CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask oooop2

+29
Pi*Jay
NikG20
wyldhoney
TriniCherryPrincess
DvaAuNaturel
carfi366
WildOnce
ladybug
BeautifullyImpurfekt
Juices-n-Berries
sweetdrk1
svrbrownsuga
NhappyJackie
Mrsafro
Lynnieluve
Dorian
Intelligentbeauty
Hollis
Phoenix
Offandrunning
Ziggs
tiashaunteƩ
yokiedokie
quake_19
dajewel
oooop2
AfrikanLatina
nmoultry
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask oooop2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask oooop2

Post by Intelligentbeauty 8th February 2010, 10:57 am

Thanks oooop2
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian 11th February 2010, 9:22 pm

Hey oooop2,

My daughter hair is about 4aor b and dry and frizzy, particularly at the ends. I trimmed/dusted the ends thinking they were damaged. I'm not sure it they are damaged and need to come off or if they just need to be moisturized more/or better. Even when the rest of her her looks decently moisturized those ends look so thirsty. So, I guess my question is how do I distinquish between split ends and dry ends? Btw, since the dust/trim they still look a hot mess. So, I don't if I took enough off or not. Please help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I'm trying to get it to grow and all of this "trimming" isn't making mommy a happy camper. TIA

Dorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian 11th February 2010, 9:27 pm

I tried to check out your fotki, but all of the folders were empty [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BTW, I used the link you provided.

Dorian

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 13th February 2010, 12:08 pm

Dorian wrote:Hey oooop2,

My daughter hair is about 4aor b and dry and frizzy, particularly at the ends. I trimmed/dusted the ends thinking they were damaged. I'm not sure it they are damaged and need to come off or if they just need to be moisturized more/or better. Even when the rest of her her looks decently moisturized those ends look so thirsty. So, I guess my question is how do I distinquish between split ends and dry ends? Btw, since the dust/trim they still look a hot mess. So, I don't if I took enough off or not. Please help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I'm trying to get it to grow and all of this "trimming" isn't making mommy a happy camper. TIA

With the split ends, you can clearly see the separation. How are you styling her hair? Hair that needs moisture needs to be styled in ways that will help retain that moisture. Also, what products are you using? Sometimes the hair is fine, but the products being used aren't right for the hair. Also you have a pic of what your daughters ends look like? Unless she does indeed have split ends, I don't see the need in trimming her ends so often.

Dorian wrote:I tried to check out your fotki, but all of the folders were empty [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BTW, I used the link you provided.

Are you are member of Fotki? If not, that's the reason why you aren't able to view my album.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian 15th February 2010, 8:50 pm

Thanks oooop2 for your reply. I haven't gotten a regimen yet as I am new to this hair journey for myself and two daughters ( with two very different textures of hair). She was in box braids for a couple of months. Now that they are out I'm trying to get a routine going. As for the products, I'm using AOHSR poo and condish, cantu shea butter leave-in, unrefined shea butter, olive oil, castor oil and coconut oil. Any recommendations would be appreciated. She needs a great moisturizer. Sometimes I twist her hair, and sometimes cornrows. The latter syle isn't good for her fragile edges. Once again, I'm up for suggestions.
I don't have pictures of her ends. I have to replace my camera. However, I will examine them to see if I notice any splitting--wish I would have asked your advice before trimming.
BTW, thanks for the tip for viewing your fotki--shows how much I know.
Oh, and your locs are lucious!!!!!!!!!! Hope to be there one day soon.

Dorian

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 22nd February 2010, 1:01 am

Dorian wrote:Thanks oooop2 for your reply. I haven't gotten a regimen yet as I am new to this hair journey for myself and two daughters ( with two very different textures of hair). She was in box braids for a couple of months. Now that they are out I'm trying to get a routine going. As for the products, I'm using AOHSR poo and condish, cantu shea butter leave-in, unrefined shea butter, olive oil, castor oil and coconut oil. Any recommendations would be appreciated. She needs a great moisturizer. Sometimes I twist her hair, and sometimes cornrows. The latter syle isn't good for her fragile edges. Once again, I'm up for suggestions.
I don't have pictures of her ends. I have to replace my camera. However, I will examine them to see if I notice any splitting--wish I would have asked your advice before trimming.
BTW, thanks for the tip for viewing your fotki--shows how much I know.
Oh, and your locs are lucious!!!!!!!!!! Hope to be there one day soon.

Hey...So sorry for the delayed response. I initially read this at work, and totally forgot to respond. I apologize.

Regarding product suggestion, I'm all about simplicity. Too many products, and I think my hair gets weighted down. I hair loves heavy oils since my strands are think. So shea mixed with castor oil are my top picks. I also like coconut/EVOO oils, and I tend to blend them into my shea mix. What does AOHSR stand for? I like Herbal Essence and Aubrey products. I am planning on using Keracare the next time I wash/condition my hair since my kids stylist highly recommended it. My daughter has fragile edges and dry ends. I recently got her hair professionally braided and the stylist told me that I need to start deep conditioning her hair. She also recommended that I use B&B styling grease. I was a bit hesitant, but I have to admit, since using B&B 2x/day on her hair and spritzing with a braiding spray her hair feels so soft to the touch and it has a nice sheen to it. No longer dull looking. Planning on trying Kinky Curly on her hair also to see how it works on her hair. The stylist said also her strands are dry, she did not think that they needed to be cut.

So I say, deep condition, keep her hair in a style that will help maintain the moisture, and keep hair properly moisturized.

HTHs....
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd February 2010, 1:11 am

I totally forgot you were a Curlfriend!!

I asked this question on another thread that you frequent but I will ask here too.....Do you change your shea butter mix during warmer months?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 25th February 2010, 12:22 am

Lynnieluve wrote:I totally forgot you were a Curlfriend!!

I asked this question on another thread that you frequent but I will ask here too.....Do you change your shea butter mix during warmer months?

Hey...Nope, I never change my shea mix. I just apply less during the warmer months. Not trying to be all greasy w/ ring on collar...LOL Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 25th February 2010, 12:25 am

oooop2 wrote:

Hey...Nope, I never change my shea mix. I just apply less during the warmer months. Not trying to be all greasy w/ ring on collar...LOL Smile

Roxie (my hair's name) is loving the mix!!!! It makes my hair so soft and moisturized.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 27th February 2010, 2:26 am

Lynnieluve wrote:
oooop2 wrote:

Roxie (my hair's name) is loving the mix!!!! It makes my hair so soft and moisturized.

LOL...I love it...I need to name my hair. Glad Roxie loves the mix Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 27th February 2010, 11:34 am

Hi oooop2....

I'm a newbie with mostly 4a/b textured hair. I've been askin questions on various threads about different things to use on my hair. I'm still in the TWA phase but I still think my hair suffers from dryness because it sounds slightly crunchy (I know it's a weird way to put it).

My routine

Co-wash with herbal essences hello hydration (2-3 days)
Shampoo twice a month
Henna every (10-14days) depending on my study schedule
DC once a week - mixture of olive oil, tea tree oil and sometimes jojoba oil
Or add oilve oil to Aussies moist conditioner
Pure shea butter and jojoba oil to seal and moisturize my hair

I like to keep things simple.. I am sensitive to many things and don't want to irritate my skin with soo many products. But I still thin that I am going wrong somewhere.

Could u reccommend any products or recipies that I could probably use to retain moisture and tame my frizzy ends?

I kno patience is the key to healthy hair and just by viewing your pics I know I need to have that.

Thanks x

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 1st March 2010, 12:03 am

Mrsafro wrote:Hi oooop2....

I'm a newbie with mostly 4a/b textured hair. I've been askin questions on various threads about different things to use on my hair. I'm still in the TWA phase but I still think my hair suffers from dryness because it sounds slightly crunchy (I know it's a weird way to put it).

My routine

Co-wash with herbal essences hello hydration (2-3 days)
Shampoo twice a month
Henna every (10-14days) depending on my study schedule
DC once a week - mixture of olive oil, tea tree oil and sometimes jojoba oil
Or add oilve oil to Aussies moist conditioner
Pure shea butter and jojoba oil to seal and moisturize my hair

I like to keep things simple.. I am sensitive to many things and don't want to irritate my skin with soo many products. But I still thin that I am going wrong somewhere.

Could u reccommend any products or recipies that I could probably use to retain moisture and tame my frizzy ends?

I kno patience is the key to healthy hair and just by viewing your pics I know I need to have that.

Thanks x

I think your dryness may be attributed to how frequently you use henna. Some people can really get away with using it so frequently, but other can't. I used to henna my hair every 14days and a gloss every 7. After about 4-6wks, my hair felt so dry and brittle. Everything in my regime stayed the same except for my increased use of henna. Stopped using it for about 3m and my hair got back on track. Now I henna oncec every 6-8wks and that's perfect.

Regarding commerical produts, I love Qhemet Biologics products. My hair tends to like THICK creams that don't leave my hair feeling weighed down/greasy. Their Olive Cream is my fav. For homemade products, I love my shea mix wish is a blend of shea, EVOO, coconut oil, and castor oil that I whip together. After I wash, I apply Giovanni leave-in, then my shea mix and twist. Lately, I've been also using ORS Twist and Loc along with my mix to twist my hair. My hair tends to feel soft and moist for days. As a spritz, I use a herbal mix of sage and rosemary.

Patience is definitely key, but also learning what your hair does/doesn't like makes a world of difference.

HTHs Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 6th March 2010, 10:52 am

Hi Oooop2,

Sorry for the late reply, I might jus stop using the henna for a while!
I cant get the Qhemet products where I live but i willl try and find something similar.... Ive also added a spritz to my regime which is actually preventing the dryness lol ..

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 6th March 2010, 6:08 pm

Mrsafro wrote:Hi Oooop2,

Sorry for the late reply, I might jus stop using the henna for a while!
I cant get the Qhemet products where I live but i willl try and find something similar.... Ive also added a spritz to my regime which is actually preventing the dryness lol ..

They don't ship internationally? If not, do you know anyone in the USA that would ship it to you? When I lived in Japan, I often had people that I talked to frequently on the hair boards ship stuff to me. Was a definite lifesaver.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 7th March 2010, 9:19 am

Hello,
Do you ever do WnGs? How do you do them? How often? And what products do you use?

Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 8th March 2010, 1:19 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hello,
Do you ever do WnGs? How do you do them? How often? And what products do you use?

Hardly ever. I used do them a lot, but I was making my bands too tights and started noticing thinning along my edges. And my hair tangles so easily, that it is a royal pain after.

But when I feel the urge, I normally cowash w/ HE. I tend to only remove some of the condish and squeeze out the excess water. I then apply my shea butter mix, and some ECO gel to hair and place in a ponytail. If really lazy, I place a silk scarf along my edges and wear loose. But I never wear a WnG for longer than 1 day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 8th March 2010, 2:50 am

Thank you.
But here is another question. What do you use to moisturize your scalp? What is your whipped shea mix that Lynn keeps talking about?
When you hair was shorter, how did you apply product in it? You couldn't do twists, so what did you do?
I recently BC and I have about 5-6 inches all the way around, the crown being the 6 inches. The curks are more coil like and tight. When I apply and rinse out product I find myself pulling my hair. Is that correct?

Also what products do you find elongated your curls?
Also how did you apply the products for the WnGs?
Thanks again.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 10th March 2010, 12:45 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Thank you.
But here is another question. What do you use to moisturize your scalp? What is your whipped shea mix that Lynn keeps talking about?
When you hair was shorter, how did you apply product in it? You couldn't do twists, so what did you do?
I recently BC and I have about 5-6 inches all the way around, the crown being the 6 inches. The curks are more coil like and tight. When I apply and rinse out product I find myself pulling my hair. Is that correct?

Also what products do you find elongated your curls?
Also how did you apply the products for the WnGs?
Thanks again.

To moisturize my scalp, on damp hair I typically apply my shea mix:

My approx mix is:

3 TBSP Unrefined Shea Butter (softened...NOT melted)
1 TBSP coconut oil. I don't melt, but just scrap and add to butter.
1 TBSP castor oil
1 TBSP EVOO

I used the tip of a pointed comb to whip it together. Store in a container and place in a cool area.

When my hair was shorter, I just applied hair grease to my dry hair. I didn't discover the hair boards until I was at SL. When my hair was shorter, I wore a lot of coils. Looking back at old pics (in my FOTKI album), they looked TERRIBLE b/c I didn't know what I was doing. But that was my main style until I had enough length to twist.

I have shrinkage out of this world, so I am always pulling on my hair for some length..LOL

I've just started using the ORS Twist n Loc gel on my twist. That seems to help elongate them.

For my WnG...On WET hair I apply my leave in. Then I apply my shea mix and just massage it through hair and scalp. I then add my ECO gel and then start pulling my hair to form a ponytail. If wearing it loose, follow the same steps then add a headband to the front.

HTHs...
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th March 2010, 3:34 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I AM SO INTIMIDATED BY THE WnGS AND IT'S UNPREDICTABILITY. I WILL TRY IT SOMEDAY SOON. I GUESS I AM JUST NOT COMFORTABLE WITH MY HAIR YET TO LEAVE IT WITH OUT A MANIPULATED, SOMEHWAT KNOW THE OUTCOME STYLE.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

wHAT TYPE OF ECOSTYLER GEL DO YOU USE? I HAVE HEARD THERE ARE MANY TYPES.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 11th March 2010, 12:16 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:THANK YOU SO MUCH. I AM SO INTIMIDATED BY THE WnGS AND IT'S UNPREDICTABILITY. I WILL TRY IT SOMEDAY SOON. I GUESS I AM JUST NOT COMFORTABLE WITH MY HAIR YET TO LEAVE IT WITH OUT A MANIPULATED, SOMEHWAT KNOW THE OUTCOME STYLE.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

wHAT TYPE OF ECOSTYLER GEL DO YOU USE? I HAVE HEARD THERE ARE MANY TYPES.

LOL...I can relate. I've just started being comfortable wearing a combed out fro. And even still, I feel like all eyes are on me with my big hair..LOL

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlproducts/view/4495/Eco-Styler-Krystal-Styling-Gel

This is the gel I use.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 12th March 2010, 4:00 pm

Thanks, but that gel has protein and my hair is sensitive to that.

Love your new avatar, btw.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 17th March 2010, 1:37 pm

Hi ooop, I'm not totally new, but close enough. I just recently did some twist in my hair that are worthy of being worn out of the house. Today is day 5 and the frizz factor is setting in. When I twisted my hair I used a mix of gels (ORS twist & lock {gives soft hold} IC Fantasia {gives stiff hold} and Aloe Vera gel {moisturizing properties}) and I mixed the gels with my sheabutter mix. I applied a small amount to each twist and twisted on damp hair. I was hoping they would last me 2wks since it took a total of 6hrs to do, but it doesn't look that way. Here are my questions:
1. If I attempt to wear a twist out for wk, am I set up for a frizz fest?
2. Is there something I can do differently to prevent to frizz better?

Oh, my daily maintenance:
Morning: spritz with rose water and apply oil mix all over
Night: apply oil mix (last night I let the steam from the shower give a little moisture then applied oil mix, but I still got the same results)

I can provide pics if it would help. Thanks in advance
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th March 2010, 6:04 pm

Hey Oooop2,

I just had to come and share the results of my recent twist out using "OUR" shea butter mix....LOL!!! I actually use the shea butter mix and seal with Pooka Hair Nectar. Here are the results...

I am loving Roxie right now and she is showing me love back. I always hear from veteran curlies to keep it simple but as a newbie, you always get caught up in the hype of purchasing new products (I have an order on they way now....still working on that). I find that when I keep it simple and use natural products, I get the best results. Thanks again.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 18th March 2010, 11:56 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Thanks, but that gel has protein and my hair is sensitive to that.

Love your new avatar, btw.

Can you use ORS twist n loc gel? How does your hair feel after using products w/ protein?

NhappyJackie wrote:Hi ooop, I'm not totally new, but close enough. I just recently did some twist in my hair that are worthy of being worn out of the house. Today is day 5 and the frizz factor is setting in. When I twisted my hair I used a mix of gels (ORS twist & lock {gives soft hold} IC Fantasia {gives stiff hold} and Aloe Vera gel {moisturizing properties}) and I mixed the gels with my sheabutter mix. I applied a small amount to each twist and twisted on damp hair. I was hoping they would last me 2wks since it took a total of 6hrs to do, but it doesn't look that way. Here are my questions:

What made you decide to use these particular products in combination w/ each other? Did you have any leave-in condish on your hair prior to adding the gel mixes?

I have type 4a/4b hair that frizzes easily. If I just use my shea mix, my twist will start looking frizzy about day 3. But the frizz doesn't bother me b/c it provides my hair w/more volume.

Lately, I've been wearing a lot of twistouts and noticed less frizz doing the following:

1. Place dry hair into about 12-15 large twist.
2. Dampen hair in shower.
3. Apply cheap condish to 1 twist at a time and massage into hair. Removing loose strands. Retwist w/out rinsing. Do this until all of the twist have condish.
4. Untwist 1 twist at a time, and in a downway motion under water, remove the condish and retwist. Do this until all the condish is removed and hair is retwisted.
5. I then add small amt of shampoo to my hands and massage it into my scalp. I've been using Moroccanoil Shampoo and Condish. With hair still twisted, I remove the poo. I then apply a good amt the condish t/o my twist and scalp and let it sit for about 5min. I then rinse w/hair still in twist.
6. I then squeeze out the excess water.
7. 1 twist at a time (I divide it in half), I add Giovanni leave in condish, followed by my shea mix. I then use a wide tooth comb, followed by a small tooth comb to comb thru my hair. Found that this really removes all of my loose strands and leave my hair feeling unmatted.
8. After using the small tooth, I apply ORS Twist n Loc gel to each section and retwist. I follow steps 7 and 8 until all hair is retwisted.
9. I let my hair air dry (normally do overnight). Then in the morning, I untwist. My avatar is the results.
10. At night, I loosely cover w/ a silk scarf. And in the morning, I just shake and go. That look will last me about 4-5 days w/out any additional products being added. I think the combination of mix that I use leaves my hair properly moisturized and seals, hence why no additional products need to be added. It's also important to keep your hands out of your hair once it's untwisted. Messing w/ your hair all the time will lead to a frizzy look.

Night: apply oil mix (last night I let the steam from the shower give a little moisture then applied oil mix, but I still got the same results)

Twistouts and water/liquid = INSTANT frizz. Hence why I try to really moisturize my hair during the twisting process.

Response in red.

Lynnieluve wrote:Hey Oooop2,

I just had to come and share the results of my recent twist out using "OUR" shea butter mix....LOL!!! I actually use the shea butter mix and seal with Pooka Hair Nectar. Here are the results...

I am loving Roxie right now and she is showing me love back. I always hear from veteran curlies to keep it simple but as a newbie, you always get caught up in the hype of purchasing new products (I have an order on they way now....still working on that). I find that when I keep it simple and use natural products, I get the best results. Thanks again.

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! Glad to know that Roxie is enjoying my mix. Your hair looks fabulous and it's definitely growing. And I am so into keeping it simple Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 19th March 2010, 12:17 pm

NhappyJackie wrote:Hi ooop, I'm not totally new, but close enough. I just recently did some twist in my hair that are worthy of being worn out of the house. Today is day 5 and the frizz factor is setting in. When I twisted my hair I used a mix of gels (ORS twist & lock {gives soft hold} IC Fantasia {gives stiff hold} and Aloe Vera gel {moisturizing properties}) and I mixed the gels with my sheabutter mix. I applied a small amount to each twist and twisted on damp hair. I was hoping they would last me 2wks since it took a total of 6hrs to do, but it doesn't look that way. Here are my questions:

What made you decide to use these particular products in combination w/ each other? Did you have any leave-in condish on your hair prior to adding the gel mixes?

I have type 4a/4b hair that frizzes easily. If I just use my shea mix, my twist will start looking frizzy about day 3. But the frizz doesn't bother me b/c it provides my hair w/more volume.

Lately, I've been wearing a lot of twistouts and noticed less frizz doing the following:

1. Place dry hair into about 12-15 large twist.
2. Dampen hair in shower.
3. Apply cheap condish to 1 twist at a time and massage into hair. Removing loose strands. Retwist w/out rinsing. Do this until all of the twist have condish.
4. Untwist 1 twist at a time, and in a downway motion under water, remove the condish and retwist. Do this until all the condish is removed and hair is retwisted.
5. I then add small amt of shampoo to my hands and massage it into my scalp. I've been using Moroccanoil Shampoo and Condish. With hair still twisted, I remove the poo. I then apply a good amt the condish t/o my twist and scalp and let it sit for about 5min. I then rinse w/hair still in twist.
6. I then squeeze out the excess water.
7. 1 twist at a time (I divide it in half), I add Giovanni leave in condish, followed by my shea mix. I then use a wide tooth comb, followed by a small tooth comb to comb thru my hair. Found that this really removes all of my loose strands and leave my hair feeling unmatted.
8. After using the small tooth, I apply ORS Twist n Loc gel to each section and retwist. I follow steps 7 and 8 until all hair is retwisted.
9. I let my hair air dry (normally do overnight). Then in the morning, I untwist. My avatar is the results.
10. At night, I loosely cover w/ a silk scarf. And in the morning, I just shake and go. That look will last me about 4-5 days w/out any additional products being added. I think the combination of mix that I use leaves my hair properly moisturized and seals, hence why no additional products need to be added. It's also important to keep your hands out of your hair once it's untwisted. Messing w/ your hair all the time will lead to a frizzy look.

Twistouts and water/liquid = INSTANT frizz. Hence why I try to really moisturize my hair during the twisting process.

Response in red.

Thanks for your response. I used SheaMoisture Leave-in then applied my gel mixture. I used it because each of them give a different hold and the aloe gel and shea for moisture. I wanted to see what kind of hold they would yeild together. Maybe it wasn't a good combination. Right now I only have about 3-4inches of hair, so with your steps I may be able to eliminate the twist while conditioning. I'll try your method when I do my touch-up.

Thanks.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next