CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

+19
naturalhonney
Curly1
poeticlyspkng
CeeC
ajsimmons8
Duchess52
tshala
BlondeByDesire
Madeaj
sonance
sweetdrk1
SisterBoyd
TLog77
Sebastain13
Renny
TheRYL1
MissyCee
ChrsLvsBks
NylaCoils
23 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? - Page 9 Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by sweetdrk1 9th February 2011, 12:52 am

Nyla OMG I am sending some love to your Sis! I can't even imagine!

Ryl...gurl ain't that hate RIDIC? Instead of embracing and taking a chance to get to know someone new..they act like friggin kids! Mess! I swear!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? - Page 9 Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by NylaCoils 9th February 2011, 11:26 am

Hey Yall!!
Ryl- next time - yall should be the host. Invite a bunch of your curls and throw that heffa some shade...OK, OK, dont do that! ROFL

So my sis went back to her hubby....All I can say is ..RUN!! Not really, but I wish I could! In her words...The heart wants what the heart wants!!

Sitting here watching my FIRST LADY, aint she SHARP???
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 9th February 2011, 2:20 pm

Hey Y'all! How is everyone? I hope everyone is well! Very Happy

Nyla...I had the same thought...next time, I'll be the host and show folk how you treat people visiting your home! Um huh! LOL

Sweet...how you feeling? ;-)

Yes, I love the First Lady! Funny, The Man...LOVES "Michelle" (as he calls her). Her and Nikki Minaj...I think I'm the middle ground between the two! Lucky brotha for RYL!!! cheers
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2011, 5:22 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hi ladies,

I have been fighting bronchitis so I worked from home all week! Sasha has been under a scarf because I just wasn't up to doing anything. I will do a DC at some point today, heck I need to get up and do it now! Lol!

Enjoy your weekend ladies!
Hope you are feeling much better! Did you DC, if so, what are you currently using?

TheRYL1 wrote:Hey Ladies!

@Nyla...Wow! That's all I can say. That happened to a friend of mine some years ago...and she found out because HER check was garnished (once they were married) for back child support. SMH Your sis is in my prayer for real!

How is everyone? Was your Super Bowl Sunday all it was cracked up to be? Me? It was cool. Went to The Man's people's house. The lady of the house was cool...but the "friends"...I could have really done without them.

Q: When did Black women start being so nasty to one another? I mean can't open your mouths to speak to a sista because you don't know her? Or obviously talk about someone, like little girls? Since Black men don't "like" us, we want to follow suit, perhaps? I don't know...it just saddens me.

Now, because I'm older and my mama raised me right...I just drank my dranks, ate my snacks, and watched the game. No need to be a poster child for ignorance, but, for real sistas? This is what's hot in the streets? (Riley, Boondocks...I love that cartoon!)

So...I come to my Curly Friends...please give me some BLACK LOVE, y'all...I NEED IT BAD! Very Happy
Man, I thought this was a DC area thang. I see it is not. I cannot stand that. That is why I have very few female friends. The ones I have, only a couple are Black, so sad.

TheRYL1 wrote:Hey Y'all! How is everyone? I hope everyone is well! Very Happy

Nyla...I had the same thought...next time, I'll be the host and show folk how you treat people visiting your home! Um huh! LOL

Sweet...how you feeling? ;-)

Yes, I love the First Lady! Funny, The Man...LOVES "Michelle" (as he calls her). Her and Nikki Minaj...I think I'm the middle ground between the two! Lucky brotha for RYL!!! cheers
Ryl, you are too funny!

Yes, how are y'all doing?I am doing good, no complaints.

Natural hair ladies are meeting up again this weekend. I cannot wait to see DvaAuNaturel, nubienatty and the other ladies, lots of new ones, who will join us. I plan to speak on the curly hair basics.

I recently spoke to a group of college students on Howard University's campus. There were about 25 in attendance, including Hurricane Curly Smile . They were receptive and had tons of questions. Y'all this is really my passion. I'm wondering where it could lead me. In the mean time and between time, I'm going to keep researching and finding out as much as I can about natural hair.

Here are a couple of pictures from recent styles & makeup.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 9th February 2011, 6:00 pm

ChrsLvs, nice pictures and thanks for sharing them. I'm a firm believer in following and pursuing your passion and eventually a door will open for you. Have you ever thought of partnering with a non-profit organization that focuses on women? Not sure if they have Dress for Success in the DC area, but that one off the top of my head that I can think of. There are so many women out there that need guidance in with their hair and if that's your passion, you'd be a perfect fit.

I volunteer with a non-profit here in the tampa area Veterans Employment Network and we focus on Women Vets who are homeless and help them get employed. I know that there are plenty of organizations out there that would definitely welcome you and your passion.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 9th February 2011, 7:51 pm

"Man, I thought this was a DC area thang. I see it is not. I cannot stand that. That is why I have very few female friends. The ones I have, only a couple are Black, so sad."

No, Chrs...it is not just a DC thang. Honestly, the women friends I have are old friends from my teens or co-workers I've known for years. I haven't made a new female friend in a long time. Yeah, it is sad!

Enough of that...look at you, doing big thangs...lookin good as always! ;-)

You know I'm finding, I really love natural hair. I find myself giving advice, suggesting products/oils, etc. I've really been considering beauty school in the near future. Why? I have quite a few friends who do hair, but they primarily do weaves (lol). But, I know there is a market (and it's growing) for someone who is knowledgeable about natural hair...from its health to the styling. I know I'm on to something, too...I was driving to work yesterday and came up with a cute updo. I need to try it on someone (my neck will hurt if I do it for myself...LOL). Funny, I did everyone's hair while growing up...now here I am, coming full circle!

I found you don't have to go to beauty school to do braids, twists, etc. But a license is needed for cutting, coloring, AND WASHING. Well, hell, I'd like to be a well-rounded hair professional...not just the chick that can twist your hair! LOL

Y'all...I was gonna order some Jamaican Black Castor Oil (Sunny Isle)...I love it. But, it's $16.50 for shipping...hell, that's more than the product! WTH?!? BTW, the JBCO site has a special going on...VALENTINE is the code 15% off. So, if I get 3 bottles...with tax it's $27...but $44 with shipping. Suspect I'm thinking, I'm going to the Vitamin Shoppe and just get whatever kind they have. Rolling Eyes

Later, y'all!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2011, 11:27 pm

@aj, great idea! I will do some research.
@ Ryl, check out ayurnaturalbeauty.com. She is a natural and sells JBCO.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 10th February 2011, 2:17 pm

Hey Ladies...Happy Almost Friday to ya! ;-)

Chrs...that bun in your avi iz the biz! Thanks for the scoop; I'll check it out!

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 10th February 2011, 3:21 pm

Hey y'all
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 10th February 2011, 3:25 pm

Hey Shee, Happy Thursday Very Happy
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 10th February 2011, 7:16 pm

Chrs...thanks for that info! I got some JBCO and some henna, hibiscus powder and a couple of other items...$61.00 AND free shipping! Very Happy

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 11th February 2011, 1:07 pm

Hey Ladies...Happy Friday!

Last night...

The Man: So you're not messing with ya hair...you letting it rest?

Me (twisted all week): Yeah, it needed a break.

The Man: Well, that's cool. You can let it dry out--all the oil you put in it--and nap up!

Me: What? LOL

I didn't try to explain that drying out is the last thing I want. I can't complain though...he loves my nappy hair!

Have a good one, y'all!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 11th February 2011, 1:10 pm

Hey Shee!
RYL- you and the man are too funny! Sounds like it is getting all serious!!
Dont tell me that I am going to have to come back to CALI for a wedding!

Hair news- couldn't find my henna - found some old blonde color that I had in the house. Hopefully, it will only darken some of these greys!

Man news- the spark fizzled out with the ex. On to the NEXT!!! lol
Just hate that I wont be getting nothing for Valentine's Day!!!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 11th February 2011, 1:23 pm

Hey Nyla! I'll keep ya posted on that one! ;-)

Now what color will you get using blonde? Girl, you are fearless...LoL
I ordered some hibiscus powder...said mixing w/henna will give black cherry kinda color. I can't wait to try it.

Well, hey...good you found out now instead of going further with the ex. YEP...ON TO DA NEXT ONE! cheers
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 11th February 2011, 1:29 pm

Ryl- you can also add beet juice for the same effect!! I have done that before, too!! Take a can of beets and drain the juice.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 11th February 2011, 2:23 pm

Hi Nyla!!

I'm so glad it's friday!! I am going for a fierce twistout tomorrow. I hope it looks and feels as soft as these twists do.. If it's a success I'll be sure to take pics and post.

Smooches
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 11th February 2011, 6:14 pm

Hey Ryl - let me know how you use the hibiscus powder? I did a henna treatment yesterday using a 50/50 ration of henna and indigo. Although I like the color - it's a very very dark rich brown and it covered the grays wonderfully dance I would like some reddish/auburn highlights. I'm taking all suggestions. I have the hibiscus powder but don't have a clue what to do with it. confused
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 11th February 2011, 6:17 pm

Aj- Regular henna mixed with anything will give you auburn color.
The blonde was a bust!! DId not work at all!!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 11th February 2011, 6:22 pm

Hi Nyla, sorry to hear about the bust with the blond. Have you tried henna with indigo? it covered my gray hairs beautifully with no orange clown color.

Sooooo, for the auburn color, do you think I can take some hibiscus, a little henna and about of cup of cheapie conditioner and leave it on for about an hour, I'll get the auburn highlights I'm looking for?
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 12th February 2011, 3:35 pm

Hey y'all!

AJ...I haven't received the hibiscus powder yet. Once I get my hot lil hands on it, I'll be able to give ya some answers. ;-)

Nyla...So what happened? Was your hair too dark to get a "response" from the blond? Well, I know you're gonna mix up something else! LOL

How goes it ladies? Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 12th February 2011, 4:27 pm

Hey Ladies, so I went ahead a took the plunge and decided to use the hibiscus powder as a conditioning treatment since I forgot to do a DC on Thursday after henna'd. I mixed the powder with some warm distilled water, honey, EVOO and a little condish. Let me tell you, that stuff was splattered all over my bathroom No It is definitely messy - be warned. What a Face

It's sitting in my hair now, which has saran wrap and a plastic cap, and I plan on leaving it in for another 30 minutes, hopefully, it will give me the DC I'm looking for. I'll keep you posted. flower
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 12th February 2011, 8:04 pm

Update on the hibiscus powder condish: not my favorite Mad , although I don't hate it, I just could not see a difference in my hair from the hibiscus and the other Ayurveda powders that I use. After rinsing my hair for a few minutes, my hair felt a little hard so I followed it up with a little of HEHH condish to soften my hair up. Not sure if I'll try the hibiscus powder again, at least not until I use up the other powders that I have. Oh well; as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 13th February 2011, 1:48 pm

Hey Ladies,

work has been crazy and although I am not sick I just haven't been feeling like myself. It was then I realized I hadn't been taking my BP meds. So my focus has been my health. I have to do better...so I haven't really been in the mood to talk about hair. But this weekend is the NJ CN meet up. We have a small group but I am excited to meet everyone! I will take tons of pictures of course!!

Valentines day..my honey gave me $$$$ so I think I am going to get the makeup brushes I want! cheers

Ryl you and the man are too cute!

You guys are so adventurous with the henna and color and thangs. I am so afraid to try that stuff!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 13th February 2011, 4:16 pm

Sweet!!!! That is a number one no no!!! You better be watching out for yourself!!! I hate when I forget, so I know how you were feeling.

Hope you meet up is fantastic!!! We had a huge group yesterday hosted by Dvaaunatural!!! It was great. Chrsluvbks was there along with others whose faces I recognizaed but couldn't remember names. Loved it and looking forward to more.

And I got two packages of jamila henna and conditioner!! Fun!!!
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th February 2011, 4:45 pm

MissyCee wrote:
Sweet!!!! That is a number one no no!!! You better be watching out for yourself!!! I hate when I forget, so I know how you were feeling.

Hope you meet up is fantastic!!! We had a huge group yesterday hosted by Dvaaunatural!!! It was great. Chrsluvbks was there along with others whose faces I recognizaed but couldn't remember names. Loved it and looking forward to more.

And I got two packages of jamila henna and conditioner!! Fun!!!
Hey lady! Sorry we did not get to converse more. There were so many ladies. It was an amazing turn out. Have fun with the henna and conditioner!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next