CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!!

2 posters

Go down

Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!! Empty Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!!

Post by mswawa 18th October 2010, 2:14 pm

Curlies -

I am looking for a big sis in the Washington D.C. area. I am fairly new to the area (moving in 2 weeks), plus, I just BC'd on 8/4/10 after 2 months of transitioning. I am still learning my hair and what products she like, but some days are just HELL!! I am still struggling with TWA dryness (?) and styling b/c it is still so short. Any takers???

Thanks so much!

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!! Empty I'll Do The Best I Can

Post by Uneekjewel 5th November 2010, 3:55 pm

Hey Ms Wawa!

I have been in the DC area for the past 8 years and I know how it feels to be in a new place. I have been natural my entire life and BCed for the second time last August. My 3C hair is about neck length and I usually wear in an afro or a puff. I have been through some much trial and error getting my hair to how I would like it to look. I am available for any type of help that I can offer you. Send me a message and we can exchange info!

Talk to you soon!

Amber
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!! Empty Re: Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!!

Post by mswawa 5th November 2010, 4:54 pm

Hi Amber!

Thanks for responding to my message. Yeah...I'm just settling in and it's really cold out, so now I have to figure out how to deal with the change in seasons as it relates to my dryness. I am not sure what my hair type is...I think I am mostly 4a /3c (if you were to part my hair ear to ear, the entire section going back is softer and curlier...the entire section towards the front , with the exception of the middle is "kinkier" and a little harder to manage). Why did you BC a second time? What's your regimen? Do you ever go to a professional hair salon in the area?

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!! Empty Re: Looking for Big Sis...in the D.C. area!!!!!!!

Post by Uneekjewel 5th November 2010, 10:30 pm

Hey girl!

Where are you originally from? Your hair type sounds similar to mine.
The middle of my head is kinky and everything else is extra curly. I had locs for 12 years and decided to cut my hair off in 2006 when I graduated. I loved my chic half inch of hair for about 2 years and then decided to let it grow. I didn't know how to care for my hair in its longer state, so I decided to cut it again, which was last August. Now I have done my research and learned techniques for caring for my hair. I mostly do my hair myself, but I have started to go a salon for my protective styling for the winter.
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by mswawa 8th November 2010, 11:04 am

I'm originally from Virginia, but I moved to the D.C. area after living in Dallas, TX for several years. When you go to the salon, what do you get done? Have you moved away from WnGs now that it's gotten colder? Right now, my hair is not as long as I expected it to be since BCing in late August. Everybody tells me that it looks thicker, but that's about it. I think the problem too is that I have ALOT of shrinkage, especially in certain areas. Some days I love the way my hair look, then other days I do not like it at all. LOL. Do you work in D.C.? Maybe Curly Nikki will have a meet-up in this area!

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 8th November 2010, 11:14 am

Morning Sunshine!

When I go to the salon, I am usually getting a protective style like two strand twists, bantu knots or braids. I haven't completely gotten away fron Wash n Gos altogether yet because it's easy to me (even know I know it's getting frigid out there.) Today I am rocking a puff, because it takes no time for me to pull my hair up. I definitely feel you on the shrinkage. My hair always looks a lot shorter than other women who BCd the same time I did. Those curls love to be tight to my head I guess. I'm try ing to focus on getting to a certain length, but rather just making sure my hair remains strong, especially through the winter months. Also I hear you about hating your hair on different days. I think it is something we all go through. What type of products do you use in your hair now and what type of styles are you achieving?

My full time job is in Bethesda working at a Naval Base and my part time job is right in DC on the weekends. How about you? I hope there will be a meet-up. It is so inspiring to see other natural women and share our joys and struggles.

Enjoy your day!
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by mswawa 8th November 2010, 11:44 am

Hey!

I have definitely become a product junkie! LOL. I co-wash my hair just about every day. In the beginning I used Organix Coconut Milk but have since transitioned to Herbal Essences Hello Hydration or Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture. I DC with Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment, mixed in with a little honey and EVOO. I shampoo my hair about once a week (prior to the DC) with Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo (in small amounts - this stuff is high concentration). To make the curls "pop", I have used ECOstyler gel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard (I will usually put some KC Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner underneath). I have also used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding, and Darcy Botanicals Styling Creme (the vanilla scented kind). I can't say I have fallen in love with any of the styling products. The KC Come Clean Shampoo and Jessicurl Deep Treatment are on permanent rotation...I can take or leave the other stuff! I do WnGs on most days, but my hair is now long enough for me to do small two strand twists all over - which I will do right before bed on freshly co-washed hair, then untwist and fluff my hair in the morning. This method gives me a somewhat wild-looking TWA. Since my hair is still fairly short, I can't be as creative with the styling, and I am not really a braid/cornrow person. Although when I was getting ready for work this morning, I tried pushing my hair up on the sides and think I might be able to achieve a short frohawk (I'll try that tonight). Achieving second and third day hair right now is just not happening...not sure if that is b/c of the length or not using the right products...

I just ordered some new products to try from Curlmart...and here I thought that I would save myself so much money after abandoning the relaxed look! LOL.

The "perfect" styling products would be those that give my hair shine, curl definition (and maybe even elongation), and softness. Interestingly, I do not have issues with detangling (again, could that be b/c of length????) Am I asking for too much?!?!?

I, like you, desire healthy hair above all else, even if I never attain hair down my back. I don't like to manipulate my hair every day with the WnGs and twist outs, but again, I have not figured out how to maintain a style longer than a day...

So that's my story. Probably more than you really cared to know. LOL.

Any suggestions since it sounds like we might have the same hair type? What products do you use? I work in DC 5 days a week, but I live in Alexandria. Do you live in Maryland also?

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 8th November 2010, 2:14 pm

Don’t despair…I’m a huge product junkie too. I have tried a lot of different products and I have finally found products that work well with my hair to give it the shine and strength I am looking for.
I usually wash my hair about once a week or every other week. I usually use Dove Moisturizing Shampoo for dry and damaged hair or Carol’s Daughter Tui Shampoo. If I need to clarify my hair, I use V05’s Kiwi and Lime Clarifying Shampoo and Conditioner, if I feel like I have a lot of product build up in my hair. I just started to deep condition my hair on a regular basis and use Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, which works wonders on my hair. Plus it smells like vanilla cake frosting! After I shampoo, I slap a good amount of it on my hair and put on a shower cap and let it sit for about 30 minutes. After I rinse it out, my hair feels so soft and conditioned. I usually co wash about every 2 days or so and use whatever is on hand. I have Dove Moisturizing Conditioner, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Hello Hydration and Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner to name a few. Each conditioner is good for detangling as well. Lately, I have been using Hello Hydration the most because my hair loves it. I have plenty of styling products, including Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding (hate it), Eco styler gel (so-so) Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave In Cream (the red bottle) (like it) and Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Cream (LOVE IT!!!) Today I’m rocking a puff, so I put some of the Cantu in my hair combed through my hair all the way around for my puff. Then I applied some Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey, which I love all around my edges to get that slick look….that stuff is magic! For a firmer hold, I also apply a small amount of the clear Eco styler gel to my edges. Those two products work well together because I never have any white residue from them battling each other in my hair. I wrap my headband around my hair and make my puff. I put on my scarf and I’m out the door. I keep the scarf on while I drive to work which is about 40 minutes and my hair is in perfect position for the rest of the day.
I need to stop being so lazy and twist my hair at night to keep my hair stretched, so I don’t have to manipulate my hair so much. That will be my next hair challenge. I also am going to try to get my hair done once a month in a protective style. I have the worst case of hand in hair syndrome, so it is a battle.
I have been interested in trying out the KCCC line, but keep making excuses because of the price. I do hear it works wonders. I’m going to stop being so cheap and try them out, especially the detangling conditioner.
I live in D.C. not too far away from HU. You must be pulling your hair out dealing with the VA traffic going home in the evenings. More power to you girl!

P.S. Good luck with your frohawk…you can do it!
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by mswawa 10th November 2010, 11:06 am

Okay...so I have not tried the frohawk yet...I have not felt like playing around with my hair after I get home from work. BUT, I have achieved second-day hair from the two strand twist I did Monday night (thank you Lawd!!!). So far, it is holding up well. I did add some leave-in conditioner, water and shea butter to the edges, which looked a little dry, but otherwise, thumbs up!

I have been taking the metro from VA to my office in DC. The first morning I reported to work, my fiance drove me in and OMG, it took almost 1.5 hours to get in (ridiculous). I haven't decided if it's cheaper to take the metro daily or use our company garage ($3.50 for a roundtrip fare!?). Either way, it's an adjustment from Dallas.

Have you straightened your hair since your second BC? If so, were you worried that it would not convert back to curly afterwards? Do you have a lot of natural friends? I am the first of my friends to go natural, although everyone has been supportive (actually, I have another friend that's natural, but wears sow-ins on a regularly basis, so you would never know it), but my mom saw my hair for the first time a few days ago and thought it would look better with a barber cut.

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 10th November 2010, 12:41 pm

Don't feel bad about not doing your frohawk. I wou ld love to see how it will turn out for you. I am not creative to do all that on my own hair. Last night, I twisted my hair to try a twist out, which never works for me. I woke up this morning and took out the twist and my hair was defined but when I tried to life the roots for fullness, it looks a hot mess. I ended up wetting it and putting some Cantu Shea Butter on and calling it a day. I am so disappointed and don't understand what I am doing work with it.

I'm proud of you and your 2nd day hair. Go girl! I have some raw shea butter and am looking for an easy recipe to make Whipped Shea Butter for my hair. It seems like when I put the raw shea on, it just sits on my hair.

I definitely used to take the metro out to Bethesda everyday and it was like $10 a day round trip with the train and the bus I had to ride. Driving works better for me because I take all back roads. I avoid the highway as much as possible during rush hour. Taking the metro or driving seems like it would be a headache for you either way. I hope it works out for you.

I have not straightened my hair yet. To be honest, I don't have much desire to straighten my hair. I used to press my hair the first time I cut my hair and I did not like the fact that my curls weren't as tight as before. I do plan on blow drying my hair out to do a length check soon though.

It's crazy, all of my close girlfriends are deciding to loc their hair now. When I wore my locs for 12 years, everybody else was a perm head. It is still different because it is easy forthem to do their hair than it is for me. They can just get up and go. Most of my friends are not natural but it never really bothered me. However, I am grateful for this site and others, because there are things I go through with my hair that they can't relate to. I would definitely say that we all go through different stages with our hair. If you are loving your look and feel that you are making progress with your hair, keep rocking your TWA!

Enjoy your day!
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down