CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo!

+15
LaToya28
Freestyles
Lynnieluve
Cnicoles6
nattyblog
Nikcoils
priceless
KeAnia
KinkyNappyHappy
krazy coils
cyclingchick
jlowman1
sweetdrk1
CrissyQ
jaybella
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo!

Post by LaToya28 21st December 2010, 11:27 am

Good job on your cinnabun. I don't really care for leaving in conditioners because they tend to make my scalp really itchy. Some of them do give really good results as far as moisture and curl definition, but I can't do it anymore.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo!

Post by CrissyQ 21st December 2010, 11:44 am

Hi, I feel like i have to leave some in. It does not matter if its a leave in or a rinse out. I feel naked without some. tongue
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 21st December 2010, 12:19 pm

I don't mind leaving conditioners in my hair. It has to be a light conditioner though (i.e. Suave or Tresemme Naturals). The heavier ones tend to make my hair feel a little product-y and leave my scalp itchy.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 21st December 2010, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input ladies. And thanks for the comments! To each is own I guess and that is perfectly alright with me! Smile

jaybella
jaybella

http://public.fotki.com/lucidbeautyy/

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 23rd December 2010, 2:20 pm

Hello Ladies,

The Christmas is right around the corner! And along with this weekend being Christmas, it is also my wash day.

I plan to trim my hair Friday to help get rid of some of the split ends that have accumlated. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't pick up the scissors, but my ends are rough. The last time I trimmed was some time early in the summer around June/July. I am going to keep the trimming at a 3 month-ish schedule.

I also found a new protective style to try! I was browsing through the forums and found this video:

It kind of reminds me of a cinnabun, but without the bun part. lol. It's cute.

Sadly, that and opening presents is all I have to look forward to for Christmas. My boo is at home in TN and I won't be able to see him until the 29th and even then, its gonna be for 24 hours and that is it! *sigh*

Do you ladies have any special plans (for your hair or anything in general) for the holidays?
J.
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 23rd December 2010, 3:00 pm

Cute cinnabun, to your earlier question I've never been able to leave in regular conditioner in my hair because my scalp becomes itchy and irritated. Some people can and it doesn't bother them. As long as you have no issues keep doing what works. You mentioned that you were having a problem with your ends, do you keep them moisturized to keep them from feeling rough and dry?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 23rd December 2010, 4:16 pm

Your cinnabun was really cute!!! I did that style once and I loved it......I'm gonna have to revisit it soon. I plan on wearing my hair in a chunky twist-out for Christmas. I've discovered that I get the best chunky twist-outs on dirty hair Shocked

Merry Christmas!!!
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 23rd December 2010, 4:46 pm

krazy coils wrote:Cute cinnabun, to your earlier question I've never been able to leave in regular conditioner in my hair because my scalp becomes itchy and irritated. Some people can and it doesn't bother them. As long as you have no issues keep doing what works. You mentioned that you were having a problem with your ends, do you keep them moisturized to keep them from feeling rough and dry?

Yes, I moisturize my hair and end everyday and use oil on my ends about twice a week. There are only certain areas of my hair that feel rough on the ends. I guess it is from not being able reach those places or maybe just being too rough.

jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 23rd December 2010, 9:35 pm

Hi Jaybella..Welcome. I love the hair, and I love the cinnabun style..Quite nice! I have been considering doing that style for the holidays..Anywho, you had inquired on moisture for winter a while back. I will second Krazy Coils, Qhemet is great. The best moisturizer I have tried so far. Outside of good old fashion conditioner and water. The heavy cream or the burdock cream will work. Little goes a long way..Blessings flower
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 1st January 2011, 3:04 am

Happy 2011 you guys! I am excited about the new year because I graduate in about 5 months! Smile

Anywho, just wanted to let you know what was up in hair world. I finally got enough money (and time) to buy my precious hair moisturizer that I have been using! Not that it is expensive, but I have some serious bills to pay and that comes BEFORE my hair! lol.

I also did a major trim to kick some split ends in the butt. My hair came down to the bottom of my lip, but now it comes just below my top lip. And I finally tried a sock bun which means another protective style that I can revisit this winter:

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5310586894_59813db0a5_b

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5309995899_7a60ff35aa_b

I also was able to conjur up this protective style too:

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5309994685_53cd65e3db_b

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5310583754_561f4e10df_b

I didn't wash my hair, just put them in some big twists and used a banana clip to hold in place. I then took my ends, tucked them under, and used bobby pins to secure them in place. VIOLA! Protective style #2.

My hair has a lot of buildup and so does my scalp so that means its clarifying time! But I won't have time to really take the time to wash my hair until Sunday afternoon.

When you guys are running short on time, do you wait until free time to wash your hair or just rush and do it?

J.
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st January 2011, 12:11 pm

love styles! that bun is adorable
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 1st January 2011, 1:34 pm

I absolutely love the bun. In your last entry you said that you need to use a clarifying shampoo for all of the product build up. What clarifying shampoo do you use?
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 1st January 2011, 9:43 pm

I have been using Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo as a clarifying shampoo. It cleans my hair very gently and never leaves it feeling stripped. I only use it once for each section (shampoo and condition my hair in four sections), but sometimes I use it twice and I have never had a problem with my hair feeling stripped.

I only clarify my hair maybe once or twice a month.
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 3rd January 2011, 5:45 pm

Afternoon ladies,

I am going on a protective style challenge until about April. I have said that I would do this for a while, but I always quit after a few weeks. I am going to stick with it this time. I want to retain some length.

Washed with Neutrogena AntiResidue Shampoo and deep conditioned (w/ heat) with ION Effective Care Conditioner. I got this from Sally's for free because I renewed my membership. The lady told me it would help with the breakage I was experiencing and my hair generally felt stronger after using it. I will continue to use it as well. I then proceeded to use African Pride Olive Miracle Moisturizing Lotion mixed with an ounce of cocoa butter. Braided my hair into 14 braids and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up and undid the braids, took each braid, split them in two and twists my hair. This is the results, which is the same as it was before, but a bit to the side.

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5321351502_1a4d4e5ee5_b

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 5320750205_754cdee3f3_b

I read somewhere that wearing your hair in a bun while it was in the same area results in breakage, so I am going to change it up every week. I like this style and will continue to use it as a go-to style.

J.
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd January 2011, 6:41 pm

you do some really nice styles. Sock Bun, Cinnabun..Honey Bun...you can do it!!! LOL

Love your twists with the banana clip!! I wish I could go two weeks..I just twisted my hair and it took me 2 1/2 hrs. I'm going to try and stretch this style out for two weeks. Well see....

Hope you are enjoying your New Years thus far..
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 3rd January 2011, 10:11 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:you do some really nice styles. Sock Bun, Cinnabun..Honey Bun...you can do it!!! LOL

Love your twists with the banana clip!! I wish I could go two weeks..I just twisted my hair and it took me 2 1/2 hrs. I'm going to try and stretch this style out for two weeks. Well see....

Hope you are enjoying your New Years thus far..

Thanks! I try. Mostly get my inspiration from YT channels and fotki albums and just add a little twist to them. Smile
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 8th January 2011, 1:15 am

Evenin' ladies,

Tomorrow is wash day. I am think the past two styling sessions with the banana clip and twists is going to be a signature for me. It is just so easy and simple to do and doesn't take a lot of time. I go back to school in another week and it's my last semester and there is tons to do. (hell, I might not even sleep for 4 months! LOL.) I figured if I were to go out or something then I would jazz up my hair, but being a Theater Major I don't have much time for anything.

Anywho I realized that I never posted a reggie or any sort of product usage here. I need to let you guys in on these things! I don't really use all natural products mainly because I am broke half the time but also because they aren't in reach where I go to school at or live at.

Soo....here is my reggie. It's kind of simple, but that is how I try to keep things.

Daily(really every other day):
-Moisturize with African Pride Olive Miracle Lotion.
--It's a bit oily so I try to use it sparingly, but it makes my hair soft and moisturized. And its CHEAP, 3 dollars at most. Gotta keep in the budget. Smile

Weekly:
-Part into 4 puff sections
-Detangle on dry hair with a little conditioner. (I just feel like I get more breakage when I detangle with wet hair!) Usually it depends on what cheapie conditioner I have, right now I have a huge bottle of Suave Humectant lying aorund, so I use that.
-Shampoo with Pantene Pro-V Curly Dry to Moisturized Shampoo
-Deep condition with or without heat (depends on my mood!) My favs of all time have been GVP Conditioning Balm and Ion Repair Solutions Effective Treatment. I haven't been able to get to the Balm, but I am using Garnier Fructis 3 Min Masque mixed with olive and coconut oil.
-Braid into 14 -16 braids, cover with cap and go/sleep

Monthly:
-Clarify with Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
-Deep condition with above mentioned

The last time washed my hair after I did the braids and went to bed, I woke up the next morning and twisted my hair. It was super easy and I think I am going to try it again and see how things go.

I guess that is simple enough? I thought it was until I went back read it all....Laughing
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 8th January 2011, 10:43 am

I haven't been here in a minute! I came because I LOVE the avi! I stayed because you have some nice styles going on in here! Happy New Year and keep up the great job with your hair!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 8th January 2011, 10:24 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I haven't been here in a minute! I came because I LOVE the avi! I stayed because you have some nice styles going on in here! Happy New Year and keep up the great job with your hair!

Thanks! Smile I love your CSJ!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I know I am late ya'll but I made some New Year Resolutions concerning my hair.

This is copied from my blog, but I figured I would post it here too! Smile

-Use a lot less heat. At school time is precious and I would blow dry my hair to quickly get things done which (even though I used a heat protectant) resulted in dryness and breakage.

-More protective styles. Again, while in school I found my hair doing a lot better in protective styles, but I can never keep it going. Well its been going for the last two weeks and it's gonna stay that way until at least the beginning of April! Smile

-Up the moisture. I bought my favorite moisturizer in two bottles so that I will not run out again. Added a little cocoa butter to it...and now my hair just soaks it up.

-Learn more styles. I kind of picked up the Banana Clip Bun as a staple style. I am going to be doing a lot more with two strand twists and braids when it comes to protective styling. They tend to stretch out the hair so there are no SSK (single strand knots) as well as protect my ends.

-Keep up with documenting hair. This may include videos and will DEFINITELY include blogging and pics. I don't want to become a Youtube guru or anything, but it will help me personally with my journey...I just gotta keep with it! I have a fotki that I haven't posted on in MONTHS! (Link in my siggy!)

So there it is! Did you guys make any New Year Resolutions? Hair related or not! Smile
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 13th January 2011, 11:28 pm

Ladies!

How are you guys doing? It has been cold and I have been snowed in for the past few days here in SC. I go back to school Sunday for MY LAST SEMESTER OF COLLEGE!!!! dance I am so excited, but scared...mainly excited at the moment. My thesis is due this semester which means I will have to time what so ever!

This also means I didn't want to be held down having to worry about my hair every day, so I put in some box braids!

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Frontveiwofhair-vi

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Sideviewofhair-vi

I like the hang time I get with them and the growth! These are a set a did around August/Sept, so you can see growth comparison...

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 IMG000351-vi

I plan to keep these if for about six weeks (at least 4 weeks if I don't make it to 6). I just need to know how to style them!

Basically I followed my regimen with a few changes: shampoo, DC, stretch hair, style hair...done. For the DC though I used avacado, honey, banana, and EVOO...my hair still smells like bananas!! Eck. (I hate the smell of ripe banans). I also made a hair butter that wasn't really butter.

I used cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and vitamin e oil and whipped it together. I put it in the fridge, which I probably shouldn't have done, but either way it is still usable! When it melts, it is so nice though! I really want to start making my own things. I plan to go to Earth Fare and get some ingredients to make a braid spray.

Do you guys make your own hair butters? How do they turn out?
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 18th February 2011, 2:15 am

OMG I ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO UPDATE! lol. The life of a busy college senior...Shocked

After four week with braids I took them out and I did a recent trim of some serious splits. I feel so bad because I had so much length and then it was gone, but it needed to happen. SO I am on my way to protective/low mani styling. This week I have been rocking a faux bun and it has been doing wonders for my hair!

Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Photo_12
Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Photo_11
Jaybella: Interesting Article on Yahoo! - Page 2 Photo_10

I got both the styles (for the front part and the bun part) from College Curlies, though the orignal faux bun post was on the Curly Nikki blog. This is going to be in my protective style rotation for a while it is just so simple and easy to take care of.

I think for next week I am just going to keep the bun, but add some flat twists in the front or something. I have too much going on and my excema is acting up as a result of stress. Not a good look when I am trying to be cute for my boo! Sad

Hope all is well with you guys!
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 24th February 2011, 3:00 pm

I was browsing though Yahoo! homepage and came across this article. It is about the health concerns of the Brazilian Blowout Treatment.

Yahoo -- Brazilian Blow Out Health Concerns

I am in no way against straightening hair and I don't have an opinion on the topic because I have never tried the Brazilian Treatment. I have seen it advertised in my community, but that is about it. I wanted to try it because friends have said it works wonders.

But I thought the article was interesting enough! One thing I found really interesting is that the US isn't the only place that has problems with natural (or curly) hair in the workplace. Brazil advertises for straight hair appearances -- or so it seems from the article. Have a look-see!

What do you guys think? Have you ever had any experience with this?
jaybella
jaybella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2