CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 year old daughter's twistout

4 posters

Go down

5 year old daughter's twistout Empty 5 year old daughter's twistout

Post by minday83 22nd November 2010, 2:49 am

I have a problem. My daughter is fully natural (as she should be) and I 'm new to the natural hair scene and the different styles I can do. My daughter hair is best described as cottony? It ringlets when its wet, and goes to shoulder length. When it dries it shrinks to the nape of her neck. She has a lot of straight areas in her hair but its thick and coarse and feels like cotton. I just learned that a twist out will show off her length but the problem is her hair sticks up everywhere. If its down as soon as her head rubs anything, the wind blows, she walks to fast her hair is sticking straight up. Its so light and fluffy(which I love most of the time) that it doesn't lay down. So my questions are

1. Is this normal and do I have to train her hair not to stick up out of her head?
2. If i can train her hair to at least lay down a little bit how to do I do that?
3. She has been natural all her little five years of life but i just found out not to use hair grease so i use a shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil blend(homemade)....is this ok for her hair.
4. Are there any other products that ya'll can suggest that i use for her hair
I can't find a pic but i will take a pic of her hair and post it later.
minday83
minday83

Back to top Go down

5 year old daughter's twistout Empty Re: 5 year old daughter's twistout

Post by NikG20 28th November 2010, 1:05 am

How do you twist her hair? Wet or dry?

To make it lay down a little more, you can band it first. I have lots of pics on the blog if you just search banding. Basically just use some ouchless ponytail holders and part her hair into 4-6 sections, depending how thick it is. When you take the ponytail holders out her hair will be stretched out so you can just add some product and twist dry. This should make her twists lay down more and give her some extra length.

What you're using now sounds fine to me! Smile

I currently use Bee Mine Products in my daughters hair but for her twists I have used anything from Bee Mine Curly Butter to Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner to Unrefined Shea butter mixed with virgin coconut oil. It's all trial and error and it's hard to recommend products when we don't know a lot about her hair. If you're happy with the shea butter/coconut oil/olive oil mix you're using now then I say continue using that.

Eventually, as her hair gets longer, her twists will start to lay down more.

Hope this helps! I'm sure the other ladies will chime in with some great advice.

Good luck
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 9th December 2010, 2:12 pm

Great advice NikG20!!!!! For my daughter I use a moisturizing mix I make at home which is mainly sheabutter and coconut oil (got that idea from Nik), but to hold the twist I use EcoStyler gel. It give a little weight to the hair. Not sure if it will help to hold her hair down but it work it works for me and my daughter. She 5 years old too!!!
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by KandyLandKurls 12th December 2010, 8:30 pm

Yes, I would try coconut oil or olive oil, to help keep the frizzies down. Also try banding like NikG20 said or braiding her hair in plaits the night before doing the twist out. It will help stretch her hair so you can see more length. Im not sure, how to"train" her hair, maybe someone will explain how to do it.
KandyLandKurls
KandyLandKurls

Back to top Go down

Post by minday83 13th December 2010, 2:10 am

I'm going to try that banding that ya'll suggested. I usually twist her hair wet.
Thank All of you for the advice
minday83
minday83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down