CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask oooop2

+29
Pi*Jay
NikG20
wyldhoney
TriniCherryPrincess
DvaAuNaturel
carfi366
WildOnce
ladybug
BeautifullyImpurfekt
Juices-n-Berries
sweetdrk1
svrbrownsuga
NhappyJackie
Mrsafro
Lynnieluve
Dorian
Intelligentbeauty
Hollis
Phoenix
Offandrunning
Ziggs
tiashaunteé
yokiedokie
quake_19
dajewel
oooop2
AfrikanLatina
nmoultry
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask oooop2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Ask oooop2

Post by svrbrownsuga 21st March 2010, 2:59 pm

Oooop I just have to let you know that you are inspiration and you are doing a great job with your hair Very Happy..I too am 4a and I have been natural for 3 1/2 years. I am still learning about proper hair care and it is great to see that Nikki chosed a wonderful woman to be the 4a group "ask how" woman Very Happy happy healthy hair growing

Nikki
svrbrownsuga
svrbrownsuga

http://www.fotki.com/svrbrownsuga

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 21st March 2010, 4:44 pm

NhappyJackie wrote:
NhappyJackie wrote:Hi ooop, I'm not totally new, but close enough. I just recently did some twist in my hair that are worthy of being worn out of the house. Today is day 5 and the frizz factor is setting in. When I twisted my hair I used a mix of gels (ORS twist & lock {gives soft hold} IC Fantasia {gives stiff hold} and Aloe Vera gel {moisturizing properties}) and I mixed the gels with my sheabutter mix. I applied a small amount to each twist and twisted on damp hair. I was hoping they would last me 2wks since it took a total of 6hrs to do, but it doesn't look that way. Here are my questions:
1. If I attempt to wear a twist out for wk, am I set up for a frizz fest?
2. Is there something I can do differently to prevent to frizz better?

What made you decide to use these particular products in combination w/ each other? Did you have any leave-in condish on your hair prior to adding the gel mixes?

I have type 4a/4b hair that frizzes easily. If I just use my shea mix, my twist will start looking frizzy about day 3. But the frizz doesn't bother me b/c it provides my hair w/more volume.

Lately, I've been wearing a lot of twistouts and noticed less frizz doing the following:

1. Place dry hair into about 12-15 large twist.
2. Dampen hair in shower.
3. Apply cheap condish to 1 twist at a time and massage into hair. Removing loose strands. Retwist w/out rinsing. Do this until all of the twist have condish.
4. Untwist 1 twist at a time, and in a downway motion under water, remove the condish and retwist. Do this until all the condish is removed and hair is retwisted.
5. I then add small amt of shampoo to my hands and massage it into my scalp. I've been using Moroccanoil Shampoo and Condish. With hair still twisted, I remove the poo. I then apply a good amt the condish t/o my twist and scalp and let it sit for about 5min. I then rinse w/hair still in twist.
6. I then squeeze out the excess water.
7. 1 twist at a time (I divide it in half), I add Giovanni leave in condish, followed by my shea mix. I then use a wide tooth comb, followed by a small tooth comb to comb thru my hair. Found that this really removes all of my loose strands and leave my hair feeling unmatted.
8. After using the small tooth, I apply ORS Twist n Loc gel to each section and retwist. I follow steps 7 and 8 until all hair is retwisted.
9. I let my hair air dry (normally do overnight). Then in the morning, I untwist. My avatar is the results.
10. At night, I loosely cover w/ a silk scarf. And in the morning, I just shake and go. That look will last me about 4-5 days w/out any additional products being added. I think the combination of mix that I use leaves my hair properly moisturized and seals, hence why no additional products need to be added. It's also important to keep your hands out of your hair once it's untwisted. Messing w/ your hair all the time will lead to a frizzy look.

Oh, my daily maintenance:
Morning: spritz with rose water and apply oil mix all over
Night: apply oil mix (last night I let the steam from the shower give a little moisture then applied oil mix, but I still got the same results)

Twistouts and water/liquid = INSTANT frizz. Hence why I try to really moisturize my hair during the twisting process.

I can provide pics if it would help. Thanks in advance

Response in red.

Thanks for your response. I used SheaMoisture Leave-in then applied my gel mixture. I used it because each of them give a different hold and the aloe gel and shea for moisture. I wanted to see what kind of hold they would yeild together. Maybe it wasn't a good combination. Right now I only have about 3-4inches of hair, so with your steps I may be able to eliminate the twist while conditioning. I'll try your method when I do my touch-up.

Thanks.

Yeah..Let me know how it turns out.

svrbrownsuga wrote:Oooop I just have to let you know that you are inspiration and you are doing a great job with your hair Very Happy..I too am 4a and I have been natural for 3 1/2 years. I am still learning about proper hair care and it is great to see that Nikki chosed a wonderful woman to be the 4a group "ask how" woman Very Happy happy healthy hair growing

Nikki

So sweet. Thanks for the kind words. Glad I can help. Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd March 2010, 3:02 pm

I LOVE that new Avatar!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 24th March 2010, 10:37 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I LOVE that new Avatar!!

Thanks Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 25th March 2010, 3:17 am

Hey again,
I have another question for you Smile

Since my BC on March 2nd, I am loving my hair. However, I am noticing my ends are shabby in my twist outs. They are not split or damaged in any way, just shabby looking. When I do wash n gos they do not look like that. So I am not sure if this is just the way my hair is, or the way natural hair is. I know about the baggy method. But I love to do double strand flat twists, so that method would not help me. What do you suggest?

Also, I want to add that I have 2 different textures in my hair. Even though all the ends, imo, look shabby. The back texture is more shabby looking than the front.

THANKS IN ADVANCE (TIA)
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 25th March 2010, 11:21 am

Hey Oooop2, Just wanted to let you know that I did redo my twists and used fewer products this time. This time I use Cantu Sheabutter leave-in, sealed with my oil mix, then applied using my sheabutter mix and just aloe jelly. (the Cantu gives me a lot of shrinkage so I was hoping it would cut down on the frizz). Well, it is day 6 and frizz in just now setting it. It is more noticable if I run my hands through the twist in the opposite direction of the twist. But, considering it being my second set of twists, I'm satisfied.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 25th March 2010, 11:51 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hey again,
I have another question for you Smile

Since my BC on March 2nd, I am loving my hair. However, I am noticing my ends are shabby in my twist outs. They are not split or damaged in any way, just shabby looking. When I do wash n gos they do not look like that. So I am not sure if this is just the way my hair is, or the way natural hair is. I know about the baggy method. But I love to do double strand flat twists, so that method would not help me. What do you suggest?

Also, I want to add that I have 2 different textures in my hair. Even though all the ends, imo, look shabby. The back texture is more shabby looking than the front.

THANKS IN ADVANCE (TIA)

When you did your BC, did you remove all of your permed ends? From looking at your pic in your avatar, your ends appear a bit straight. Sometimes it's hard to get a defined curly pattern, is your ends are still somewhat straight. If that is not the case, are you twisting on wet/damp/dry hair? Sometimes twisting on dry hair elongates the hair, but IMO leaves the hair less defined. Hence why I also twist on damp hair. Are you twirling the ends in your fingers after you are done twisting? If not, try that. This will help the ends to curl up.

HTHs....

NhappyJackie wrote:Hey Oooop2, Just wanted to let you know that I did redo my twists and used fewer products this time. This time I use Cantu Sheabutter leave-in, sealed with my oil mix, then applied using my sheabutter mix and just aloe jelly. (the Cantu gives me a lot of shrinkage so I was hoping it would cut down on the frizz). Well, it is day 6 and frizz in just now setting it. It is more noticable if I run my hands through the twist in the opposite direction of the twist. But, considering it being my second set of twists, I'm satisfied.

Glad you found some products that work for you. That's the most important thing Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 26th March 2010, 12:10 am

Yes I twist on wet hair, not dry. I also twist with fingers when done. I believe I did get all the permed ends. But truthfully I may see one here or there. But when I do my wash n gos the hair curls. I did a baggy method today for like 7 hrs just to the ends and retwisted. So I will see if it's a moisture issue or something else. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th March 2010, 3:15 am

OK so I did the moisture of ends for 7 hours. It seemed to have helped but I may have to enlist my DH again to give me a 1/2 inch trim. Because I still see relaxed ends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I will trim around my 3rd month. Is that ok, you think?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 1st April 2010, 1:34 am

Yeah...I think it might be the permed ends that causing your twist to not look as defined.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st April 2010, 5:07 am

Do you use any indian powders as treatments in your hair? If so, which ones?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 7th April 2010, 10:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is my henna stash. I mostly use a brand I pruchased while living in Japan. I used to henna every 2wks, but found it too drying. So now I do it once every 6-8wks. So as you can tell, my stash is going to last me a LONG TIME!!!
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th April 2010, 10:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] @ that henna stash!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 3:19 pm

I had to come tell you I love that Avatar..how precious!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 7th April 2010, 3:39 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] @ that henna stash!

Ditto! I'm speechless
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 7th April 2010, 11:23 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] @ that henna stash!

LOL...Yeah that's what happens when you find great quality henna for $1. You tend to go OVERBOARD!!

sweetdrk1 wrote:I had to come tell you I love that Avatar..how precious!

Thank you....I was trying to teach her how to pucker up Smile

tiashauntee wrote:

Ditto! I'm speechless

LOL...Yeah, it's INSANE... Shocked
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 8th April 2010, 3:26 am

wow, now that is a henna stash. Is henna the only Indian powder you use?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th April 2010, 7:42 am

That is an awesome fro you have there. Is that current?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 19th April 2010, 12:40 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:That is an awesome fro you have there. Is that current?

Hey thanks...Yep, that's my current fro. It actually extends further than when is shown, but I got tired of picking it out.

BTW, sometimes I washing my hair w/ the alma powders and use alma oil on my scalp.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 19th April 2010, 3:05 pm

oooop2 wrote:

Hey thanks...Yep, that's my current fro. It actually extends further than when is shown, but I got tired of picking it out.

BTW, sometimes I washing my hair w/ the alma powders and use alma oil on my scalp.

WOW, one day I will get there too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes I love amla powder also. I use it as a paste. Then DC afterwards
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th April 2010, 11:53 pm

That fro is the truth!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 11:55 pm

How do you prep your hair to wear an afro?

I want to wear one this weekend and not quite sure how I want to go about getting my hair in fro formation...if that makes any sense.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 20th April 2010, 12:15 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:
oooop2 wrote:

WOW, one day I will get there too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes I love amla powder also. I use it as a paste. Then DC afterwards

Yes..You will definitely get here. I was pleasantly surprised. I had no clue that my fro was this big...LOL

sweetdrk1 wrote:That fro is the truth!

Thanks Sweet Smile

tiashauntee wrote:How do you prep your hair to wear an afro?

I want to wear one this weekend and not quite sure how I want to go about getting my hair in fro formation...if that makes any sense.

Here is what I did. My approach may not be the best approach for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Untwisted 2 days old large size twist (DRY HAIR). About 10-12 of them.
2. Each section I first hand separated and detangled. I then went through each section w/a large, then small tooth comb to insure that all loose strands were removed and hair detangled. I then retwisted into loose twist.
3. Once entire head was detangled, I untwisted the loose twist and started pulling in an upward/outward/downward motion.
4. I then patted, and formed the fro to the size I wanted.

Next time I do it, I will accessorize with a silk scarf.

Post pics of your fro!!
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th April 2010, 12:23 am

oooop2 wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:How do you prep your hair to wear an afro?

Here is what I did. My approach may not be the best approach for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Untwisted 2 days old large size twist (DRY HAIR). About 10-12 of them.
2. Each section I first hand separated and detangled. I then went through each section w/a large, then small tooth comb to insure that all loose strands were removed and hair detangled. I then retwisted into loose twist.
3. Once entire head was detangled, I untwisted the loose twist and started pulling in an upward/outward/downward motion.
4. I then patted, and formed the fro to the size I wanted.

Next time I do it, I will accessorize with a silk scarf.

Post pics of your fro!!

Thanks! This sounds like it will work. I am going for: http://images110.fotki.com/v569/photos/1/1095049/4762020/490088af833f8-vi.jpg

I will post pics even if is doesn't work
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 20th April 2010, 12:37 am

Cute style...You can definitely achieve that on product applied to damp hair. Just fluff w/hand to not mess up the curls.

Here is my fro puff

And my uncombed fro:

oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next