CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!!

+17
NubieNatty
AKASmile
Jonezy
CocoEuro
Blakk Buttaflyy
Hollis
back2nap1120
Intelligentbeauty
splitsun
jamaicacurl
Enchantment
d.denise
NikG20
tamtam7
Erica5417
loveself247
oooop2
21 posters

Go down

Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!! Empty Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!!

Post by oooop2 16th November 2009, 9:21 pm

oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!! Empty Re: Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!!

Post by loveself247 16th November 2009, 9:32 pm

@oooop2...awwwhhh I remember when my hair use to look like that. So glad to see the parents taking the time and effort to care for her hair.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!! Empty Re: Check out this link my girlfriend just sent me and post your thoughts!!!

Post by Erica5417 16th November 2009, 9:47 pm

I hate to be the negative Nelly. While I think it's great that he takes time to care for his daughter's hair (he does an amazing job!), it's unfortunate that once again, someone outside of our race gets credited for doing what we've been doing for centuries. People don't understand the cultural importance of time spent doing one another's hair, the quality time spent parent to child and between girlfriend's in the salon. The media portrays our obsession with our hair as trivial but when someone outside the culture does the same thing he's lauded nationally. Just my thoughts.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 16th November 2009, 10:10 pm

I agree with you Erica. I also thought it was interesting that doing his daughter's hair is the lithmus test for parenting. Interesting! What also striked me as...well...interesting was the comment that her hair doesn't "bounce and behave" or something like that. That little girl has beautiful hair and the dad does a great job doing her hair, but I mean...I'm not going to crown him or anything for doing what a parent is supposed to do.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 16th November 2009, 10:29 pm

I think it is great that a man took the time to learn how to do his daughter's hair. I personally have never seen a man actually style his daughter's hair.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 16th November 2009, 10:51 pm

is he parting her hair with a fork lol? my dad never did my hair and if he "did" it, that would encompass putting all of my hair in one puff ball or ponytail and calling it a day.

regardless of whether or not he is black or white or blue or green congratulations for making enough noise for someone to pay attention to it. If there are black men out there who are doing this very thing, put them on blast (in a good way) too. and even if "mainstream" media doesn't pick it up, who cares, our people, our responsibility. I personally don't know any black men who are taking care of their daughter's hair like that so I still say kudos to him.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 16th November 2009, 11:35 pm

I can say, my uncle, and two of my girlfriend's hubbys know how to do their daughters hair. My girlfriend traveled a lot and had to show her husband what to do. My other girlfriends hubby shampoos and all, so it's definitely done in our community.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 16th November 2009, 11:41 pm

I think it's great that the dad is taking time to learn how to do her hair (funny that he was using a fork & I saw 2 tubs of vaseline in that drawer [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ). There are many dads, regardless of race, who don't have this much involvement in their kids' lives.
It could be worse, he could have chosen to straighten her hair somehow.

I say kudos to him too!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th November 2009, 12:04 am

Erica...I understand what you are saying. However, like others have stated, I am impressed that this Father saw the need and took the time to learn how to care for his daughters hair. I had a white lady stop me in the store (Whole Foods) the other day b/c she liked my twist and wanted tips on how to care for her AFr Am sons hair. I was happy she felt comfortable to ask.....
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 17th November 2009, 12:06 am

The pics are pretty awesome. He's still learning and doing far better than my own dad (who also sports a natural fro) and fathers of many of my friends who know the -brush it back and put it in one- technique for all occasions.

Moreso, it wasn't just a dad and a daughter hair experience but a family connection through different ethnic identities and crossing those boundaries that many people take for granted. Sure the words aren't right and the products he uses aren't perfect (can we email him or something cause that vaseline has got to go) but the love and respect he has for his baby girl definitely shows.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th November 2009, 4:26 am

I truly want to thank you ooop2 for sharing this article. I was truly touched by it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I just want to clear up a misread. One journalist made the statement, "...just by virtue of having hair that doesn't bouce and behave," not the father and mother.

I was impressed that they refuse to do new styles before going to church because "haste led to bad hairdos" and they do not want their child to think her hair is a burden. How powerful is that!!! How many in our community was raised thinking our hair IS a burden that must be fixed(creamy crack)!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
To me this article goes beyond hair. The way her hair looks is a testament to their parenting in this situation because of the racial presence that is so obvious. It shows a deep level of concern that is procceed by an action of love (research to see how to groom her hair and make it prosper) to make sure they doing their best toward their adopted child. And to me, that speaks volumes!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 17th November 2009, 4:49 am

I think the article was beautiful and touching. More than anything I think its wonderful that he and his wife took the time to truly research and learn how to care for her hair and to in turn teach her that her hair is not a burden to them and to teach her to love her hair because it is beautiful. Great job on them!!
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 17th November 2009, 11:18 am

I recognized that the statement "...just by virtue of having hair that doesn't bouce and behave" was made by a journalist, I just thought it was an interesting statement nonetheless. I know what some of the previous posters mean about it being a bonding experience for daughter and father. My dad used to do my hair when I was younger and although I looked "a mess" sometimes I appreciate the fact that he did it, and it was a great bonding experience for us.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 17th November 2009, 9:40 pm

at least he took time to do and nuture her hair rather than slapping some perm on it!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 17th November 2009, 10:07 pm

@Intelligentbeauty
Amen to that!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakk Buttaflyy 20th November 2009, 6:58 pm

What a sweet story. When I was little my dad would do my haira lot. He actually styled better than my mom, who hated to do hair.
Blakk Buttaflyy
Blakk Buttaflyy

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 21st November 2009, 6:30 pm

ok..this is cute, I'm glad to see him doing her hair...butttt I hate to point things out!! In one picture it looked like he was combing her hair with a plastic fork!!!! The picture with products had two tubs of petroleum jelly!! Well her hair looks good huh?
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 21st November 2009, 7:31 pm

different products work for different people,her hair looks great so if the petrojelly and fork works,why knock it? lol I know folks who use hair grease and thier hair looks "healthier" than ladies who whos all natural products.

it was a nice article--it's good that the parents decided to stop letting her hair go wild and took the time to learn how to manage it.
Some af.amer. women don't know how to manage their own stuff......
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AKASmile 21st November 2009, 8:56 pm

Sweet story! I commend him for caring enough to learn how to do her hair and more importantly to keep it healthy. I have friends now who plan to adopt a daughter from Ethiopia and they have already sought me out for help with how to care for her hair.

What I thought was interesting was that they didn't show the mom doing her hair. Either way Miriam is beautiful and appears happy with her family.
AKASmile
AKASmile

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 21st November 2009, 9:22 pm

i was also touched by the article. if i dont have my daughter by 31 im adopting (i got 3 yrs to go). men are so quick n simple i love it when i see them doin their girls hair. luckily my stepmom's been around since i was 4 for those summers spent wit dad, whew! miriam does have gorgeous hair and i hope when she gets older she embrace it enuff to take care of it too!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 21st November 2009, 10:59 pm

I think this is so sweet! My mother and hairdresser were the only ones who ever did my hair, even when is wasn't permed. The one time when my mother was on vacation that my dad DID do my hair I looked a HOT mess. I just had uneven puffballs because my dad doesn't know how to braid. But he can do a mean shape up, and has a lot of practice with my younger brothers.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 22nd November 2009, 11:42 am

Such a great article!!
I appreciate any father doing their lil girl's hair- whether looking all crazy or not.Its a nice bonding experience.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd November 2009, 6:14 pm

Honestly, her hair looks a lot better than some children with black parents!

I love it and that's amazing because I have very conflicting feelings about non-blacks adopting our children. I know personally that I loved when my father combed my hair and the fact that this man has educated himself and takes the time to do his daughter's hair says a lot. I see the love he has for her and really that's all that's important. Now, I do want that vaseline and CD out of that box, but her hair does look good so I'll let it go.

Overall, I'm really impressed and happy that this lil sister has someone to sincerely and accept her. What else matters when you have these too essential things in your life?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 22nd November 2009, 6:16 pm

SisterBoyd wrote:Honestly, her hair looks a lot better than some children with black parents!

I love it and that's amazing because I have very conflicting feelings about non-blacks adopting our children. I know personally that I loved when my father combed my hair and the fact that this man has educated himself and takes the time to do his daughter's hair says a lot. I see the love he has for her and really that's all that's important. Now, I do want that vaseline and CD out of that box, but her hair does look good so I'll let it go.

Overall, I'm really impressed and happy that this lil sister has someone to sincerely and accept her. What else matters when you have these too essential things in your life?

So true!!!!
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Char82 22nd November 2009, 7:34 pm

I also thought it was really touching and that he did a pretty good job - she looked cute.
Char82
Char82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down