CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't Play in the Sun

2 posters

Go down

Don't Play in the Sun Empty Don't Play in the Sun

Post by d.denise 29th November 2009, 6:44 pm

Ok so my other book is on hold- just couldn't get into it. So I passed across this title on a blog I suppose and will start it today. The full title is Don't Play in the Sun: One Woman's Journey Through the Color Complex.

Anybody read it before?

Came back to add a passage that I'm reading that I'm sure we can all relate to. And while we may not be able to relate exactly to how she feels, where she says "face" put in the word "hair" and realize how its the same kind of acceptance of ourselves. It's like an epipaphy at some point when we start to see what God gave us and really appreciate it and everything about it:

"In the fall of my freshman year in college, 1968, I Afro my hair. For the first time in my life I love what I see in the mirror. I have never noticed the way my smile unfurls like a proclamation, the velvent depth and softness of my brows, the real color of my skin - a warm, intense brown. I realize I had never before looked at the face God gave me. I have spent years looking at my face through a swirl of conflicted emotions. Surely there must have been a time before this moment, before this day, when I looked at myself without judging, with acceptance. Surely. Surely. But I am a Black girl in a culture that convinces even the White girls I once fantasized about being that they are never quite enough... So how could I, a brown-skinned, unextraordinary (I have believed until now) girl with coarse hair, gaze upon myself as a work of art? Until now I have never before heard so many people affirm that Black is beautiful. And if Black is beautiful, I am too."

Loves it...

Last edited by d.denise on 29th November 2009, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a passage)
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Don't Play in the Sun Empty Re: Don't Play in the Sun

Post by Nubianactress 4th January 2010, 7:16 pm

Im reading this right now!
Here is a clip that I thought was interesting pertaining to the book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMp20fZ6PSM
Nubianactress
Nubianactress

http://www.krystelmcneil.com

Back to top Go down