CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Henna

5 posters

Go down

Question about Henna Empty Question about Henna

Post by curlycourt10 10th March 2010, 2:23 pm

I don't know if anyone has already asked this, sorry if some one has.

I've been natural for almost a year [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I would really like to try henna since I have heard so much about it. Does anyone know of a store in Louisville, KY that I can purchase it. I would prefer not to order. I have seen henna at Whole Foods and at Lush, but I have not been able to find to many reviews on these two products. I want to make sure I buy a good product and not something that will damage my hair.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

curlycourt10

Back to top Go down

Question about Henna Empty Re: Question about Henna

Post by quincie1479 11th March 2010, 12:00 am

@curlycourt10- I dont live in your area. However, I wouldnt purchase my henna from Whole Foods.
quincie1479
quincie1479

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 11th March 2010, 9:12 pm

Curlycourt,

If it's 100% body art quality henna with nothing mixed in (except maybe amla or shikakai powders) then the henna you saw at the wholefood might be okay. Do you know the brand names of the products you saw?

Do you have any Indian grocery stores near you? That is good place to source henna.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th March 2010, 2:12 am

Hey ladies! I just ordered my first jar of henna by "Rainbow" in Persian Copper and I'm so excited considering I've never colored my hair period! A lil nervous though; should have went with more of a auburn color [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. My hair is dark brown.

R2D2, I saw that coconut milk worked well for you and was planning on using the same since I have a left over can handy from a Thai dinner [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Do you add anything else to it?

Since I'm nervous about how red it will come out, I would really prefer highlights/streaks (not sure how to accomplish that either)...buy a cap? I guess I should do a strand test.

Also, how long should I leave it on. I heard some people leaving it on for 5 hours...5 hours, really?!! I also heard that it can dry your hair greatly and my hair is so soft and yummy...I'm scurrred [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I really just want the natural coloring.

I'm a 3c/4a/4b!

Ok, enough rambling! Any helpful suggestions ladies? Do share!
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 28th March 2010, 5:35 pm

NaturallyNu, if you didn't really want to add color, you could have used Cassia Powder (Neutral Henna) and received the same benefits of henna without adding color. See it here http://www.butters-n-bars.com/bundlesandadd_ins.html

I have never used that Rainbow brand of henna. I get my henna from ButterQueen
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] http://www.butters-n-bars.com/henna4hair.html

envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th March 2010, 6:31 pm

envizionj wrote:NaturallyNu, if you didn't really want to add color, you could have used Cassia Powder (Neutral Henna) and received the same benefits of henna without adding color. See it here http://www.butters-n-bars.com/bundlesandadd_ins.html

I have never used that Rainbow brand of henna. I get my henna from ButterQueen
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] http://www.butters-n-bars.com/henna4hair.html

Thanks for the tip. I DO indeed want color...just not sure if I purchased the right shade. I figured since my hair is dark I should buy a color close but brighter than the one I actually want so that I'll end up getting what I was striving for (my own theory btw lol). My hair is already thick and soft so I'm not really expecting much of a drastic change (other than color)..but who knows.

Yea I don't think anyone has heard of this rainbow brand. I found it on iherb.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Looks like I'll be the first to review!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..just experimenting. Thanks for the website!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 28th March 2010, 6:50 pm

Naturally Nu,

I'm not familiar with Rainbow Henna either - it is in a powder form? Usually 100% body art quality henna is only red so I assume that Rainbow have mixed in other ingredients in order to retail it as "persian copper". What are the instructions on the jar? If they are telling you to mix it with a liquid such as water, green tea etc then I would think coconut milk would be okay (you might need more than 1 can depending on the length of your hair). If it's a cream form then I wouldn't mix it with anything.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th March 2010, 7:20 pm

Yes, it's in the powder form (4oz/113 gram jar). The label reads 100% organic with no additives, chemicals, or pesticides so I have nooo idea how they came up with that color lol. It also instructs to use liquid (water/coffee/tea/acv/lemon juice...which I will sub for coconut milk). The instructions are gratefully pretty thorough and give prep, application, timing, helpful accessories, tips, & special recipes, etc.

I plan on doing this next week. I'll try to post a pic of the results if I can figure it out! haha
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 28th March 2010, 7:57 pm

They must have mixed the henna with up with other 100% herbal ingredients such as amla, indigo, shikakai etc, which is what many of us do manually anyway in order to achieve browns to black. If that is the case, those are good ingredients as they are 100% natural. The advantage would be convenience as it's all done for you, the disadvantage would be lack of control over your mix. If you are happy with the outcoming colour though this isn't an issue!

Give it a go and report back to us Smile
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th March 2010, 9:04 pm

R2D2 wrote:They must have mixed the henna with up with other 100% herbal ingredients such as amla, indigo, shikakai etc, which is what many of us do manually anyway in order to achieve browns to black. If that is the case, those are good ingredients as they are 100% natural. The advantage would be convenience as it's all done for you, the disadvantage would be lack of control over your mix. If you are happy with the outcoming colour though this isn't an issue!

Give it a go and report back to us Smile

Good to know. Yay! Will do!
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down