CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dye Release?

2 posters

Go down

Dye Release?  Empty Dye Release?

Post by BlakButterfli 7th July 2010, 3:38 pm

What exactly is dye release?

I did my first henna on the 4th and as soon as the mix was ready, I slapped it on my head. I'm aiming for color, but don't expect to see any real results until after 3 or 4 treatments.

That being said, do I need to let the henna sit longer to optimize the affect on my color? If so, how long do I need to let it sit?

Thanks ladies - I loved how my hair felt after the henna and plan to keep doing it.

Also, (and I put this in my thread) my hair felt perfectly fine (not dry at all) after my henna. Did I do something wrong? I went ahead and did a DC, but honestly, I could have gone without it. My hair is extremely soft anyway and the henna didn't seem to have an effect on that at all.

Thanks!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Dye Release?  Empty Re: Dye Release?

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 5:58 pm

Dye release means waiting for the dye to form. This chart is a little old, but I use it for general reference.

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/dyerelease.html

I know Curly Nikki doesn't wait for dye release. I cannot say whether or not the results would be different if she waited. Keep in mind, she leaves her henna on overnight with a plastic cap and scarf, so that definitely could make a difference.

Also, if your hair is naturally dark and has not been chemically treated, henna will not change your color. Sorry! I was concerned about dye release because I wanted curl loosening, not because I wanted color. I have done 5 strong henna treatment and my hair is still just as dark as in the pic.

LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th July 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks Little One. My hair is naturally dark, the darkest shade of brown you can get before black. I'm still going to try and change the color with henna, but I may end up getting a gloss at my hair shop.

I may try letting the Henna sit for a little longer next time. I ventured into an Indian grocery store yesterday and saw all KINDS of henna - even one that's supposed to make your hair a reddish color, but I'm too afraid to try it. lol
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 8th July 2010, 3:06 pm

Here's a chart from Mehandi on how to get the color you want. Always let the dye sit on your hair for at least 4 hours. I read that there's no additional benefit after 6 hrs, but I don't know if that's true.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairinstructions2.pdf

Beware of the Indian Grocery store though! Read the back of the package. If the ingredients say anything but henna (and maybe cassia) don't buy it. It's not worth the risk of allergic reaction or hair breakage. Good luck!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down