CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! I hate my hair right now:(

5 posters

Go down

HELP! I hate my hair right now:( Empty HELP! I hate my hair right now:(

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 15th June 2010, 2:33 pm

Hi ladies! I am new to the forum and I am currently in my 5th month of transition (I think...my last relaxer was either in December 09 or January 2010). I can't remember exactly because at that time I had not intended to purposly start transitioning. Anyway, I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child an decided that this would be the perfect time to go natural which is something I have always wanted to do. I think natural hair is so beautiful and diverse and so healthy looking. I am DETERMINED to go natural [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ! I was planning on transitioning for at least a year while my husband is deployed but the process is turning out to be more frustrating than I thought. I don't want to perm my hair or anything, but I am starting to get really pissed at my hair! I had my hair cut in a short cut (like the rihanna cut) before I started my transition so that was my starting point. Before that I always had long hair so thats what I'm used to dealing with. Now couple that with the fact that I am not a stylist AT ALL! I mean I can't braid, I cant twist, Ive never even rolled my own hair before. I had just recently mastered the art of flat ironing my hair (when it was relaxed) after being relaxed since I was like 9 or 10! So you can imagine what my short transisioning hair looks like...CRAP! I started wearing braids during my transition to help me not look at my hair but honestly I have not been able to get a set of braids to last me more than 4 weeks at a time. So far I have had senegalese twist, kinky twist, tree braids...all of which started to slip out almost immediately! And another thing is that I dnt know what products to use anymore. I was using the olive oil line of products and everything was going fine but now it seems like in my 5th month of transitioning nothing is working for my hair! My hair is a dry, matted mess! I tried switching to more natural products like the Allafia line and using urefined oils and butters but my hair just feels stripped. PLEASE HELP!!!! If you have any product or styling suggestions or just some encouraging words...anything! I dnt know what to do with my hair... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)

Back to top Go down

HELP! I hate my hair right now:( Empty Re: HELP! I hate my hair right now:(

Post by Mom2KurlyT 15th June 2010, 3:37 pm

Don't panic! Go to the curl street journal and see if you can find some with hair similar to yours to get tips on what products you can try. This is a trial and error process, so you're gonna have to try a few things before you find your staple products. You say you can't braid or twist...well...have you tried? Start practicing. Try something on your hair during the weekend or on a day where you won't have to leave the house. Go to youtube and see if you see any styles that you would like to try and just do it. Take baby steps, try a twist out or something basic. Also, post pics so we can see your hair and we can recommend products. Hang in there sis!!
Mom2KurlyT
Mom2KurlyT

http://kurlytspot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 15th June 2010, 4:30 pm

Mom2KurlyT wrote:Don't panic! Go to the curl street journal and see if you can find some with hair similar to yours to get tips on what products you can try. This is a trial and error process, so you're gonna have to try a few things before you find your staple products. You say you can't braid or twist...well...have you tried? Start practicing. Try something on your hair during the weekend or on a day where you won't have to leave the house. Go to youtube and see if you see any styles that you would like to try and just do it. Take baby steps, try a twist out or something basic. Also, post pics so we can see your hair and we can recommend products. Hang in there sis!!

I agree! Anyone can tell you that transitioning and being newly natural is a learning experience! Youtube is a great help to me and I've been braiding and twisting since I was younger so that helps me also. If your extensions keep slipping out, maybe you should try letting someone else braid your hair and re-evaluate the products they are using. I get the best results with my braids/twists extensions when I don't use any product before putting them in (after washing/conditioning my hair). But baby steps is key. I still have not perfected my braid out, but they are plenty of ladies on here that can give you suggestions and youtube is a big help for things like styling as well. And if all else fails, you mention you like long hair so go out and buy a wig or a half wig and rock that until you figure out something else!

Hope this helps!
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by sophisticatedbeauty 20th June 2010, 1:47 am

I totally agree with these ladies everything will be okay. I feel the same way you do, but I know that it is one big process of waiting and being patient to make sure that your hair is cared for. I am in my 3rd going on 4th month of transitioning and I am ready to cut it all off! But I know that it is only a matter of time before I see my natural curls, despite the negativity from some of my family stating, "you need a perm." I say stay strong and remember why you want to transition in the first place. Believe me I can totally understand! But what I do plan on doing is cutting all of the color out of my hair and I know it will be extremely short but it will help with the growing process. And as soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I will do so!
Stay strong!
sophisticatedbeauty
sophisticatedbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 20th June 2010, 5:01 pm

Follow this method to seal moisture in your hair. I did this all through my transition and it kept my new growth very moisturized.

Also, keep it simple. More products, or even more expensive products doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the best results. I found that the cheapie stuff from the drugstore worked great. Mostly I used Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Aussie Moist, or V05 Strawberries n Cream Moisture milks to co-wash (I stopped using shampoo for the most part unless I had a lot of buildup while I was transitioning). Here was the rest of my regimen, I eventually swapped out the Coconut Oil for Castor Oil because I don't think the Coconut Oil was really doing anything for me. I also later added shea butter to my styling or as the third step instead of the cream based moisturizer.

Also, be PATIENT with your hair, you don't want to do some serious damage because you're frustrated. As far as styling, I recommend asking around here for whatever it is specifically you are trying do do and searching YouTube, there are lots of good tutorials out there.

Oh, and NEVER ever ever ever comb your hair dry, make sure it's at least damp, trust me that makes it soooooo much easier to deal with. And try to avoid heat/air dry your hair as much as possible.

HTH!!
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down