CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CG/Conditioner only method

4 posters

Go down

CG/Conditioner only method Empty CG/Conditioner only method

Post by C. 12th July 2010, 11:44 am

So as most, if not all of you know, co-washing is really popular among naturals. I have not tried it, but am willing to because it seems like it would be really beneficial to my hair. plus I recently discovered that my curls pop a whole lot more with just conditioner (dont even need gel!!); but not so much with leave-in conditioners (i guess they aren't thick enough).
My questions are these:

1. What conditioner should i use to co-wash that doesnt have any silicones or anything that'll cause build-up/dryness or mask any hair problems? heard VO5 was good
2. What condish should I use as a leave-in? right now I am using Cantu shea butter, but it causes waaaay too much buildup.
3. How do I start the CG method? I'm currently using Aussie Moist products and they work great for my hair, but they contain silicones- bisaminopropyl dimethicone (sp) & amodimethicone--i read conflicting things about these. NC said that these are NOT water-soluble and must be washed out with coco-betaine or SLS, but Curly Nikki said that they can be washed out with condish and water
4. CAn I continue to use Aussie Moist and still do co-washes, or will the silicones listed above cause dryness and mask any hair issues/concerns ( i read that they dont build-up on the hair and aid in moisture retention, but if they are never washed off, how can new moisture reach the hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ?)
5. Is coco-betaine only in no/low poos or can i find it in a conditioner and still do co-washes, but also remove the silicones from the aussie moist products?

***sorry for all the questions. the CG method/ co-washing seems like it would really work for me. i know for CG that i'd have to do one last wash with a sulfate shampoo to remove buildup, but I really want to continue using aussie moist (unless there are any recommendations for a better line with reasonable prices).***

C.

Back to top Go down

CG/Conditioner only method Empty Re: CG/Conditioner only method

Post by C. 12th July 2010, 2:36 pm

so after much thinking and googling, i think i know what i want to do

im going to buy the VO5 clarifying conditioner to cleanse my hair and scalp and to remove any silicones or buildup.

i'll then continue to use aussie moist, but once a week use the clarifying condish to remove the cones from my hair. i'm also going to try VO5 moisture milks for co-washing and as a styler/leave-in and gradually wean myself off of the silicones

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 12th July 2010, 3:47 pm

Hey,

I hope someone more helpful than me chimes in to help you lol. But if the Aussie Moist really works well for you then continue using it. I loved it when I used it but went CG and stopped. But I'm still wondering if I should go back because the only condish I've tried that compares is Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner. It's 8.99 at Target/Walgreens but 3.99 at Ross if you're lucky enough to find it. But I would much rather buy the huge Aussie Moist with a pump for 5 bucks at walmart. But the disagreement between people on what cones are water soluble and aren't confuses me a lot so I try and stay away from all of them just in case

I also use the VO5 moisture milks as a regular cowash or to help get shed hairs out. It gets the job done but I do wish it was a smidgen thicker, although for less than $1 it will stay in rotation.

HTH some.

I've heard several good things about Tresemmes Natural Nourishing Moisturizing conditioner. (It didn't work for me because of the protein) but for the price and the huge size I would say it's worth a try.

As a leave in I use the Kinky Curly Knot Today and I actually get really good curl definition from it (best ever from a leave in). I also use Giovanni Direct Leave In from time to time since it's about $5 cheaper than my KCKT and I'm starting to run out.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 12th July 2010, 3:53 pm

Thanx MsStokes for the advice. I've seen the Yes To *name of some vegetable* line in Ross, but never thought to try it. I will however purchase the clarifying VO5 because I'm starting to hate Cantu--too much buildup too fast; like right after I apply it and it dries I have build up on my scalp [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

So how do you like the CG method (i mean is it a lot of work)? I heard that it may take a few weeks before you see any noticeable results (NC & Mahogany Curls)

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 12th July 2010, 4:24 pm

I know the Cucumber one is the only silicone free one and it's safe for color treated hair, that's why I picked that one over the others. (and it didn't smell as bad as the carrots one).

i hated the Cantu leave in. The build up was ridiculous and it didn't play well with other product, not to mention I'm extremely protein sensitive and my hair lost it's mind when I was using this stuff lol.

Honestly I don't think it's a lot of work, but I was a modified CG when I was transitioning and when I finally BC'd I used my Aussie Moist Shampoo to rid of build up and that was pretty much it. lol so I don't know if it's made a difference, which is why I'm considering stopping for a few weeks and seeing if I see something different, but I haven't because "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it" lol

I do use a shampoo bar or diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap every now and then if I feel as if I need it, and every now and then, when I use a new product or feel like those 2 aren't getting everything clean, I go back to my Aussie Moist shampoo just to make sure. So I guess I'm still a modified CG when it comes to shampoo, but I don't use any cones in my conditioners.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 12th July 2010, 7:21 pm

I use the CG method. I co wash with either Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner or Giovanni Smooth As Silk every day. I buy both from Vitamin Cottage (like whole foods in Colorado) But I know both Target and Wal Mart sell Giovanni. So far I've really liked these 2 conditioners because my hair still lathers when I use them to CW and it feels clean after. I wash my hair once a week with Giovanni 50/50 or the White Camellia Shampoo.I LOVE Kinky Curly Knot today! I've started using Kimmaytubes Leave In receipe that uses KCNT and so far my hair likes that as well (there's a tutorial on how to make it on youtube). I also use Kinky Curly Curling Custard as my gel for curl definition and Vatika Oil as a sealent.

As far as results. I noticed some results in like a week when I switched products. My hair was softer, easier to manage (it's short and I don't even really have to comb it now) and my scalp didn't itch... at all. So I'm sold on it for now. We'll see what I'll do once my hair grows longer.

Not sure if I was any help what so ever....
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 12th July 2010, 11:47 pm

thanx Red and Ms.Stokes you really helped a lot. when i purchase the vo5 i'll let you know how it goes. i think it'll work out for me cuz i use the aussie moist as a leave-in/styler and it works wonders for me so i will be keepingit around; like you (Ms.Stokes) said "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

again thanx so much

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marci Pie 16th July 2010, 1:55 am

Naturallycurly.com has great information also.

Marci Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 2:15 am

Oh and I don't remember if I said this but youtube has some posts on this method as well. (I love youtube!)
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down