CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the frizz is driving me crazy

5 posters

Go down

the frizz is driving me crazy  Empty the frizz is driving me crazy

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 8th December 2010, 1:16 am

transitioners, how do you deal with frizz. i am at the edge of my transitioning cliff right now. i LOVE my natural texture but i cannot deal with this frizzy mess. it's been almost five months and i plan to do 30 so I really need this frizz to get under control. i've been searching the forum on ways do deal with frizz and i've tried all these methods: the no poo method, t-shirt drying, deep conditioning, and rinsing with cold water. Nothing is working for me and I am kind of at a loss. how do you deal with frizz ?
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

http://helloprettyy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

the frizz is driving me crazy  Empty Re: the frizz is driving me crazy

Post by FalconTress 8th December 2010, 1:25 am

Hi, pretty,Pleaseee!

I don't want to make you fell like you opened Pandora's Box with your post but can you tell me which products you are using? Also, what style are you attempting to maintain?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 8th December 2010, 1:34 am

Thank you for replying. I am using suave conditioner. and i made a leave in conditioner with water, evoo, wild growth oil, and aussie moist conditioner. those are really the only products i have been using. I dont really use shampoo. the styles i have been doing are bantu knots, braid outs, and buns. even when i do buns my new growth is very frizzy

ETA: I also use shea butter
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 8th December 2010, 1:59 am

Got it.

I need to look at what is in my stash and get back to you. I'm not using products with cones (at this moment in time) so I am consciously making the trade-off to tolerate some frzz.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 8th December 2010, 2:16 am

okay, what products do you use without cones?
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th December 2010, 3:21 am

Some people naturally have frizz. I know I do. Only time I don't see frizz is if my hair is soaking wet or covered in gel. If your hair is moisturized and the curls still don't clump together, just accept it. You can also try products marketed towards frizz, if you'd like, it may help. But I know it can be frustrating to not have your hair "obey".
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 8th December 2010, 9:43 am

When I bun my hair I have a mean frizz halo, lol. I've gotten used to it and I think you will too eventually. But when I want to control the frizz, I use a light mousse and scarf my hair for a few minutes. Using a light mousse should allow you to keep definition from your style (bantu knot/braid out) and put some of those unruly hairs in place. Also, too much fluffing and playing in your hair will cause a lot of frizz. However, Idk if it's possible to get all of your frizz under control, you might really only be able to tame it. Good luck
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 8th December 2010, 1:20 pm

The things that have helped me w/o cones are:Aubrey Organics White Camelia Conditioner, MacNut brand Macadamia Nut Oil and Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine.
I have used the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum. It worked OK in the summer(pretty good result considering the high humidity where I live). I also have the Avon Frizz Control Lotus Sheild. I have not used it yet because it appears to work best with heat and I have not used heat since I bought it. It got raves reviews and was sold out for a while.

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 8th December 2010, 4:37 pm

Treece wrote:Some people naturally have frizz. I know I do. Only time I don't see frizz is if my hair is soaking wet or covered in gel. If your hair is moisturized and the curls still don't clump together, just accept it. You can also try products marketed towards frizz, if you'd like, it may help. But I know it can be frustrating to not have your hair "obey".

this was very helpful, thank you. how do I truly know if my hair is 100% moisturized? I know when I add gel to the frizzy parts i see beautiful definition of my curl pattern , without it .. not so much lol

Ms.Fenty wrote:When I bun my hair I have a mean frizz halo, lol. I've gotten used to it and I think you will too eventually. But when I want to control the frizz, I use a light mousse and scarf my hair for a few minutes. Using a light mousse should allow you to keep definition from your style (bantu knot/braid out) and put some of those unruly hairs in place. Also, too much fluffing and playing in your hair will cause a lot of frizz. However, Idk if it's possible to get all of your frizz under control, you might really only be able to tame it. Good luck

Thankyou Ms.Fently. I am going to try using a mousse and see how it works for my hair. I do like to touch my curls most of the time. it just kind of concerned me when some curls are smooth and the others are covered in frizz. especially hair at the nape and sides, it looks like a big bush but when i actually touch them i feel the curls their just covered in frizz ! maybe the mousse will help , thank you

FalconTress wrote:The things that have helped me w/o cones are:Aubrey Organics White Camelia Conditioner, MacNut brand Macadamia Nut Oil and Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine.
I have used the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum. It worked OK in the summer(pretty good result considering the high humidity where I live). I also have the Avon Frizz Control Lotus Sheild. I have not used it yet because it appears to work best with heat and I have not used heat since I bought it. It got raves reviews and was sold out for a while.

HTH

Thankyou for the products, I am going to try using products without cones to see if it makes a difference for me
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 8th December 2010, 5:02 pm

I am going to try using products without cones to see if it makes a difference for me
I forgot to mention another "cone-free" thing that I use is the kimmaytube leave-in recipe. It has helped keep my hair moist & smooth. I typically make a batch using the original recipe(sounds like KFC, lol). I did substitute hemp seed oil and wheat germ oil for a portion of the total oil in the recipe one time. It still worked but it was slightly thinner so I aded a little more Kinky Curly Knot Today.

Here's the link to the youtube demo (just in case you don't have it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI

Also the Aubrey Organics White Camelia does contain protein in the form of wheat germ oil.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 9th December 2010, 12:30 pm

Well gel is only holding the frizz together in this scenario. You have to know what your own hair feels like moisturized. Some people's is soft, others is not. People with coarse hair may always have a "dry" feeling.

http://www.hair-styles-secrets-revealed.com/hair%20type.htm
http://hairveda.com/hairtype.aspx
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Some people determine their dryness by rubbing it together, and if you have coarse hair you cannot rely on this. When you wash your hair, moisturize like you normally do and feel your hair after a few minutes. HTH. Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 10th December 2010, 1:52 am

thank you ladies for the very helpful information.

Treece thank you for the links ; i found out that my hair is actually at a good moisture and protein balance. Maybe i just have natural frizz in some parts. but also i was wondering did you experience "scab hair" when you were transitioning ?
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 10th December 2010, 2:06 am

To my knowledge, I notice no scab hair, my hair seems fine all over. Usually women notice this after the BC because your hair can change and they see a difference between their ends and the new growth. Maybe I'll notice a while from now, but it seems okay for me. But I suppose that could also be a problem as well. You'll notice after you BC for sure.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 10th December 2010, 2:10 am

okay thanks , i think i may be experiencing this but i have no idea.

how long were you relaxed for ?
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 10th December 2010, 10:18 am

I don't think you will know until you BC because right now you have nothing to compare it to.

I was relaxed for 6 years.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 20th December 2010, 11:34 pm

I completley understand where you are coming from with your frustration. My thin strands fly away easily and that might be cute in an out style but in a bun I just look... smh

Having said that Jamaican Black Castor Oil has been my Godsend! It works better than shea butter or gel for smoothing out my hair because I can use as much as I want and I wont have that ridiculous greasy feeling or crunchy hard hair. I've had it for a while but I just started to revisit it because I wanted to bun more for the winter. I use it at night because I don't like the smell (it really isn't that bad, i just don't care for it) and I put my hair under a satin scarf for the night. I think yesterday was one of the first days in a long time that I had frizz-free, well behaved hair.

If your hair strands are thinner in diameter, you should definitely check it out! Using it on your scalp also stimulates growth Smile
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 23rd December 2010, 3:31 pm

Krissy, I have thick/coarse strands but I am wondering if this will work for me also, I have jbco too and have not used it for a while but I am going to try it. I hope it works for me as it has worked for you, thanks.
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down