CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna color is running or bleeding

3 posters

Go down

Henna color is running or bleeding Empty Henna color is running or bleeding

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 21st September 2010, 10:27 am

Hi all,

I did my very first two hendigo treatments 5 1/2 and 4 weeks ago. I used products from Mehandi.com (Ancient Sunrise Celebration Henna for Hair 3.4% lawsone content, Indigo for Hair - awesome, dark, rich color), and used green tea, lemon juice and honey in my mixes. The henna was left overnight to release, and I did an overnight treatment the first time, then a 5-hour daytime treatment the second time.

Today as I was braiding my hair after a co-wash and shower, I noticed that the conditioner falling into my white sink was tinged brown-grey. Today I left in some Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Conditioner that I bought today, sprayed a bit of glycerine water, and sealed with castor oil, but this isn't the first time this has happened - that is, it has happened with other conditioners and other sealers. I also use Jason Apricot Shine, and AOHSR and AOWC conditioners. I use olive, coconut, and avocado oils sometimes in my conditioning, but that wasn't the case today. I use castor, coconut, or avocado oil to seal (I use shea butter too, but haven't since I hennaed). I don't have problems of staining on my light-colored clothes when my hair is wet. My hair is gradually getting lighter in some areas, but nothing drastic.

Has this happened to you? If so, do you have an idea of why? Do you know of any ingredients that might cause this to happen? Do you know if hair in certain conditions (processed hair, etc.) may tend to bleed color?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated, especially as I prepare to do another treatment.

Thanks ladies!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Henna color is running or bleeding Empty Re: Henna color is running or bleeding

Post by LittleOne 28th September 2010, 2:46 pm

Have you shampooed at all since you did the henna? Henna residue is very stubborn and you can't get it all out with co-washes. It sounds like most of it is gone, but not all of it. Try washing with a gentle, pH balanced shampoo. Maybe you have one from Jason, Aubrey, or Burt? Smile They all make good shampoos unless you have hard water. If you do, then you should buy a Nature's Gate version. HTH Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 29th September 2010, 7:54 pm

Hi LittleOne,

Thanks so much for your response. Yes, I have shampooed probably 3 times since I did the treatment (I co-wash otherwise). I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. Oddly enough, I don't find the color coming out when my hair is just plain wet. My hair towel is white, so I know I'd notice this.

I looked back at the henna for hair ebook from Mehandi.com, and I am thinking that it is the indigo that is coming out and fading, rather than the henna. I'm thinking the indigo might also be "encouraged" to bleed by one of the leave-in products I'm using. I have to test these possible theories out and try to isolate exactly which product it could be.

I'm doing another hendigo treatment next week, but think I'll just do plain henna treatments after that.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 30th September 2010, 12:45 pm

Oh, the indigo. Yea that makes a lot of sense. Henna has never lingered more than 1 shampoo and 1 co-wash for me. Sounds like you are about to solve the mystery! I'll be curious to see which leave-in is causing the problem. Please update us when you can!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 4th October 2010, 7:17 pm

This is interesting because I meant to come and post about my experience Friday/Sat. I put the henna in around 8PM on Friday night and for the first time left it in overnight. I was too tired to stay up and wait 4-6 hours. By the time I got in the shower on Sat. morning it was around 8AM. So that's 12 hours with the henna/full strength in my head.

This is the first time it's taken me so long to rinse it out and even then I was still getting reddish/brown residual after I applied my conditioner. I haven't washed my hair since Saturday, but I'm curious to see if any henna has lingered.

I will say that leaving it on longer has given my hair the look of a straight dark brown dye job. I mean it's a rich, rich dark brown on my non-gray hair and the grays are all a rich, bright auburn. In the sun you can see how red it is, but inside it's just a nice rich color.

Can't wait to hear if your residual has cleared up.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th October 2010, 1:39 am

@Free2Be: That Emerson quote is so perfect!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down