CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

braid outs and twist outs

+3
Sebastain13
NewlyNaturalT
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
7 posters

Go down

braid outs and twist outs Empty braid outs and twist outs

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 1:20 am

which is better for a twa b/c i haven't had too much luck w/ a braid out; it just doesn't look right to me (maybe i'm not used to this whole natural thing yet Sad ) but i haven't tried twist outs yet; also when doing these styles, what products are good?? should i use eco styler, moisturizer, oil or what??? confused

Back to top Go down

braid outs and twist outs Empty Re: braid outs and twist outs

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 6th January 2011, 1:23 am

If you want curls Twistouts are better. Braidouts give you krinkles. I twist using leave in conditioner. I've also done them using gel, grease, water, and curl activator.(separately) It's all just a trial and error game.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 1:25 am

yea...my hair is already curly...just alot of irritating frizz and afro looking ish all over the place; i just want something to make it look better and where i won't have to resort to wearing a wash-n-go in this cold weather *sigh* thanks for the advice Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNaturalT 6th January 2011, 3:04 pm

Okay so I just bc'd yesterday and joined the twa crew Lol... Afterwards I just used some leave-in that I made then flat twisted my hair. I slept with my little heater and fan close to my bed so that it would dry while I slept. After about a 6 hour sleep my hair was dry 95% (I had one really big twist going down the back that didnt dry completely). I untwisted carerfully as I could in an attempt not to disturb the curl pattern with jojoba oil that I rubbed onto my hands trying to get the most on the tips of my fingers. The oil added shine and I hear it's good for the ends. I love the results. I wore it plain today but I plan to put on a cute headband tomorrow. I can also play it up with a flower on the side or clip one of those diamond studded barretts on the top or side. Hope this helped. Very Happy

NewlyNaturalT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 3:36 pm

o ok @NewlyNaturalT..
that's good that ur style came out good Smile however, i never been the type to stick a flower upside my head lol, but um i think i'mma try this twistout or braidout thing whenever my hair gets a little longer b/c it's frustrating trying to braid or twist my hair and it's only 4 inches long w/ madd shrinkage.ugh Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 6th January 2011, 7:59 pm

I have the same amount of hair that you do strawberri and I do twist outs daily I love it I wet my hair daily(at night) because of dryness (that has helped)so just try it to see if you like it Let us know
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 9:41 pm

yea..i'mma try a different approach b/c maybe the way i'm going about it isn't 100% idk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 6th January 2011, 11:52 pm

Hi! Even though I'm out of the twa phase I can still remember my styling woes. I encourage you to enjoy this phase and the ease of care that comes with it, because next stop is "can't style in-between length" phase lol. When my hair was in the twa phase, ecostyler was my best friend! I would co-wash with suave, rinsing out 80%, then apply evoo, and finally ecostyler, combing it through with a wide tooth comb. I would loosely cover my hair at night with a silk scarf. In the am, I would spritz lightly with water and run my fingers over the flat spots. Concerning twist-outs/braid-outs, it depends on the look you are trying to achieve. If you're going for length, then braid/twist from dry hair. You may have to rearrange your wash schedule if your washing on a weeknight. I would also play around with the size of your braids/twists. For me, the shorter the hair the smaller the twists/braids, ex. when I had a twa i would put in 15-20, now i only need 8-11. As far as products go, a healthy regime for your hair is best regardless of length! No matter what the length of my hair was/is, I have always DC, DT, wash, oil, & style once a week. My hair loves protein, so V05 mm is my BFF lol! I also had to switch from co-washing back to shampoo and I learned that no oil does for me what EVOO does! Hth!
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 7th January 2011, 12:04 am

When my hair was shorter, twist outs looked better.
Now, braidouts look better.

My hair also gets less tangled when i do braidouts...

I use Quemet Biologics and a tiny bit of KCCC for a lil hold....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2011, 2:59 pm

@Sthrngal92..
i'm guessing, it's too late for all that b/c i just found out today that i am in the in-between phase... Rolling Eyes and boy do i hear it's a pain in the ass to be in this phase Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 8th January 2011, 12:07 am

Lol, yea can't tell you any different. In that phase I wore an afro puff, and when i say wore, I mean for like a 1 and 1/2 years lmao. I still retained length and moisture by following my above posted regime. Here are some pics of my puff through out that year. Hth!

12-19-2008
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

7-16-2009

11-29-2009

Last edited by Sthrngal92 on 9th January 2011, 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change pics and add dates)
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th January 2011, 12:32 am

@ sthrngal92..
all that in the 1st and last pic is ur hair?? cause my hair is only like 4-5 inches; my puff isn't that big...it's like a beginner puff Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 8th January 2011, 12:20 pm

Sounds like we are about the same length...twistouts work best at this length. I tried a braidout once and it looked crazy as heck! It really doesn't matter what you use, but of course gel will give you a more defined set, but it may come out a little crunchy. I like to do about 7 flat twists going straight back. The result is what you see in my avi.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 8th January 2011, 8:48 pm

I did a lot of braidouts when I was in the twa phase. Twists really shrunk a lot on me and the plaits helped to stretch my hair out more.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 9th January 2011, 6:28 am

Yes ma'am, all of that is mine's lmao! I have never been the one for weaves, I can probably count on both hands the times I've worn extensions lol. at that time i was VERY low manipulation. i might detangle every 2-3 weeks lol. I didn't use any styling product so my hair didn't get build-up/dirty that quickly. all i would do was mix 50/50 water and suave condish in a spray bottle and spray my hair liberally to moisten. then fluff with my fingers to disperse product and refresh curls. then i would literally tie my hair back with a modified goody hair band (the cloth kind with the seam, i would cut it open at the seam). and that's it! i have so many more pics because that was how i wore my hair EVERYDAY! as the days went by the puff would get bigger and bigger lol.
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down