CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In need of another method for M&S my hair...

4 posters

Go down

In need of another method for M&S my hair... Empty In need of another method for M&S my hair...

Post by Keisha 22nd July 2010, 7:39 pm

Since starting my HHJ in Jan 2009 i've been doing everything to my hair in 4 sections. I wash, cowash, apply henna, M&S, I even do my scalp massages and hot oil treatments with my hair in 4 sections... everything is always done in 4 sections. Detangling my hair in 4 sections is a breeze. I dont notice any breakage and I have minimal shedding during this process. My problem comes when its time to M&S my hair. I airdry my hair in 4 sections and when its about 60 - 70% dry, I apply my products and proceed to put my hair in a bun which is the style i'll wear for the next 2 or 3 days. During the M&S process is where I experience the most breakage and excessive shedding. I use a denman brush to evenly distribute products thru my hair then I gather the 4 sections up into a bun that I usually wear for 2 or 3 days. At the end of all that, I have so many hairs in my brush. Idk if its the downward brushing I do to evenly distribute the product or the upward brushing at the end when I gather my hair into a bun? Whichever it is im tired of it. I get discouraged, seeing hairs all in my sink and in my brush. I use a boar bristle brush once a week and thats only when I make my initial bun after I've washed/cowashed my hair. On 2nd and 3rd day hair, I use the palms of my hands to smooth my edges back. Am I doing something wrong? Am I too rough with my hair? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

In need of another method for M&S my hair... Empty Re: In need of another method for M&S my hair...

Post by HappyCurly 22nd July 2010, 10:10 pm

i've never used a hair brush on my transitioning hair...have you tried a wide tooth comb instead, along with hands, to smooth hair into bun? maybe less hair will come out in the comb. i hope other curlies chime in on this one, since i've been thinking about buying a brush. it seems like what i'm missing to smooth things out or make a puff out of a braid out.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

In need of another method for M&S my hair... Empty Re: In need of another method for M&S my hair...

Post by Juices-n-Berries 23rd July 2010, 12:08 am

Question. What is M&S?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd July 2010, 11:07 am

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Question. What is M&S?
Moisturize & Seal, I think.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd July 2010, 11:19 am

Keisha wrote:Since starting my HHJ in Jan 2009 i've been doing everything to my hair in 4 sections. I wash, cowash, apply henna, M&S, I even do my scalp massages and hot oil treatments with my hair in 4 sections... everything is always done in 4 sections. Detangling my hair in 4 sections is a breeze. I dont notice any breakage and I have minimal shedding during this process. My problem comes when its time to M&S my hair. I airdry my hair in 4 sections and when its about 60 - 70% dry, I apply my products and proceed to put my hair in a bun which is the style i'll wear for the next 2 or 3 days. During the M&S process is where I experience the most breakage and excessive shedding. I use a denman brush to evenly distribute products thru my hair then I gather the 4 sections up into a bun that I usually wear for 2 or 3 days. At the end of all that, I have so many hairs in my brush. Idk if its the downward brushing I do to evenly distribute the product or the upward brushing at the end when I gather my hair into a bun? Whichever it is im tired of it. I get discouraged, seeing hairs all in my sink and in my brush. I use a boar bristle brush once a week and thats only when I make my initial bun after I've washed/cowashed my hair. On 2nd and 3rd day hair, I use the palms of my hands to smooth my edges back. Am I doing something wrong? Am I too rough with my hair? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The bolded sections is where there may be a problem. It may be best to moisturize (and seal) prior to allowing hair to dry to 60 – 70%. Remember like attracts like so if you hair is mostly dry when adding moisture, your hair may not absorb all it needs. Also using a denman when you hair is that dry may be contributing to breakage. Most use the denman on soaking wet or wet hair. Also, boar bristle brushes are harsh. I suggest using the denman, paddle brush or toothbrush to smooth edges.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 23rd July 2010, 5:18 pm

thanks ChrsLvsBks
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down