CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a Big Sis! Houston

3 posters

Go down

I need a Big Sis!  Houston Empty I need a Big Sis! Houston

Post by virtuousbycreation 28th December 2010, 9:37 pm

Hey Ladies,

This is my fourth time bc'ing. I didn't last in the past due to lack of knowledge. My latest bc was 11/15/2010. I'm not really sure if i'm kinky, curly, or wavy. Help Please! Oh and I would love to have a big sis in the Houston area.

Peace and Blessings
virtuousbycreation
virtuousbycreation

Back to top Go down

I need a Big Sis!  Houston Empty Re: I need a Big Sis! Houston

Post by coilykinks 29th December 2010, 10:22 pm

Hi Virtuous! I too am in Houston.

I have been natural for about a yr and 9 mos. Your hair looks great in the avatar.

Are there any specific questions you have?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by virtuousbycreation 30th December 2010, 2:02 am

Hey CoilyKinks,

I guess my major question is about products. The things that I have right now are Giovanni Tea Tree Poo and Conditioner, KCCC, Curly Magic from Uncle Funky's Daughter, EVOO, and shea butter. My routine is pretty much wash and condition every morning and I finish with either KCCC or Curly Magic. Do either of those products seal? Do you use cones or sulphates? I see that a lot of curlies use herbal essence's products. I believe that they contain sulphates and cones... so does it matter? Lastly, how did you get through the twa stage? I hate to say it but short hair is not for me... and I'm really ready for it to grow!!! Oh and what kind of curl do you think my hair is? 3 or 4 I don't know....
[img]
virtuousbycreation
virtuousbycreation

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 31st December 2010, 12:42 am

Ok, if your hair is the length shown in your profile pic I would guess it would be a 3. I would not get hung up on the hair types. It is short right now, but I think its very cute. Embrace this stage with your hair. I remember when my hair was short I hated it too. Now that I have more hair, sometimes I wish it was shorter. More hair requires more, but you do have more versatility with longer hair.

For me, I try to use products without cones. My deep condish and some of my other fav products do contain dimethicone. I do have Herbal Essences products and they have worked wonders on my hair. My twa days, I wore lots of puffs (which now I regret-because it was too tight and pulled on my edges), I also had a stylist to do coil twists for me. I wish I had worn my short afro more.

Stop worrying about the length of your hair(I know it can be hard, because I did the same thing), it will grow and when it does you will be like wow.

I will pm you my cell number.

TTYL
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturellebeaute 10th February 2011, 6:59 am

I'm also in Houston and just learned about this whole natural big sis thing. Im a little over 7 months into my transition and it would be such a great help to get advice/tips from someone who's already been there.
naturellebeaute
naturellebeaute

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 10th February 2011, 11:48 pm

Hi naturellebeaute! Whats styles have you been wearing?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturellebeaute 11th February 2011, 2:56 pm

Hi Coilykinks, I feel like Ive tried almost everything under the sun! I started out w/ flatironing my roots early in my transition until I realized that could damage my curl pattern. Then i moved on to braid and twist outs which didnt really look too good at first. I got a set of individual braids and then a flexirod set in a solon. Ive also tried roller wraps for the straight look without so much heat. Then I revisited the braid outs and variations of it which started to look better (for some reason twist outs and flat twist outs dont work on my hair). I also do bantu knot outs which work sometimes. Then i got into protective styling which included mostly buns and updos of failed braid ot bantu knot outs. Now I'm just trying to listen to my hair and see what works best. When all else fails, I bun!
naturellebeaute
naturellebeaute

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 12th February 2011, 11:40 pm

There is tons of info on this site about transitioning including products to use and styles to try. This has been very helpful to me and so many others. Its also addictive, so read all you can and take notes.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down