Also, I don't do any real fluffing. I separate in the 3 sections and just lift the hair a little at the root. I find if I minimize disturbing the hair, I will get that 3rd day without any holding product. I actually "plait" and they are tight. You could consider a holding product and/or more braids, if that is appropriate for you.

I sleep on a satin pillowcase and that is it. I only re-braid during the week if my hair needs moisture or I am experimenting with products. I transition into an updo when the braidout won't work any longer. Hope some of this is helpful.

http://www.maneandchic.com/2010/05/10-tips-for-perfecting-your-wet-set.html

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th January 2011, 11:15 am

Lookin good, Tiff Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 18th January 2011, 12:38 pm

Thank you Nola, I'll try that. I think I'm guilty of putting too much "stuff" on my hair and I need to get back to keeping in simple. Is there a 12 step program I can join for "keeping it simple" lol!
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th January 2011, 8:29 pm

AJ, you are in mixed company, especially when we begin this journey. There is a YTer, who I can't name at the moment, but she mentioned how we sometimes make it more complicated than it needs to be. She said she uses most of the same products she used when she was relaxed. The concept is the same re: cleansing and moisturizing. Its the how, the techniques, and the trial & error of products in case the same ones don't work or we know not to use them anymore--LOL

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 18th January 2011, 8:39 pm

Hi Naturally, in my first attempt of keeping it simple, I did shampooed and conditioned my hair today, while it was still damp, I took a little bit of coconut oil, about a nickel size amount and ran that through my hair. I then applied the leave-in conditioner (kimmaytube's mixture) and then, with fingers crossed, I did small twist. Right now there are looking soooo good, but we'll see how they look in the morning when my hair is completely dry. These are my first twist with no other products, gels, etc. Wish me luck. Smile
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 18th January 2011, 8:43 pm

Naturallynola, that is a great comment. I think we must all try to overdo to make it look "right".
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th January 2011, 8:58 pm

MissyCee, I also think we let the PJism monster get us b/c there are so many wonderful products out here that it distracts us from from our mission. Clean scalp and moisturized hair will always be an environment for healthy hair. That will not change.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 18th January 2011, 9:10 pm

I totally agree and admit that when I decided to go natural, I made a commitment to myself to do most of my products DIY. Although my pjism did get a little out of control with all of my different oils. I also succumbed to trying other different products such as the entire line of KCCC, shea moisture and yes, I have a big tube of ECO Olive Oil gel.

My goal, for the health of my hair and my wallet is to not buy any more products and use what I have. flower
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 18th January 2011, 11:34 pm

When I first started doing twistouts, my hair as poofy and undefined. I do not know if my hair just had to get used to being twisted (kind of like twist trained) or if I finally got the correct products for my hair. It will get better! My hair cannot function if I do a dry twistout. My hair has to be wet.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next