CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about henna?

5 posters

Go down

Question about henna? Empty Question about henna?

Post by QuirkyCurly 9th December 2010, 3:08 am

I wanted to know if you could henna only in certain sections? I haven't done it yet, but I considering it. I don't want to henna in the back near my nape because my curl pattern is loose back there and i think it may be too risky to put it there. Have any of you done this? If so could you tell me how you do it?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Question about henna? Empty Re: Question about henna?

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 7:52 pm

I don't see why you COULDN't do that. But I henna'd last weekend and it didn't change my curl pattern. But they say the more and more you henna, the more and more it will. That and the color will show more.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 10th December 2010, 5:23 am

Henna doesn't change my curl pattern either.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 11th December 2010, 2:15 am

only changed mines briefly after i got the moisture back my curls popped right back into place
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th December 2010, 10:10 am

NSB, if that is your only reason not to henna in that area, you could add amla to your henna to avoid that situation. I had to start using amla in my Bentonite treatments b/c the Bentonite would loosen my curl (not over the entire head), but in some areas. I haven't experienced this since. Also, I leave you this reference from http://hennablogspot.com/promote-hair-growth-maintain-your-curl-pattern/ NOTE: in bold letters the heading "Promote Hair Growth & Maintain Your Curl Patter" If you have additional questions, the owner is Khadija and she is very responsive to question either on the blog or via email.

Hope this helps.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 11th December 2010, 4:42 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your answers.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 11th December 2010, 5:14 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:NSB, if that is your only reason not to henna in that area, you could add amla to your henna to avoid that situation. I had to start using amla in my Bentonite treatments b/c the Bentonite would loosen my curl (not over the entire head), but in some areas. I haven't experienced this since. Also, I leave you this reference from http://hennablogspot.com/promote-hair-growth-maintain-your-curl-pattern/ NOTE: in bold letters the heading "Promote Hair Growth & Maintain Your Curl Patter" If you have additional questions, the owner is Khadija and she is very responsive to question either on the blog or via email.

Hope this helps.

Would it loosen tight curls?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 13th December 2010, 1:41 pm

NSB,

My disclaimer is I will be doing my 1st henna in a few days. I have spent the last 2 months researching( not so much scientific research, rather application research) (alot of communication with a vendor, blogs, forums, etc.)

Sounds like a cliche, but "no 2 heads are alike." No one can tell you with 100% certainty what will happen to your curl pattern or the exact color from the henna (lawsonia inermis) on your initial henna. Whether your curl pattern is tight or loose, loosening, to some degree, can occur. I have mainly read people saying it occurred after multiple treatments. I suggest you check on naturally curly and the long hair forum and read the blogs/ FAQs on the sites that sell henna for a plethora of experiences of others. Really, I believe the most useful information will come from a professional who has experience with henna for many years and have come in contact with many different heads. This person will have the experience with a variety of colors, textures, and mixes. This is my best advice.

This is the good news - amla mixed with the henna is your go to product to avert curl loosening The additional benefit of amla in the henna (there are many benefits) is it will tone down the red/orange tone of the henna. Khadija from Henna Sooq recommends using 3 - 4 Tablespoons of amla per 100g of henna. In a video (she has a YT account), she measured 1 teaspoon of amla with 1 Tablespoon of henna. She also said 50/50 mix is something to consider. Really, if you take the plunge, you just have to experiment like everyone else because the outcome is predicable only to a certain extent with respect to the color. I highly recommend doing a strand -test. I have hair that I have been harvesting from my comb for 2 months (and I still don't have much b/c I don't lose much hair). This week I will test different ratios of henna:amla and different time points and determine what my exact method will be when I henna. I have resigned myself that this is all trial and error. If I don't like the color. I will do back-to-back henna treatments using a different mix. I recommend you do this when and only when you feel you won't be frustrated by the results if they are not to your liking.
Let me add 1 other thing, Khadija also states if a person did not want to tone down the henna color, they could do a separate amla paste application up to a few days after the henna for purposes of retaining curl pattern. I have come into contact with 2 opposite views of using amla days after the henna to revert the curl loosening. Some have said it worked. Some have said it did not. So, my advice would be to use the amla in the mix. Repeated applications of henna is what will deepen the red tone anyway (just takes longer as opposed to pure henna without amla or any other ingredient that affects the color).

Don't stress. Do what makes you comfortable. If you need to research more, take that time.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 14th December 2010, 12:09 am

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:NSB,

My disclaimer is I will be doing my 1st henna in a few days. I have spent the last 2 months researching( not so much scientific research, rather application research) (alot of communication with a vendor, blogs, forums, etc.)

Sounds like a cliche, but "no 2 heads are alike." No one can tell you with 100% certainty what will happen to your curl pattern or the exact color from the henna (lawsonia inermis) on your initial henna. Whether your curl pattern is tight or loose, loosening, to some degree, can occur. I have mainly read people saying it occurred after multiple treatments. I suggest you check on naturally curly and the long hair forum and read the blogs/ FAQs on the sites that sell henna for a plethora of experiences of others. Really, I believe the most useful information will come from a professional who has experience with henna for many years and have come in contact with many different heads. This person will have the experience with a variety of colors, textures, and mixes. This is my best advice.

This is the good news - amla mixed with the henna is your go to product to avert curl loosening The additional benefit of amla in the henna (there are many benefits) is it will tone down the red/orange tone of the henna. Khadija from Henna Sooq recommends using 3 - 4 Tablespoons of amla per 100g of henna. In a video (she has a YT account), she measured 1 teaspoon of amla with 1 Tablespoon of henna. She also said 50/50 mix is something to consider. Really, if you take the plunge, you just have to experiment like everyone else because the outcome is predicable only to a certain extent with respect to the color. I highly recommend doing a strand -test. I have hair that I have been harvesting from my comb for 2 months (and I still don't have much b/c I don't lose much hair). This week I will test different ratios of henna:amla and different time points and determine what my exact method will be when I henna. I have resigned myself that this is all trial and error. If I don't like the color. I will do back-to-back henna treatments using a different mix. I recommend you do this when and only when you feel you won't be frustrated by the results if they are not to your liking.
Let me add 1 other thing, Khadija also states if a person did not want to tone down the henna color, they could do a separate amla paste application up to a few days after the henna for purposes of retaining curl pattern. I have come into contact with 2 opposite views of using amla days after the henna to revert the curl loosening. Some have said it worked. Some have said it did not. So, my advice would be to use the amla in the mix. Repeated applications of henna is what will deepen the red tone anyway (just takes longer as opposed to pure henna without amla or any other ingredient that affects the color).

Don't stress. Do what makes you comfortable. If you need to research more, take that time.

Thank you so much!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down