CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Dry Hair & Scalp!

+7
simplysloan
Blaine
Naturally Esq
BajanPrincess82
sugarplum85
FalconTress
MissKayElle
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super Dry Hair & Scalp!  Empty Super Dry Hair & Scalp!

Post by MissKayElle 23rd November 2010, 1:39 am

After my twist outs my hair is dry and crunchy. I twist my hair while it's wet and apply moisturizer to my hair and scalp. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me?
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

http://mskayelle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Super Dry Hair & Scalp!  Empty Re: Super Dry Hair & Scalp!

Post by FalconTress 23rd November 2010, 1:57 am

What prodoucts are you using?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 23rd November 2010, 2:11 am

For my scalp I used an oil mixture. It 2 types of Castor Oil, Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and something else I can't remember. For my hair I used Organic Root Stimulator: Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion.

I was going to create a spritz, but I'm not sure how to use/apply it.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 23rd November 2010, 2:24 am

OK
What are you washing and conditioning(rinse-out and/or leave-in your hair with?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 23rd November 2010, 12:21 pm

I've been washing wit Dr. Miracle's Dandruff 2in1 (My hair was always dry when it was relaxed) & Conditioning with Relaxed & Natural. I've been using Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus for a deep conditioner.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarplum85 23rd November 2010, 1:01 pm

After you wash and condition, try waiting until your hair is damp (not wet) to apply your products. I notice that when I apply my moisturizer or leave-in to wet hair some of the product seems to evaporate with the water in my hair as it dries. I hope that helps!
sugarplum85
sugarplum85

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd November 2010, 2:04 pm

I'm not sure what is in that shampoo, but usually dandruff shampoos are very drying. Try applying the shampoo directly on your scalp instead of on your hair. I use a prescription shampoo and before I get into the shower I part my hair (with my fingers) and rub the shampoo into my scalp. I let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then wash it out. Sometimes while I'm waiting to wash it out I'll put oil and/or conditioner in my hair for a little pre-poo action.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 23rd November 2010, 3:13 pm

@sugarplum I usually wet my hair if it starts to dry and then add the moisturizer. But I'm not sue if that's a problem because my hair is still super greasy. I think the oil doesn't really stay on my scalp. That's why I'm confused. My hair feels moisturized but my scalp is itchy.

@BajanPrincess I've noticed that my hair is really dry after using the dandruff shampoo. That's why I have to use a conditioner too. It's supposed to have conditioner included in it. Was the shampoo you used prescibed or can I buy it? I've never tried parting my hair befor washing it.

Thanks, ladies!
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd November 2010, 4:00 pm

1. Have you tried an ACV rinse before you apply the conditioner? You may have product build up which will prevent your hair from absorbing the moisture, thus making it dry.

2. Are you balancing moisture and protein? This is the link to a great article that has a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

3. Have you tried using a curl activator to twist your hair? They are very moisturizing.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd November 2010, 4:34 pm

MissKayElle wrote:@sugarplum I usually wet my hair if it starts to dry and then add the moisturizer. But I'm not sue if that's a problem because my hair is still super greasy. I think the oil doesn't really stay on my scalp. That's why I'm confused. My hair feels moisturized but my scalp is itchy.

@BajanPrincess I've noticed that my hair is really dry after using the dandruff shampoo. That's why I have to use a conditioner too. It's supposed to have conditioner included in it. Was the shampoo you used prescibed or can I buy it? I've never tried parting my hair befor washing it.

Thanks, ladies!
The only shampoo that I actually let touch my hair is the a sulfate-free shampoo (the old formula of creme of nature). If I let the medicated shampoo touch my hair it would be dry as straw. Since the shampoo is for your scalp, there's really no need for it to be in your hair. The shampoo I use is Ketoconazole (that is the generic name); I think you can probably buy it off the shelf. I have seborrheic dermatitis and this shampoo works wonders to get rid of my flare-ups. You should try out my 'method' of application. It really does work!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 23rd November 2010, 6:37 pm

@Naturally Esq What's an ACV rinse? I'm pretty new to dong my hair by myself. I've never used a curl activator. Can you suggest any? Thanks I'll be reading up on moisture and protein balancing.

@BajanPrincess I'll try to find Ketoconazole. Thanks.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaine 23rd November 2010, 8:26 pm

You should try Cleo Cartel Hair System...go on yummigoodz.com. All of her products are all natural and super moisturizing!

Blaine

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 24th November 2010, 1:06 am

Thanks Blaine. I'll that site out.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th November 2010, 1:08 am

[quote="MissKayElle"]@Naturally Esq What's an ACV rinse? I'm pretty new to dong my hair by myself. I've never used a curl activator. Can you suggest any? Thanks I'll be reading up on moisture and protein balancing.

An ACV rinse is an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse with 2 TBS ACV to 4oz H20. Pour it on your scalp and hair, rinse, then follow your usual conditioning and styling routine. HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 24th November 2010, 2:18 am

Thanks Naturally Esq.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by simplysloan 24th November 2010, 6:34 pm

Like Bajan said, those Dandruff Shampoos can, and will dry your hair out. Im dealing with a flair up myself. Dermatitis in the house! I use T-Gel, in a hair color applicator bottle to focus it only on my scalp where I need it. I also take care to soak my hair with condish. before I wash the shampoo out. it kinda acts like a buffer, for the suds running down my hair length.

I wouldn't go for that 2 in 1 stuff, It's gonna have more medicine in it than conditioners.
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 25th November 2010, 3:12 am

Try doing an ACV rinse for your hair and scalp. Gets rid of built up and really helps with dry scalp issues. I have a really dry scalp and the ACV rinse has been doing wonders for me. Less itch problems.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 29th November 2010, 12:33 am

Naturally Esq wrote:1. Have you tried an ACV rinse before you apply the conditioner? You may have product build up which will prevent your hair from absorbing the moisture, thus making it dry.

2. Are you balancing moisture and protein? This is the link to a great article that has a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

3. Have you tried using a curl activator to twist your hair? They are very moisturizing.

HTH

I was going to recommend the ACV rinse as well. Doing it once a month for 30 minutes has definitely helped my dry, itchy scalp problems. Great article too, thanks for sharing. And yes, I use Worlds of Curls Curl Activator gel for Extra Dry Hair along with Black N Sassy Creamy Set (for hold) for my twist outs and I don't have to remoisturize the entire week before wash and restyle. It is an awesome moisturizing product and talk about SHINE? A little goes a loooong way too and I LOVE it immensely!
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 13th December 2010, 2:03 am

1FlySista wrote:
I was going to recommend the ACV rinse as well. Doing it once a month for 30 minutes has definitely helped my dry, itchy scalp problems. Great article too, thanks for sharing. And yes, I use Worlds of Curls Curl Activator gel for Extra Dry Hair along with Black N Sassy Creamy Set (for hold) for my twist outs and I don't have to remoisturize the entire week before wash and restyle. It is an awesome moisturizing product and talk about SHINE? A little goes a loooong way too and I LOVE it immensely!

How do you do an ACV rinse for 30 minutes. Do you let it sit in your hair?

I don't have a lot of products. I've been trying to use the oils and things my mom has in the house. She has 2 types of castor oil (dark & clear...don't know the diff), avocado oil, EVOO (of course) and I just bought shea butter. I'm going to attempt to make a concoction with this stuff.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 14th December 2010, 6:06 pm

@MissKayElle: I apply the ACV rinse directly to my scalp using a spray bottle. I let it sit for a few minutes and I rinse. You should try the castor oil you already have. I blend mine with tea tree and peppermint oils. These two essential oils are great for a dry scalp but make sure to add them to a carrier oil like your CO, avocado or EVOO.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 14th December 2010, 9:29 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@MissKayElle: I apply the ACV rinse directly to my scalp using a spray bottle. I let it sit for a few minutes and I rinse. You should try the castor oil you already have. I blend mine with tea tree and peppermint oils. These two essential oils are great for a dry scalp but make sure to add them to a carrier oil like your CO, avocado or EVOO.

I guess I need more spray bottles. I made a moisturizer yesterday with shea butter, castor oil, evoo, and avocado oil. I don't really know if that was a good idea, but i did it. I feel like I need a book with all of this stuff in it. What is a carrier oil?
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kekecurly 6th January 2011, 10:06 pm

think of the carrier oil as the base. essential oils are more concentrated and can be bad if directly applied to the skin that is why you mix it with a carrier. Now i know everyone has their own regimen, but in addition to what has been said, try a different - more natural friendly shampoo, also u can try and use co- washes more frequently and shampooing once a month. keep your scalp moisturized with scalp massages and tea tree oil. and shea butter is NOT a moisturizer, it doesnt have any water in it!!! It simply just nourishes and seals the moisture. HTH!!!

Kekecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kekecurly 6th January 2011, 10:09 pm

One more thing lol, for your spritz try aloe vera juice, water and your favorite oil i spary on in the morning and b4 i go to sleep then i apply a leave in and seal with olive oil, i didnt see a difference at first but my hair is VERY soft and fluffy like a pillow!! woot!

Kekecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 10th January 2011, 1:26 pm

Kekecurly wrote:think of the carrier oil as the base. essential oils are more concentrated and can be bad if directly applied to the skin that is why you mix it with a carrier. Now i know everyone has their own regimen, but in addition to what has been said, try a different - more natural friendly shampoo, also u can try and use co- washes more frequently and shampooing once a month. keep your scalp moisturized with scalp massages and tea tree oil. and shea butter is NOT a moisturizer, it doesnt have any water in it!!! It simply just nourishes and seals the moisture. HTH!!!

Shea butter isn't a moisturizer? You learn something new everyday. Does that mean I should put water in my shea butter mix? Or should I continue to apply it while my hair is wet?

I'll have to try that spritz. How often do you use the leave in with the spritz? I just bought Cantu leave in conditioner. I haven't used it yet. I think it's time I find a natural big sis. I have a lot to learn.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kekecurly 10th January 2011, 6:36 pm

Yes ma'am, since water can not pass through an oil or wax, [lipids] people use it to seal the moisture on their hair. So u can use the shea butter mix on damp not dripping wet hair. And I also use the leave in right after i spritz my hair.

Kekecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next