CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work out gadgets...which one do you use?

+4
CocaColaCutie
cluelesscurl
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
8 posters

Go down

Work out gadgets...which one do you use? Empty Work out gadgets...which one do you use?

Post by Lynnieluve 16th December 2010, 7:44 pm

I've been working out consistently for over a year and a half now and I dont own a work out gadget. I usually workout 4 days a week. My workouts consist of walking, running and weight training. I am looking for a gadget that keeps up with my distance, heart rate and calories burned. Right now I am just going by what the treadmill or elliptical machines says.....and some times I think it is lying. lol! I be thinking to myself, "Now, I know I burned more calories than that!" Laughing Also when I workout outside, I have no clue how many calories I am burning. Anywho, what gadgets are you using? What are its uses? Do you love it? Please help a sister out. geek
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Work out gadgets...which one do you use? Empty Re: Work out gadgets...which one do you use?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2010, 9:28 pm

I have a Polar heart rate monitor. You may recognize the name Polar. It is the name on many of the machines at my gym. I think it is the brand many exercise manufacturers use to track calories burned on gym equipment. I have a midrange one. I do believe they have one that can provide you distance. I like mine because it has the chest strap to hold the monitor. Some do not and may pick up other receivers like the ones in the machines (I think that is what CN's fitness expert wrote). It is pretty cool and can track calories burned and range of your heart rate. I have had it for over a year, and I think it was a great investment.

I burn fewer calories than the machines show but at least I know what I am burning. You input your data--sex, age, height and weight. The gym machines I use only ask for my age and weight.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Work out gadgets...which one do you use? Empty Re: Work out gadgets...which one do you use?

Post by cluelesscurl 16th December 2010, 9:32 pm

Oh my I remember when MikeyD's where giving away free pedometers this was when they were getting a bad rap for obesity. I was using it faithfully but I wasn't totally satisfied with the results. Do you have a smartphone?? you can probably download an app. Sorry if I wasn't any help but you just reminded me to how I need an upgrade.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 16th December 2010, 9:32 pm

Good post. I've been thinking about whether I should get a device as well. I'll be watching this thread. Thanks Chrs for the input about the Polar.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th December 2010, 1:09 am

Thanks Chrs and Clueless.

@ Clueless - yes I have a smart phone. I know Nike has a shoe device that works with the iphone and the newest generations of the ipod. I thought about getting it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 3rd February 2011, 1:50 am

Lynnieluve did you get that Nike device? I really want one also. I like running out side and I like to keep track of how many miles I run. I have driven around my neighborhood to map out a mile but I am tired of running the same course. With that device I can shake things up a little.lol.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd February 2011, 7:55 pm

Hey Lynnie. The only thing I have is a watch that counts calories and monitors heart rate and has a stop watch. No distance reader though. But I got mine from Walmart and it's never consistent with the machines at the gym. So I have NO idea which one is right or what!!! LOL I hate that!! But I think the watch is somewhat accurate. I dunno. At least it gives me an idea of what I'm doing. And it's consistent. With certain workouts, it is pretty much at around the same calorie burn. Now the more and more expensive you get, you know they can be in the $200s and up, the more accurate they probably are. I would think, anyway.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd February 2011, 10:15 pm

@ BattleKat and MissKriss -Hubby got me a Omron Go Smart Dual Axis Pocket Pedometer for Christmas - Still havent opened it yet....Shame on me Embarassed It measures steps/distance and calories. It comes with PC software to track your progress for 7 days at a time. Not sure how much it cost.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 4th February 2011, 11:55 am

Girl what you waitin on??? LOL!!! You better open it up and use it!!!! It sounds like that's what you were wanting, right? If you don't want it you can send it to me!! LOL
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 4th February 2011, 11:58 am

lol! I opened and programmed it last night.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 4th February 2011, 1:07 pm

Oh ok, good!!! LOL Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 5th February 2011, 4:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have the Polar FT 7. It shows fat burn, calories burned, heart rate, etc

It's really helpful when I'm working out consistently.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 7th February 2011, 8:29 pm

I have an ipod touch and I use the Nike + GPS app it monitors calories and distance I love it.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down