CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie - Need Big Sis

3 posters

Go down

Newbie - Need Big Sis Empty Newbie - Need Big Sis

Post by rvalent2 30th October 2010, 8:41 am

Hello,

My last relaxer was in April 2010, since then i've been washing/flat ironing my hair which I ate. I don't want to do the BC just grow naturally but who knows that may change. I went to the salon this past thursday prior to finding this website. My stylist set my hair using bendable rods... I"m not thinking if i should conditioner with new products or wear this style for a couple more days. I'm not sure of my next steps from here nor products. I've been researching this website and the Youtube suggestions from this website. I'm in desperate need of help and guidance. Thanks Rhonda
rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Newbie - Need Big Sis Empty Re: Newbie - Need Big Sis

Post by naturallychelsea 30th October 2010, 10:13 pm

Well I'm here if you need me Very Happy Let me first start by saying CONGRATULATIONS!!
The process your talking about is called transitioning in the natural world. This process involves trimming off your relaxed ends whilst your natural growth comes in until you are completely natural.

Now if you love your flexi rod sets then keep them in and if you want to duplicate it then simply look up a tutorial on facebook.

Lastly, it's perfectly natural to feel overwhelmed right now and I will post a method to creating a hair regimen here. But as for products it is important to stay away from synthetic products like mineral oils and petrolatum as they simply coat the hair strand and prvent your hair from breathing. So things like grease are a no go.

But until then Hun happy nappy and feel free to buzz if you need sum.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rvalent2 31st October 2010, 8:37 am

Naturally Chelsea,

Thank you very much for responding. I'm looking forward to this natural journey. Please let me know if i'm missing something here.

I stop by Target and picked up Shea Moisture Conditioning & Style Milk, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Organic Coconut & Hisbiscus Hold & Shine MOisture Mist, Shea Butter (Cantu) and Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine.

I think the next step is to condition my hair with "Shea Moisture Conditioning & Style Milk" and the "Curl Enhancing Smoothie".
2. After conditioning, add more "Shea Moisture Conditioning & Style Milk", not sure.
3. Add Shea Butter for seal?
4. Need help?
rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 31st October 2010, 9:40 am

If you are refering to conditiner washing your hair then this can be done using any wash out conditioner but the herbal essences and garniwr fructis lines seem to be favourites. Howver if you just want help on moisturing then applying the two products will be good just name sure that you do not apply to much as it will weigh down your relaxed ends.
As for sealing the Shea butter that you are referrig to is it the cantu pomade? If so you could use it as a seal at but I notice that thefirst ingredient listed is petrolatum which is synthetic and is very harsh on the hair. I suggest that you purchase raw sgea butter instead either at abeauty supply store or online as it's cheap and the real deal.
But thus far the order of operation you have goin on is good just remember cleanse, (Deep treat), moisturise then seal. Smile
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 31st October 2010, 9:44 am

So I promised you a guideline for creating regimen so here it is (I apologize in advance for the length Embarassed):

CLEANSE:
-Pre pooing
that is putting a mixture of oils and conditioner in the hair to thoroughly saturate it with moisture to prepare your hair for the moisture stripping shampoo. Also, during this time finger detangling can be done on the hair. Sometimes I mix regular conditioner with olive oil as my preepoo.

-Shampoo
Have you ever finished shampooing and found yourself with a hard mass of dry hair? Well that's your hairs way of telling you it hates shampoo. Shampoos containing sulphates i.e is most commercial brands will strip the hair of most if not all its essential oils. This is especially bad for curlies who need the extra moisture. However having said this, shampoos do have their place. Due to the ingredients in some of our hair products we may need to shampoo every so often to remove the products and prevent build up on the hair shaft and scalp. I shampoo bi- weekly after pree pooing using the kimmaytube method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FQ79FD2VY

-Conditioner
Condition washing, to me, is a godsend for curlies. This is a method of washing the hair using only conditoner (and yes the hair does get clean). By using this method the hair and scalp is able to be cleansed without being stripped. I love Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It is sooooo moisturising and it detangles my hair like a dream.

DEEP TREATING:
I don't know quite how to stress the importance of deep treating hair, especially in the transitioning phase to natural. It is one of the best ways to strengthen and moisturise your hair.You can buy many commercial brands but I'm a lil mixtress so I usually start with normal wash out conditioner and add ingredients like olive oil, coconut oil and honey for moisture and egg and mayo for light protein. I normally apply this mixture to small sections of my hair and don a shower cap and leave it in for hours (but it can be left for like an hour or less if heat is used).

MOISTURISE
-Leave in
a good leave in is essential for replacing moisture to the hair after washing. I usually leave a little aussie moist in my hair (and yes I can see your eyes bulging at the thought but wash out conditioners can be left in the hair and for me it is just woman enough to keep the tresses moisturised)

-Moisturiser
WATER WATER WATER!! Need I say more. Water is your BFFFF as a natural. It is the main ingredient in all good moisturisers. I usually dampen my hair when it is dry and apply a leave in and a sealant (which we will talk about later)

SEALING:
After working so hard to moisturise your hair I assume that you will want that moisture to stay put. The key to maintaining moist hair is locking moisture in. Some curlies use light oils like jojoba but I can't get enough of my shea butter. I usually whip it by adding oils like olive and coconut to it to make it lighter and easier to spread on my hair. However, I apply very little to my relaxed ends to prevent them from being weighed down etc as the two textures have very different needs.I also use the raw shea to slick my edges as an alternative to gels.

So there you have it. If you want any clarification on the mountain of info I have given you feel free to buzz me. Btw don't feel discouraged about not knowing the ins and outs of natural hair your a newbie and you'll get eventually.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rvalent2 1st November 2010, 4:36 pm

Hi Naturallychelsea,

Again thank you for the responding on my page. I conditioned my hair, twisted and it came not frizzy hard not cute.. It was 1st time trying the twist.

I used Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as deep conditioner.
"Curl Enhancing Smoothie" 2. After conditioning, add more "Curl Enhancing Smoothie", not sure and coconut oil for seal.... HELP!!!!

confused
rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Post by gettinback2myroots 1st November 2010, 5:11 pm

rvalent2 wrote:Hello,

My last relaxer was in April 2010, since then i've been washing/flat ironing my hair which I ate. I don't want to do the BC just grow naturally but who knows that may change. I went to the salon this past thursday prior to finding this website. My stylist set my hair using bendable rods... I"m not thinking if i should conditioner with new products or wear this style for a couple more days. I'm not sure of my next steps from here nor products. I've been researching this website and the Youtube suggestions from this website. I'm in desperate need of help and guidance. Thanks Rhonda

Ok rvalent2, I'm in the same boat! I don't like flat ironing and i DO NOT Sad want to BC!
I'm looking for all the advice I can get!
gettinback2myroots
gettinback2myroots

Back to top Go down

Post by gettinback2myroots 1st November 2010, 5:18 pm

rvalent2...........was the Curl Enhancing Smoothie your moisturizng agent?
I'm not familiar with that product but I use Moisture lock and my twist out was soft....sealed with coconut oil. Hope this helps.
gettinback2myroots
gettinback2myroots

Back to top Go down

Post by rvalent2 1st November 2010, 7:52 pm

gettingback2myroots.... Yes, She Moisture, Curl Enhancing Smoothie was my moisturizing agent.... i'll try it tonight to see how it come out.. Your hair is cute i like your curls... I need to update with a picture.. Do you twist your hair every night?
rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Post by rvalent2 3rd November 2010, 9:20 am

My latest update: My girlfriend dragged me to Uncle Funky's Daughter salon to get some products... Well I ended up purchasing the following per hair stylist suggestion since I wasn't ready for the BC:

Squeaky deep cleansing shampoo
Good Hair Conditioning - Leave-in
Curly Magic - Curl Stimulator

My new routine: Wash my hair 1xweek unless a conditioning is desperately needed.

So what i've decided to do is to use the small flex curls and have my hair cut 1 month until all the permed hair is gone! I must say the small flex rods are a saviour. I'll post pictures later today of my new style!

Have anyone used Uncly Funky Daughter product?

rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down