CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact

4 posters

Go down

Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact Empty Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact

Post by Syrah 22nd June 2010, 4:38 pm

At 29, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'll probably do a couple of different things. One thing is for certain - at some point I want to teach - I haven't decided if this would occur in public schools or through an after-school or summer supplement program.

But one thing is for certain - at some point I'd like to shift my mindset and my focus from myself (and my immediate family) to the greater community and some subset of the community where I think I would be able to take my skills and experience and make an impact.

Have you given some thought to your long term impact (again, beyond your immediate family)? Who do you believe is in most need of YOUR help/guidance/assistance/support?
Syrah
Syrah

Back to top Go down

Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact Empty Re: Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact

Post by goombagirl 22nd June 2010, 5:08 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, lol. This job business is for the birds but I do little things to satisfy my philanthropic cravings. One of my favorite organizations is Kiva (kiva.org). This is an organization that does micro-lending all over the world. I donate $25 out of every paycheck to a start up of my choosing. Your loan is repaid in increments and you can either get your money back or you can roll it into another micro loan. To me, it is the people of developing countries that are in most need of my help; the US has more than enough charities of our own, and I believe what Pres. Obama said: small businesses are the backbone of this country. I believe that is true for other countries as well. We have so much here and IMO it seems like when these disasters happen and even when it comes to the loans made to other countries this "trickle down" method just doesn't work. The resources get caught up in so much red tape that it's hard to get them to the people who need it most. With Kiva the money goes directly to the people to help them become self sufficient and the money isn't tied up in administrative fees (like some assistance organizations that shall remain unmentioned here). I truly believe the best help starts at the grassroots level and that's why I'm such an avocate for Kiva. It's like that old Chinese proverb:"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand". It's not enough for us to talk, we must become involved in order to cause real change.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact Empty Re: Giving Back - Your Long Term Impact

Post by Curly_Aquarius 22nd June 2010, 5:23 pm

Well I want to teach special education and at some point get a nail tech license and donate my time to giving women manicures and pedicure for free and acrylic nails for 2.50 for a full set. One of the women I went to school with along time ago was in a women shelter and told me her biggest fear about interviewing is that her nails were jacked up! They have hair stylist that do the hair charity thing but not a nail tech. Hopefully I can do this sooner than later. If not that idea, I want to start a child care for children with Autism S.D. In childcare those children are shunned because no one understands the behaviors they have, I feel this is so sad and since I like working with special needs it would be where I most fit.
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 23rd June 2010, 10:35 am

I have always wanted to give back in some sort of way. Ever since I was a youngster, education has always been highly important to me. I knew that I either wanted to be a teacher or someone who works deeply into education. I see soooooo many smart and intelligent children waste away their goods and not go to college or even finish high school.
I want to one day start up some sort of program for high school aged students wo want to go to college or maybe not and just help them prepare for the real world. I look back in my days in high school and I didnt see any type of programs that really stressed the importance of a higher education or just skills to help me prepare for the real world. That is a serious goal of mine and hopefully I can one day accomplish it!
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down