CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbies vs Oldies

+5
Free2Be
ladygogohot
Renny
molove87
curlybarbi48
9 posters

Go down

Newbies vs Oldies Empty Newbies vs Oldies

Post by curlybarbi48 11th October 2010, 12:26 am

So, today I was thinking about how much I love talking about natural hair. I love trying new products and new styles. Then, I got to thinking about how a lot of newly naturals (although I've been natural for a year now) like talking all things hair and was wondering how "old" naturals feel. When I say "old", I mean women who have been natural for some years. I'll bet they think we are fanatical! Well, oldies, please excuse me, but this is a new and wonderful experience for me. I have not seen my natural hair since I was 11, and all I remember was that I hated it and that I thought I had "bad" hair. Now, I realize that my hair is not as "bad" as I thought it was. I'm sorry if I'm boring you with my rants and raves, but please let me marvel in my new found love: my curly/coily/beautiful hair! Very Happy

Last edited by curlybarbi48 on 11th October 2010, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Newbies vs Oldies Empty Re: Newbies vs Oldies

Post by molove87 11th October 2010, 3:07 am

I wonder that sometimes too. It's like now that I embrace my natural hair, I notice more natural hair on tv, magazines etc., and I'm like was this here before? and all I ever wanna talk about is hair and a new product/style I'm trying. The hairstyle in my avatar(side buns) I picked up on curlynikki, and I wonder will the love/fascination get old or will I always be this excited about being natural.. <~~~ I can answer that one. YESSS!!!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th October 2010, 10:45 am

I've had twist and braids for about five years but I relaxed my hair at least twice a year to keep it braidable. Rolling Eyes Even though I wasn't wearing my hair straight, I am definitely a new natural gal. I'm totally obsessed with my hair and products. I had good hair months in August and September doing wng's, but now with the weather changing up a bit I'm back to being completely confused about my hair and what to use, so yeah, I wanna talk about it. Very Happy

As for advertising, there is actually a huge increase in ads using natural hair, particularly those used in cities that have large AA populations. One of my college buds works for a big advertising agency and she said the trend is to find models with natural hair or use natural hair wigs. She wasn't sure what was driving that, but it's a real movement in advertising. Since she told me that, I see natural hair everywhere I go in print ads. McDonald's, Walmart, Dominoes, TJMaxx, when I say everywhere in Atlanta, I mean everywhere. It's amazing. I wonder what permed heads think when they see that? Oh, I know, the models have good hair, that's why they're natural.

Last edited by Renny on 11th October 2010, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar. good gracious.)
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 11th October 2010, 11:02 am

I have noticed more ads and commercials with natural hair women. I've also made a habit of counting the natural heads I see in a magazine. As Molove87 said, I don't know if I just never noticed before, or if it's a new thing. I just hope it's not a trend but more of a movement. I know one thing, I can say right now, I will not being getting my hair relaxed anytime in the future. Now, will that change 5 years from now? I don't know, but I hope I'll be natural until the day I die.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 11th October 2010, 11:17 am

Hey ladies, joining the topic. i am going on three years natural, not sure if i am an olddie or newbie. The first year and a half i totally did not pay attention to my hair, just wore wigs or hats. braided my hair with DAX and left it alone ...did that for about almost two years. One day i was on TY looking for a new wig style and came across a natural hair videos....the rest is history, got hook and i am enjoying being natural.

I have learned so much, my hair is doing well. i notice a lot of naturals now and i am so proud to rock my hair out. It is a great feeling and i wish i could help or educate everyor any one who wants to go natural.

I will NEVER go back, can't wait to see my hair in five years. oh Boy!!!
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 11th October 2010, 12:46 pm

I love the internet and have always been a member of different message board communities. But when I was relaxed, it never occurred to me to try and find a message board/blog, etc. about relaxed hair or hair in general. I was so accustomed to doing what I'd always done and using the same products I'd always used that it never crossed my mind.

However, when I decided to wear my hair natural for good, I had absolutely NO clue what to do with my hair. I Googled for "curly hair styles" and "curly hair care" and that's how I found Curly Nikki. From this site I've been introduced to other natural hair blogs, product sites, and of course, YouTube.

I think if I'd known to search for hair care sites before while relaxed I may have either given up the relaxer sooner because no matter what, all of these hair sites tend to overlap at times, what with transitioning and all, OR I may have stayed relaxed because I'd have learned how to better care for my relaxed hair.

Knowing what I know now, I am glad everything happened the way it did. I'm really happy with my curls and I love visiting this site and others to discuss it with other people in the same boat. It helps to see what others are doing, even if I can't do the same things...it gives me inspiration and support to keep on going.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 11th October 2010, 11:37 pm

ladygogohot wrote:Hey ladies, joining the topic. i am going on three years natural, not sure if i am an olddie or newbie. The first year and a half i totally did not pay attention to my hair, just wore wigs or hats. braided my hair with DAX and left it alone ...did that for about almost two years. One day i was on TY looking for a new wig style and came across a natural hair videos....the rest is history, got hook and i am enjoying being natural.

I have learned so much, my hair is doing well. i notice a lot of naturals now and i am so proud to rock my hair out. It is a great feeling and i wish i could help or educate everyor any one who wants to go natural.

I will NEVER go back, can't wait to see my hair in five years. oh Boy!!!

Ladygogohot, I think I'd consider you an oldie, but I've noticed on CN that a lot of oldies say they are just learning how to care for their natural hair. I'm just so glad there is so much information readily available so that I won't be tempted to go back to a relaxer.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by aduke1989 11th October 2010, 11:48 pm

I am very grateful for curlynikki.com it is helping become more comfortable about my natural hair. Although I'm really a newbie (been on my natural journey for about 4 and a half months) it's nice to see how others deal with the same issues I face with natural hair. I like the freedom with natural hair and I like that my hair is healthy. My main goal is to grow it long and wear it big and full like one of my wigs! Laughing
I also love that everyone on this site is very supportive and helpful to complete strangers! It's hard to find that now a days especially now that I live in NY. I remember when I was going to hair stores looking for natural products, if I'd see a women with natural hair and would try to ask about the products she uses, etc they wouldn't be very helpful and that made me skeptical about going natural. But I'm glad that I am sticking it out and I can't wait to see the results (I think around Christmas my hair will be at a nice length for me to do different styles and such)
aduke1989
aduke1989

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=648990541

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 12th October 2010, 1:16 am

I'm a newbie who just BC'd. Yay for naturalness! Razz

I would say I've seen all the natural models in magazines and on TV and I would just admire their hair (being one texture...seemingly), and I have noticed this is much more common and "allowable" I think that's good.

If this Natural thing is a trend, then hopefully many will stay with it and make it a life choice. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 12th October 2010, 12:02 pm

I love expressing to people how i feel about my coils. My bf say that i am "doing too much" and i want to talk to my friends about it but ALL of them either have weaves or relaxed hair and i dont want to sound like a natural hair snob. So I dont say anything about it unless they bring it up first. I have nobody but my mom to talk too cause she rock a TWA but since this is her 90th time doing the big chop, it not that exciting for her anymore. She just wash and go.
Thats why i love this site because everybody on here is in love with their hair and love telling people about it. Giving tips and suggestions. Sharing knowledge about that beautiful crown that grow from their head.
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 12th October 2010, 2:43 pm

I am an oldie (I've been natural all my life - 28yrs!) but I still enjoy talking about hair. Since the creation of sites such as Curly Nikki and Black Girl with Long Hair, there is so much more information available than ever before. I didn't really pay attention to the health of my hair until a few years ago, so some things are even 'new' to me. I enjoy hearing about new products/info/styles and enjoy sharing with others also.

When I was in college I had a couple of friends that went natural and they drove me up a wall with their 'natural nazism'! That, I just can't stand. Sharing info is one thing, but pushing your product suggestions down my throat and telling me what I should/shouldn't be doing with my hair is just wrong. I'm like a 3c/4a type of gal, and my friends were way into the 4c-z category. There's nothing wrong with that, but obviously some things I can do with my hair they couldn't, and vice versa. For example, another one of my natural friends refreshes her twist-outs with shower steam. For me shower steam=frizz and I'd look a hot mess after that shower. lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down