CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Henna have an affect on your body?

+8
LushAfroBush
Butterfly126
KhemetQT
MelMelBee
freckledmom4
natural83
FloridaSunshiny
CurlyNaija
12 posters

Go down

Does Henna have an affect on your body? Empty Does Henna have an affect on your body?

Post by CurlyNaija 24th July 2010, 1:36 pm

So I just did my second big chop and I'm really trying to grow my hair healthy and strong. So after reading so many great things about henna I decided to try it. Last night was my very first time. I mixed it up like CN does except I added a little ACV and Olive Oil to my mix. Let it set for a few hours ( I was hungry) and than I washed and conditioned and applied the henna. Than I slept with it.

I personally think henna stinks and I'm sure the strong smell contributed to my headache the next morning. And my head was feeling quite heavy. (My mix was thick). But the real question here is, can henna on your head affect the color of your urine?? Ok Ok I know that is a very ODD question lol but, when I went to the bathroom, as I do every morning, when I turned around to flush, I was shocked to see my pee was dark green, like the color the henna is out of the box!!! (I used Jamila BAQ)

I didn't know what to think so I racked my brain like everyone else probably would. I know I have a weird body (my bestie tells me that all the time) cause things affect me weirdly. So I thought back to what I had eaten the previous day, which was only 8 popcorn shrimp with come cocktail sauce. (Not healthy I know) And that has never turned my pee green. Matter of fact, nothing ever has.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I don't know what to think. It was my first henna and I LOVE the results and the color, but green pee? I don't think so!!

CurlyNaija

Back to top Go down

Does Henna have an affect on your body? Empty Re: Does Henna have an affect on your body?

Post by FloridaSunshiny 24th July 2010, 3:14 pm

I have henna'd a few times and I've NEVER had that happen. The only time my urine has changes colors is when I take a multi vitamin.

Weird!
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Does Henna have an affect on your body? Empty Re: Does Henna have an affect on your body?

Post by natural83 24th July 2010, 6:49 pm

Oh wow! Yeah, I've been henna'ing my hair since November...pretty much once a month, and I've never experienced any of those symptoms! As @FloridaSunshiny mentioned above, the only time my urine is different is when I take a multi-vitamin! And even then, its bright yellow, not green.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 24th July 2010, 8:00 pm

This has not happened to me but I did read about something like this happening to someone on a forum. Search this forum and you may find it.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 11th August 2010, 10:19 am

@CurlyNiaja (think I spelled it right this time Smile

OMGosh!!! So this is my second time using henna. The first time, I did not use Jamilla henna...this time I did. It's actually sitting on my head now. So I put it in last night and this morning when I went to the bathroom my urine was dark green too! Strange. Have you had any other side effects? I'm going on WebMD now to check it!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KhemetQT 11th August 2010, 2:09 pm

OMG!! I just did my first henna(jamilla) yesterday. I left it in overnight and when I woke up I had a really bad headache and dark green pee too! I LOVE the results but I don't like the headache and the green pee! Has anyone gotten a head ache when hennaing?
KhemetQT
KhemetQT

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly126 14th August 2010, 9:59 am

I haven't tried henna yet but OMG!!! green urine?!!! That's a little scary! I hope henna doesn't have any bad effects on your body!
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 14th August 2010, 1:10 pm

@ Butterfly126 and everyone else!

I've read that Henna does NOT have a negative effect on the body. Some people are allergic to it, which is why you should do a strand test first.

A common "harmless" side effect to prolonged exposure to Henna (12 hours is prolonged) can cause the plant to be absorbed into your bloodstream. Depending on your body, some people report green urine, but once the henna is rinsed out it no longer occurs.

This is just like anything else that you intake into your body, either orally or topically. Your scalp, like your skin is not solid, but is permiable...allowing things in and out!

I have not had any other effects! So, I'll be using it again!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by LushAfroBush 16th August 2010, 7:47 pm

Yes! Green pee over here! It only happens when I sleep with henna on overnight for 8 or more hours.
LushAfroBush
LushAfroBush

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 16th August 2010, 9:14 pm

I did my 1st henna on Sunday. I didn't get green pee, but I definitely had a headache. It wasn't bad, but it was there.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 17th August 2010, 1:22 am

I was reading through these posts on green pee and it made me realize that while everyone's bodies absorb things that are applied to your skin, those of you absorbing the henna overnight have perhaps a heightened ability and therefore should be careful with anything else you put onto your skin (or scalp). Read those labels, and think carefully about the ingredients your body could be taking in. Luckily, pure henna is ground plant leaf and doesn't have toxic effects, but it could still be harmful for those who are allergy prone. But synthetic ingredients should be considered more carefully - they too could be absorbed and stored, and for many of them we currently don't know what the effects are on our bodies. Be careful, y'all!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 24th August 2010, 6:36 pm

Gado-Gado Gal wrote:I was reading through these posts on green pee and it made me realize that while everyone's bodies absorb things that are applied to your skin, those of you absorbing the henna overnight have perhaps a heightened ability and therefore should be careful with anything else you put onto your skin (or scalp). Read those labels, and think carefully about the ingredients your body could be taking in. Luckily, pure henna is ground plant leaf and doesn't have toxic effects, but it could still be harmful for those who are allergy prone. But synthetic ingredients should be considered more carefully - they too could be absorbed and stored, and for many of them we currently don't know what the effects are on our bodies. Be careful, y'all!

You are absolutely right!!! This is why we should also watch what we eat and drink, because it effects our bodies, it effects our hair as well!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNaija 1st September 2010, 5:03 pm

Oh WOW!! I thought I was alone lol! Thanks you guys!! That is a LOT of great info! Since that was my one and only time, I most certainly WILL be hennaing again. I'll just not sleep with it since that seems to be the culprit. (prolonged exposure)

Again. Thanks Everybody!

CurlyNaija

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 20th September 2010, 2:04 pm

I too have suffered the green pee lol. The first two times I did henna it didn't happen. This time i left it in for about eight hours while I was running errands all over the city with my 26lb infant strapped to my back and when I went to the bathroom after rinsing it out, there was the green urine. Shocked oh well. It wont stop me from henna'ing again lol.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 22nd September 2010, 7:46 am

so im wondering if this could affect breastfeeding? just curious...
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 22nd September 2010, 10:28 am

I am currently breastfeeding my son. He hasn't reacted to it but I'm sure there are traces of it in there...probably. It didn't turn HIS pee green tho lol.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down