CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combs for Detangling

+10
curlybarbi48
Pinkpearls
Priss Pot
transitioning?
raina
traveljunkie08
Niqui36
dyamonds10
Gado-Gado Gal
14 posters

Go down

Combs for Detangling Empty Combs for Detangling

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 22nd July 2010, 2:07 am

A wide-toothed comb is such an easy item to find (and for as little as a couple of dollars, too), that I've never really given it as much thought as my 'potions' or hair accessories. But it is probably the most important item I have in my haircare routine - conditioners can be replaced by other ones, but nothing replaces a detangling comb (fingers don't work for me!).

All this said, the comb I've had for a couple of years (Cricket Ultraclean Big Time Comb, travel size) has started peeling. The small size and handle groove have made it the most comfortable-to-hold comb I've had, but the peeling plastic has been snagging on and pulling my hair. Not good. I want to buy a new comb that will last a long time (I hate throwing things away), is comfortable to hold, and of course has widely-spaced teeth.

Nikki has praised the Ouidad Double Detangler. There are sooo many to choose from. What is your favorite comb? What comb would you never buy again? Please help a girl out! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Gado-Gado Gal on 22nd July 2010, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Combs for Detangling Empty Re: Combs for Detangling

Post by dyamonds10 22nd July 2010, 6:58 pm

goody shower comb is awesome! I've had it for a couple of years Smile
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 22nd July 2010, 7:43 pm

dyamonds10 - There are so many Goody combs. Do you use the Goody Ouchless? See here: http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/03/26/goody-ouchless-shower-comb_814909_raw.jpg The Ouchless looks like the same dull (non-shiny) plastic of the Cricket comb I have that is peeling and snagging on my hair. Any signs of that? Thanks, girl.

Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 23rd July 2010, 12:12 pm

I use a cheap, black, wide-tooth comb (from Sally's) and a knock-off Denman made by Conair (from CVS) to detangle. First, I finger-comb, then I use the wide-tooth comb to detangle more efficiently, and then I finish with the Denman knock-off to remove the shed hair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 23rd July 2010, 1:05 pm

I've used the Goody ouchless comb thats in the picture. I loved it, but it did break on me. I have to double detangler by Ouidad and its a keeper too.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd July 2010, 2:34 pm

I have the Jilbere detangling comb (looks like the pastel pink one in your pic with the hook handle) and the Goody Ouchless one. I definitely prefer the Jilbere. It feels a lot smoother going through my hair. With the Goody Ouchless, I feel like there's too much tugging and pulling on my hair...it doesn't glide that well. I believe the Jilbere comb is less than $2. It's held up very well in the year that I've had it.

Hope that helps!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 23rd July 2010, 9:29 pm

I agree with traveljunkie I have had my jilbere comb for 3 yrs. Its smooth and doesnt pull my hair.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 26th July 2010, 1:21 am

I'm in love with the Ouidad double comb. I'm in my 7month of transitioning. I started using the comb two months ago and my detangling time went from 30min to 10min. Once a section is detangled it stays that way and doesn't pull out my hair.
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 28th July 2010, 9:57 am

Thanks ladies! I'm going to have to check out the Jilbere and the Ouidad combs!

For combs to avoid:
- Goody Ouchless Detangling Comb - Until Niqui36 mentioned it, I'd forgotten I'd had this comb because I only had it for a couple of days before it broke in my hair! You can see in the photo (linked above) that the teeth are attached to a thin strip rather than the main part of the comb. It think this was meant to provide more "give" but instead it just makes the comb weak when used with thick hair. Booooo.
- Cricket Ultraclean Big Time Comb - I've enjoyed this comb for the reasons mentioned before, but the PEELING is a huge disappointment. Maybe I've had this longer than I'm remembering, but the outer layer peeling off a comb is bad, especially when plastic can last forever. But then it's snagging on my hair. Very bad.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Priss Pot 6th August 2010, 3:38 pm

I use the Ouidad Double Detangler, and I love it!
Priss Pot
Priss Pot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 9th August 2010, 12:57 am

Ouidad Double Detangler is the best!
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 9th August 2010, 8:04 pm

I use a plain old, cheap wide tooth comb, but as my hair grows, the tangles are getting harder to manage. I'm going to have to find a good comb for detangling. I'm thinking about getting the Quidad double detangler, but don't know if I want to invest $24 in a comb. I still can't find a Denman Brush, other than a cheap one that rips my hair out from the roots! I will be following this thread before my next purchase.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 10th August 2010, 12:12 pm

I like the Magic Star Jumbo Rake...its really huge and REALLY wide tooth ..wish i had a pic but i dont...i paid i think 20-24 for it but i LUV it and use it in conjunction with just finger combing
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 11th August 2010, 4:37 am

Hrm, more votes for Ouidad Double Detaingler, even though it is so expensive...that's O.D.D. Hahaha! Ok. Stupid jokes make me laugh.

@BeautifullyFree, The Jumbo Rake looks awesome! Found it here and it's a tad cheaper than the ODD: http://www.hotcombs.net/products/Magic-Star-Jumbo-Rake.html They also have a set of 2 (mini & regular) for $27: http://www.hotcombs.net/products/Magic-Star-Rake-Set.html
I've never had a comb with teeth that long; I wonder if long teeth work better for longer hair. I might have to be a major PJ and buy this and the O.D.D....
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by one.tru.luv 14th October 2010, 2:41 am

I will never purchase another comb from hairsense.com They are not hair worthy and she has horrible customer service!
one.tru.luv
one.tru.luv

http://members.fotki.com/da1trulve/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th October 2010, 7:54 am

Sally's Tortoise Detangling Comb.. Best I've had so far.. But I haven't tried this Quidad that everyone is raving about..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 14th October 2010, 9:55 am

I rarely have a lot of tangles (DCing on dry hair, washing my hair in sections and minimizing the time that I wear it out have helped tremendously)and when I do I use my fingers. I have the Conair comb that has two rows of teeth like the Ouidad and when I used it, I loved it. It did not snag and the handle was comfortable to hold. It was $3-4 at K-Mart. I have also seen it at Walmart.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down