CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish

5 posters

Go down

Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish  Empty Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish

Post by Pandagirl 25th December 2010, 5:12 pm

OK this may sound a silly but do you guys have any tips for keeping my new growth straight-ish after blowing it out? My hair only stay straight after maybe thirty mins or so after it's done. I Don't use a lot of heat because I'm afraid to. So using a flat iron is out of the question. I mean I don't want it stick straight, just straight that I can style it better.

Pandagirl

Back to top Go down

Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish  Empty Re: Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish

Post by mahoganytresses 26th December 2010, 2:28 pm

What type of styling are you trying to do?
mahoganytresses
mahoganytresses

Back to top Go down

Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish  Empty Re: Tips for keeping new growth straight-ish

Post by Pandagirl 26th December 2010, 3:20 pm

Hi!

Well I'm trying to wear my hair hanging down or a decent twist out. But when I wash and blow it out within a half hour it's curling back up and when I twist it up in that state it just looks like a frizzy mess.

Pandagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 26th December 2010, 5:30 pm

You could try flat twisting or corn rows instead of regular twistouts and braidouts.

I usually do about five flat twist going from front to back. I do it on lightly damp hand with my hair butter pomade rubbed on my hands. Keep the braids or twists smooth as you go. In the morning with more pomade rubbed in my hands I take them down. I don't separate the individual strands, I just just use my fingers to lightly lift the roots to hide the parts. I get a good three or four, sometimes five days out of that. I usually braid it or twist it in three or four twists to sleep.
ZanandRob She has texlaxed hair, but the process works for all types of hair. I don't straighten my hair before I do this. I do it while curly. :-)
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandagirl 28th December 2010, 2:12 am

Hello

Thanks for replying, doing flat twist had not occurred to me. Will this help give some curl to my relaxed ends? Zan and Rob has a neat technique but i can't do that because my hair is not as long as hers. =[ But I will try do flat twist all over and see what because of it. =]

Pandagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 30th December 2010, 6:00 am

Goto youtube and type longhairdont care2011

She heat trains her hair with a blow dryer once a month. her hair is to her waist!!!!!!

And yes she is BLACK!
I am going to try this!!!

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 30th December 2010, 11:01 am

PandaGirl, as long as you continue the flat twist onto the relaxed hair. The hair should curl too. You could add a roller to the ends of each flat twist, winding the hair rather than rolling it. Or you could wind the twisted ends into a bantu knot and secure it with pins.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 30th December 2010, 2:27 pm

You could also try stretching the hair (Banding, ponytails), but I don't recommend doing this often. I'm not sure of the effects of stretching the "curls" as JC from the Natural Haven can see it as being similar to straightening:

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/10/why-is-my-hair-breaking-ermbecause-you.html

But I don't know if it is as /damaging/ as using heat. It would be interesting find out, or see some other opinions on ladies who stretch their hair often.

But Flat twists, or even cornrows are a great idea for braid/twist outs , it defines it to the root and for the ends, the roller is a good idea. GL.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandagirl 30th December 2010, 3:51 pm

Thanks guys for your help!

@ krys315
I'm kinda afraid to do heat training! Even though I don't really know my curl pattern I can tell it's going to be pretty, and I don't want to damage it before getting to know it, lol besides I don't have the patiences to heat train my hair. I checked out hair channel and my jaw dropped. she has beautiful hair!

@Madeaj
I didn't think about rolling the ends! Gosh I'm a dummy sometimes! I will try using a perm rod, because I suck at bantu knots. lol =]

@ Treece
I do some banding, while my hair is wet I add my leave ins and do two pig tails and air dry overnight, in the morning I blow it out using a heat protectant of course. I haven't had any breakage or anything, I do it once a week or so. I did this when my hair was fully relaxed and had no trouble.

=]

Pandagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down