CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight.

+7
autumnczn
BajanPrincess82
DreamMerchant
natural83
Estiscurls
Alana
NaturalQueen36
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight. Empty Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight.

Post by NaturalQueen36 30th August 2010, 11:10 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. Natural for about 8 mths now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Just applied henna for the first time today. Wondering what are the benefits of leaving henna in overnight? Its only been 2 hours so far. Not sure if I should leave it in all night or take it out in 4 hours. My hair is a 4b in the front and a 3c in the back. Not sure how it will effect the two different grades. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight. Empty Re: Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight.

Post by NaturalQueen36 31st August 2010, 4:29 pm

Well I did not get a response so I took it out after 5 hours. I could tell a slight difference in the top. The curls are a little more relaxed. The back seems to only change a little too. The curl is a little longer than before. Still wondering what the results would be if I left it in overnight. Also need to how many boxes should you use if your hair is super thick? I found I had to stretch out the henna to get it to cover all of my hair. Not sure how much to use next time. Could someone please help me out on this.
Thanks
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight. Empty Re: Benefits of leaving Henna in overnight.

Post by Alana 31st August 2010, 8:54 pm

I dont know about leaving the henna on overnight. I am always scared to do it because I think that it will deepen the color of my hair and I dont want that. But I usually get 100 grams of Nupur henna from the indian store. I use 50 grams per treatment
Alana
Alana

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 1st September 2010, 12:24 am

The longer you leave in the henna the better the color. I have a lot of white on top and I left the henna on for only 3 hours and I should have left it on longer. I tried to sleep with it but it was too messy for me. I plan on leaving on for 6 hours, during the day, next time.

Judging by your hair in your avatar I would say 100 grams should suffice. It's better to have too much than not enough, though. So if you mix 200 grams in a big ol' big with a top (I go to the 99 cents store) and don't use it all you can put it in the freezer.

You need to put so much henna on your hair so that you can't see your hair anymore, your entire hair should be thickly coated. You can't put too much so don't worry about that - again, too much is better than not enough.

Last edited by Estiscurls on 1st September 2010, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To answer question.)
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 1st September 2010, 2:12 am

Thanks Estiscurls. I will make a bigger batch. I'm glad to know that having too Henna want do anything to my hair. It did color the grays in my hair too. I was very glad about that. On average how many times do you Henna?
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 1st September 2010, 3:51 am

Because I have a lot of white and because my hair grows fast this is what I've been doing lately: Henna all my hair on the first on the month, henna just the new growth around the 15th, so basically, every two weeks I'm applying henna. I also use indigo to cover up most, not all, my red roots.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 1st September 2010, 11:23 am

Thanks for the information. I think I'll end up doing the retouch on my hair. I have some gray hair in the top of my hair and some in the front of my hair. My hair always get a nice amount of new growth by the 2nd week. That was my issue when I use to have a perm. It would drive my hairdresser crazy.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th September 2010, 9:17 pm

I always sleep with the Henna on my head overnight. I've never had any problems. I like to do it this way to make sure it takes, and to give the color some time to release. Although I don't henna to color, I do like the hint of auburn it tends to leave in my hair! I hear if you mix the henna the night before, it will release the color that way, and then you can apply without having to leave it on so long. But I think im just lazy! LOL! I mix mine right before I put it on and sleep in it. Once my energy is built up to take it out the next day, that's when I take it out! Get great results everytime!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 4th September 2010, 11:49 pm

Natural83, your hair looks great! I'm going to try overnight one time and than another time letting the dye release a little longer. How often do you Henna?
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 5th September 2010, 11:45 pm

I do the overnight treatment simply because I am lazy. I use 200g of henna and by the time I am done putting that stuff in my hair, I am exhausted. I like being well rested to tackle my mane! I wrap ir in Suran Wrap, then I put a plastic condish cap on it and then I put my hair sak or slik scarf ontop of that.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 6th September 2010, 12:05 am

I leave it in overnight so that I can wake up early in the morning, wash it out, deep condition, and style my hair for the day.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 6th September 2010, 12:38 am

DreamMerchant I would of never thought of using Saran Wrap to close it in. That would generate more heat. I think I'll need either 150-200gs of the Henna. My hair is so thick.
BajanPrincess82 your hair in the picture looks great.
How often do you Henna?
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by autumnczn 6th September 2010, 8:30 pm

I love my henna treatments. I try to henna at least once a month. I find that the overnight method covers my 15% gray hair line the best. I use henna from Lush Cosmetics Caca Noir most of the time but in a pinch I use the henna from my local Indian store.

autumnczn

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 6th September 2010, 9:00 pm

I've always left my henna in overnight. It saves time, and like BajanPrincess82 I am able to rinse it out in the morning, depp condition and style, it won't take up most of my day.
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th September 2010, 12:17 am

NaturalQueen36 wrote:DreamMerchant I would of never thought of using Saran Wrap to close it in. That would generate more heat. I think I'll need either 150-200gs of the Henna. My hair is so thick.
BajanPrincess82 your hair in the picture looks great.
How often do you Henna?
Thanks girl. I henna about once a month and I love it how my hair looks and feels after the whole process is done.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 7th September 2010, 1:05 am

NaturalQueen36 wrote:Natural83, your hair looks great! I'm going to try overnight one time and than another time letting the dye release a little longer. How often do you Henna?

Thanks girl! I usually henna once a month, but here lately, I've been slacking! LOL! But Im going to get back on it because the fall/winter months are ahead, and my hair + henna does extremely well during these months!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 7th September 2010, 2:04 am

Thanks ladies. So what I gather is that the more hours on the hair the better the results on the gray for us folks with gray. I hope that the Henna will also eliminate some of the dryness from being in this Tucson heat. These killer 104 degree temps and the dry air makes me have to keep my moist alot more.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by jsparkles 9th September 2010, 10:10 pm

Estiscurls wrote:Because I have a lot of white and because my hair grows fast this is what I've been doing lately: Henna all my hair on the first on the month, henna just the new growth around the 15th, so basically, every two weeks I'm applying henna. I also use indigo to cover up most, not all, my red roots.

I wanted to know if you mix the indigo in your henna mix?

jsparkles

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th September 2010, 11:39 pm

When my hair was longer, I henna'ed overnight because my head felt too heavy to walk around all day with it. Now I henna overnight out of habit. And the saran wrap keeps all the mess on my head and not on my pillow.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 10th September 2010, 12:51 am

Freckledmom4, If I can get up enough courage to sleep in it I will use the saran wrap. I am a little worried about it leaking everywhere.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 10th September 2010, 10:03 am

The key is that you have to make your mix more like a paste so it is not runny. I slept in henna last night. My scarf came off, but there was no traces of henna in my bed. I always put my henna towel down just in case.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzbush 10th September 2010, 11:04 am

I slept with Henna on last night and there is never any leakage for me. Like freckledmom4 says, make it thick instead of runny. I put on a plastic/shower/conditioning cap to lock in the heat and cover that with a scarf. You can also put a headband around the plastic cap to keep it from slipping. Henna'ing once a month over night has made such a difference in my hair. It's so soft, shiny, and way stronger.
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 10th September 2010, 2:24 pm

I have a question Freckledmom4 and Mzbush. Do you let the henna sit for awhile or do you apply it as soon as you mix it. I see everyone does it differently.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzbush 10th September 2010, 3:00 pm

I have done it both ways and saw the same results whether I let it sit or did it right away. I don't know why but I prefer to let it sit a while. I mix in as little green tea as possible and let it sit for a while. Then right before I apply it, I add whatever ingredients I've got on hand to add.
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalQueen36 10th September 2010, 3:12 pm

Thanks Mzbush. I think I will try and let it set for awhile. I've seen people put it on soon after mixing, some wait for 4hrs and some 24hrs. I guess it is a trial and error to see what will work best for me.
NaturalQueen36
NaturalQueen36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next