CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser?

+4
joneeron
envizionj
atangledmess
afrolicious
8 posters

Go down

Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser? Empty Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser?

Post by afrolicious 26th December 2010, 2:03 am

Hi Everyone,

I"ve been doing the amla and brahmi treatments for about three weeks. I think it's great as it makes my hair feel thicker, but my hair also feels coarse. Parts that were sleeker now the curl feels tighter. Not as soft. I found this to be interesting and I was intrigued. Surprised I'm not sure if this has to do with mixing it with green tea or not. Just wanted to know if anyone has had this experience as well.

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser? Empty Re: Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser?

Post by atangledmess 26th December 2010, 2:11 am

Hello Afro, I've not used alma yet but I'm waiting for my shipment. Would you mind telling me what is brahmi? I henna last week and loved the results. My coarse tangled hair feels softer but it did loosen my curls some. I don't mind since I rarely wear my hair out - tangles too much. Thanks for your response.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser? Empty Re: Does Amla & Brahmi make the hair feel coarser?

Post by envizionj 26th December 2010, 9:22 pm

afrolicious wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I"ve been doing the amla and brahmi treatments for about three weeks. I think it's great as it makes my hair feel thicker, but my hair also feels coarse. Parts that were sleeker now the curl feels tighter. Not as soft. I found this to be interesting and I was intrigued. Surprised I'm not sure if this has to do with mixing it with green tea or not. Just wanted to know if anyone has had this experience as well.
Afrolicious, did you add any oils to your Amla and Brahmi mix? You should add some oil to your hair before applying or directly in your mix (e.g., coconut oil, Black Jamaican castor oil, extra virgin olive oil). The powders are beneficial, but can also be drying. flower

Last edited by envizionj on 26th December 2010, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 26th December 2010, 9:27 pm

atangledmess wrote:Hello Afro, I've not used alma yet but I'm waiting for my shipment. Would you mind telling me what is brahmi? I henna last week and loved the results. My coarse tangled hair feels softer but it did loosen my curls some. I don't mind since I rarely wear my hair out - tangles too much. Thanks for your response.
Atangledmess, Brahmi is thyme leaves. sunny

http://heshpharma.com/hair-care-products.html

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hesh Brahmi Powder
Ayurveda's most potent hair vitalizer

Hesh Brahmi Powder has the following advantages:
- Cools the scalp and induces sound sleep
- Controls dandruff
- Makes hair long, dark, Dense & lustrous
- Strengthens hair roots

flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 27th December 2010, 4:50 am

Yes I did mix it with oils. I've also used it to wash my hair and did a hot oil treatment first.

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th December 2010, 5:08 am

afrolicious wrote:Yes I did mix it with oils. I've also used it to wash my hair and did a hot oil treatment first.
How many tablespoons of the Amla/Brahmi are you mixing with oils? I have lately been using 1 tablespoon each of Maka powder and Brahmi powder mixed with my favorite conditioner with 1-2 tablespoons of either Black Jamaican castor oil, coconut oil, or sweet almond oil. sunny

I save my Amla powder for my henna mixes since it is somewhat acidic.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 27th December 2010, 5:19 am

I think I do two tea spoons of amla and 2 of brahmi. I may add a little more just in case it's not enough. Then add a teaspoon or tablespoon depending of the need, of castor oil and olive oil. I think the miss is conditioner? Doesn't that cut down on the full treatment?

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th December 2010, 5:39 am

I find that adding conditioner eliminates dryness and does not prohibit the effects of the treatment. I normally mix the powders with hot water and allow the potency to release for 15 minutes. Then I had my oil(s) and conditioner and mix to a pudding consistency. I put on my plastic caps and electric heating cap for 30 minutes to 1 hour. sunny

If you add conditioner to your mix, you only have to rinse with warm water afterwards since you washed your hair before applying the treatment. I normally rinse out the powder mix with warm water and apply a little more conditioner and rinse again. The result is butter soft thick hair. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 27th December 2010, 5:59 am

thanks sounds good. The added conditioner afterwards, to do you leave it on for like 10mins? Or do you have to do additional moisturizing deep treatment?

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th December 2010, 6:42 pm

I use the conditioner like I would shampoo. I put about 2 tablespoons in my hands and massage it throughout my hair, then rinse. No need for more deep treatments after the ayurvedic powders mix. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by joneeron 7th January 2011, 2:14 am

You must add a little oil on your hair before using or directly into your mix as an illustration, coconut oil, black Jamaican castor oil, extra virgin olive oil. The powders are beneficial, but can also be drying.

joneeron

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 7th January 2011, 3:43 pm

I cosign Enviziony's opinion.
If you mix your plant powders with a good conditioner, it can help with dryness. If possible, choose a silicone free brand (I like oyin's honey and hemp for this purpose) b/c I am not sure whether the sislicone can block out the amla and brahmi to work at your strands. I have better rsults when using a cone free conditioner. I pre-condition with warm coconut oil (usually with a few drops of ylang ylang and patchouli EO) for about an hour, then put the herb hair mask on.
Two or three treatments a week in which I let the mixture sit for a maximum of 30 Minutes, not longer were also good to combat the dryness.
I'd also skip the green tea (which is a little acidic and because of amla is already slightly acidic you won't need extra) and prepare the powders only with water, preferrably spring water, especially when you live in a hard-water area (this alone can make a huge difference!)
If want to go for thickness, gloss/sheen and volume-cassia can offer this to and is imho less drying.....HTH Smile
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by judithmcnaughts 21st January 2011, 10:34 am

I think this is great, because it makes my hair feel thicker, but my hair felt rough. Some are more fashionable now curled feeling nervous. Not soft. I found this very interesting, I am tangled hair and thick intrigued.My soft but it does relax some of my hair. I do not mind, because I rarely wear my hair - tangles too much.

judithmcnaughts

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 25th January 2011, 1:18 am

judithmcnaughts wrote:I think this is great, because it makes my hair feel thicker, but my hair felt rough. Some are more fashionable now curled feeling nervous. Not soft. I found this very interesting, I am tangled hair and thick intrigued.My soft but it does relax some of my hair. I do not mind, because I rarely wear my hair - tangles too much.

It made your hair feel rough as well? Interesting. I curious to know if it's the brahmi? I did notice when using it mixed with the conditioner it felt better.

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th January 2011, 11:32 am

Afrolicious, I use these powders and haven't experienced any dryness. I love the amla/brahmi mix and think they compliment each other well. My method is pre-pooing with coconut oil or a coconut based herbal oil overnight and then applying the powders as pastes (using a homemade hibiscus tea) when I awaken the next a.m. I rinse out thoroughly. Use YTT to rinse. If I shampoo, I then deep condish afterwards with a good moisturizing condish. I say if I wash, b/c I may mix the powders for use as my cleanser.

Now, let me throw something else in the mix. I have started using the oils more than the powders (except amla, which I love). I am testing a theory and will continue doing this over the next few months. My theory is since the oils are being massaged into the scalp and are staying on longer, not being washed out quickly, there should be more benefit. I decided to do this after talking to one of my Indian lady friends and after reading some posts by Indian/Pakastaini posters on other sites. The old ayurvedic tradition is oiling. The mothers oil their daughters' hair. They basically oil prior to any treatments. They use alot of coconut oil and castor oil. I also had a nice talk with a Tibetan gentleman and he discussed his elderly father's use of oils to do scalp massages.

Benefits = less mess, no dry hair issues, scalp massage, which increases circulation... You may consider giving it a try.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 25th January 2011, 1:22 pm

naturallynola wrote:Afrolicious, I use these powders and haven't experienced any dryness. I love the amla/brahmi mix and think they compliment each other well. My method is pre-pooing with coconut oil or a coconut based herbal oil overnight and then applying the powders as pastes (using a homemade hibiscus tea) when I awaken the next a.m. I rinse out thoroughly. Use YTT to rinse. If I shampoo, I then deep condish afterwards with a good moisturizing condish. I say if I wash, b/c I may mix the powders for use as my cleanser.

Now, let me throw something else in the mix. I have started using the oils more than the powders (except amla, which I love). I am testing a theory and will continue doing this over the next few months. My theory is since the oils are being massaged into the scalp and are staying on longer, not being washed out quickly, there should be more benefit. I decided to do this after talking to one of my Indian lady friends and after reading some posts by Indian/Pakastaini posters on other sites. The old ayurvedic tradition is oiling. The mothers oil their daughters' hair. They basically oil prior to any treatments. They use alot of coconut oil and castor oil. I also had a nice talk with a Tibetan gentleman and he discussed his elderly father's use of oils to do scalp massages.

Benefits = less mess, no dry hair issues, scalp massage, which increases circulation... You may consider giving it a try.

So you are talking about herbs defused in oils i.e castor or coconut? Or did you buy the oil from the indian market?

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th January 2011, 6:27 pm

I make them (which I enjoy) and I buy them. Some really good online sources for purchasing quality oils (some organic, some not, some with mineral oil, some not). I will post some a little later when I have more time. Herbs INFUSED in oils. Ayurvedics using either coconut or sesame seed oil. I have both, but prefer coconut oil for my infusions. I use the other oil for my face-- Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 6th February 2011, 12:03 am

Hey ladies, I recently found brahmi alma oil. I bought and read up on it. It says use as a prepoo. I left mine in overnight. Rinsed and then shampooed and conditioned, etc. Its supposed to strengthen hair, etc. I just used the first time. After a few uses I will give my reviews.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down