CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Moisture Smoothie/Frizz

+4
blknwhtbeauty
Sthrngal92
Kekecurly
Chelnmike816
8 posters

Go down

Shea Moisture Smoothie/Frizz Empty Shea Moisture Smoothie/Frizz

Post by Chelnmike816 6th January 2011, 9:45 pm

Hi Ladies

I really need some help here.I have been using nothing but the Shea Moisture Smoothies as my styler.It works very good,its moisturizing and after i scrunch a tiny bit of crunch my hair is perfect. But everytime i was my hair before i get a chance to put anything in my hair its sooooo frizzy.It used to be frizzy only in one spot in the front but this time it was frizzy all over.Why is that? Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture Smoothie/Frizz Empty Re: Shea Moisture Smoothie/Frizz

Post by Kekecurly 6th January 2011, 9:55 pm

i been meaning to try the smoothie, but how many times do u condition/ DC that may be the cause. If u already DC enough, try a hot oil treatment, hth!

oh and how does smoothie smell and is it very thick like gel or creamy like a butter?

Kekecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 6th January 2011, 10:05 pm

Its creamy thick and the smell is really good.My husband loves the spell and uses it in his hair too. The thing is i use it as my styler and i wash my hair once a week.So i put the smoothie in once or twice a week(once after washing then maybe a second time to refresh other than that i use water).

I still don't understand what's wrong and why my hair is so frizzy.

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 6th January 2011, 11:06 pm

Hi Chelnmike816! i also use the smoothie and i am not having the same issue (frizz). I DC, DT, wash, oil, and style my hair once a week. before applying the styler (shea masque) i always apply a leave-in condish then the smoothie and finish with oil to seal in moisture. i use my smoothie on 2 day hair to retwist/rebraid for definition and moisture as it is not enough moisture for my freshly washed hair. Frizz is sometimes the result of under moisturizing so maybe the smoothie alone is not enough and you might want to try adding a leave-in condish before or applying oil after you use the smoothie. hth! this is a pic of a twist out using shea moisture

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Last edited by Sthrngal92 on 6th January 2011, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 6th January 2011, 11:15 pm

Your hair is Beautiful Sthrngal92!!!!

I love your hair color by the way. Thanks for the advice,I think i might put a little oil on it before the smoothie and hopefully that will help. I see your hair is about the same length as mine.What do you do for night? (Bonnet,Loc soc, Pineapple)?

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 6th January 2011, 11:27 pm

Thank you! That hair color has driven me batty and caused more hair woes lol...another post though. I'm a silk scarf girl all the way. Since my hair is thick but fine, i retwist/rebraid every night. It only takes me about 5-7 minutes, since I have finally mastered a pattern lol....between 8-11 twists or braids for any of my hairstyles.
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by blknwhtbeauty 6th January 2011, 11:53 pm

How much are u using? I found that if I use very little on soaking wet hair from the shower it keeps my curls very defined with no frizz, your hair may only like the smoothie when it is very wet.
blknwhtbeauty
blknwhtbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 7th January 2011, 12:04 am

I think u are right.But its still frizzy in the front.But its definitely better soak and wet

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 7th January 2011, 1:33 am

I second deep conditioning (with heat)! Even with the best products in the world, if moisture is not inside your hair strands, it's gonna act like a spoiled toddler (hence the frizz). Try it out and then see how your styles come out Smile
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 11th January 2011, 11:29 am

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I haven't down any deep conditioning but I have added oil to my wash and go with the smoothie and still nothing.IDK what's going on my hair is frizzy and dry but when i keep adding oils my hair just gets greasey.I love the smoothie and it has worked for me until this started happening.IDK if i should just start using a different product?

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 15th January 2011, 4:18 pm

Chelnmike816 wrote:Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I haven't down any deep conditioning but I have added oil to my wash and go with the smoothie and still nothing.IDK what's going on my hair is frizzy and dry but when i keep adding oils my hair just gets greasey.I love the smoothie and it has worked for me until this started happening.IDK if i should just start using a different product?

I think the problem unfortunately may be the smoothie. I used it and loved how it moisturized my hair, but I started having the same problem. My hair was moisturized but frizzy/poofy. I don't know if it was too moisturized by the smoothie, or something in it just caused the frizz, but as much as I wanted to love it I had to let it go. It works well for lots of women, but I found that all of their products just caused crazy frizz and shrinkage for me. When I stopped using their products, the problem went away.

Last edited by PrincessRN on 17th January 2011, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out a word)
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 16th January 2011, 5:44 pm

Hi Ladies, I'm not familiar with the product, but check the ingredients to see if there is either protein or glycerin in it. If there is protein in it, your hair could be getting too much from either other products or your shampoo or conditioner. If it has glycerin, and it's cold where you live, the moisture may be pulling out of your hair. Just a thought.

Although I live in Florida, I had to switch up some of my products that contained glycerin in them when it got really cold here a week ago.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 18th January 2011, 12:14 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:Hi Ladies, I'm not familiar with the product, but check the ingredients to see if there is either protein or glycerin in it. If there is protein in it, your hair could be getting too much from either other products or your shampoo or conditioner. If it has glycerin, and it's cold where you live, the moisture may be pulling out of your hair. Just a thought.

Although I live in Florida, I had to switch up some of my products that contained glycerin in them when it got really cold here a week ago.

It does have Vegetable Glycerin in it and it has been around 18 degrees in Ohio this winter. So you think its taking the moisture out of my hair?

Thanks for the help

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 18th January 2011, 12:22 pm

It could be the culprit; I would avoid products with glycerin in them until the weather gets warmer and try products that are moisturizing and then seal the moisture with either oils or butters.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 18th January 2011, 12:45 pm

I'll try that .

Thanks for your help Very Happy

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 18th January 2011, 1:07 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:It could be the culprit; I would avoid products with glycerin in them until the weather gets warmer and try products that are moisturizing and then seal the moisture with either oils or butters.

I think i'll just go back to conditioner only for awhile

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 18th January 2011, 5:27 pm

Hi Cheln! I live in Ohio too and it has been VERY cold here! I normally use the smoothie too but have switched to something different for the winter. My hair doesn't love a ton of glycerine but that product has worked for me. I decided to give it a break for a while but I do think that it would be ideal for you to stop using it for a while to determine if in fact that is the culprit. Are you using it for a wash and go?
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 18th January 2011, 6:57 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hi Cheln! I live in Ohio too and it has been VERY cold here! I normally use the smoothie too but have switched to something different for the winter. My hair doesn't love a ton of glycerine but that product has worked for me. I decided to give it a break for a while but I do think that it would be ideal for you to stop using it for a while to determine if in fact that is the culprit. Are you using it for a wash and go?

Yes it has been sooo cold and you would no since your a Ohioan.LOL.I am going to give it a break I was using it about once or twice a week for a wash and go.I would wash my hair and use only the smoothie and reapply maybe once more during the week.I'm gonna just go back to conditioner only for awhile.

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 18th January 2011, 7:01 pm

Hey there Chelen, it looks like you were applying the shea moisture frequently throughout the week and between pooing. I would definitely lay off the shea moisture smoothie for awhile. If you hair is lacking moisture, try spritzing it with Aloe Vera Juice and then sealing it with sometype of oil. Another alternative would be use the kimmaytube leave in; it has aloe juice (Moisture), conditioner and oils (which will help to seal in the moisture)
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 18th January 2011, 7:09 pm

Ok Thanks for all the suggestions.It helps a lot.

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down