CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skin Care for us 30 year olds?

+11
krazy coils
CrissyQ
Gado-Gado Gal
JasLuv
ShortNSassie
MsMalone08
NubieNatty
Silva fox
swoodward
ChrsLvsBks
jewanda
15 posters

Go down

Skin Care for us 30 year olds? Empty Skin Care for us 30 year olds?

Post by jewanda 5th June 2010, 10:02 pm

I'm currently using Proactiv with no improvement to my skin at all. I've used Proactiv before and it worked but this time it's not. Since I turned 30 my skin has been HORRIBLE! Any recommendations?
jewanda
jewanda

Back to top Go down

Skin Care for us 30 year olds? Empty Re: Skin Care for us 30 year olds?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th June 2010, 12:57 am

I experienced changes with my skin in my 30s also. I recently started during the oil cleansing method. There is a thread about it here. I say it is worth a try.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jewanda 6th June 2010, 1:23 pm

Thanks
jewanda
jewanda

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th June 2010, 2:27 am

If things don;t get better, see a dermatologist!

I didn't get acne until my mid 30s and it still drives me crazy! A soft bristle brush helped but glycolic peel pads from Avon really helped me a lot.

Now I use the ones from Dr. Denise. They come in a huge tub that doesn't dry out.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Silva fox 13th June 2010, 10:18 am

I was my face with Nutragena oil free face wash followed by Bio oil on damp face, it works a treat.

Silva fox

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 10:34 am

OMG [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] dont tell me this guys...i have a mere 7 months til i turn 30, EEEK!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by MsMalone08 22nd June 2010, 10:42 pm

My skins changes with the season, so that usually means I have switch back and forth with products. Right I'm using Sensitive Skin/Noxzema(one day) Biore Facial Scrub with a facial brush( you can get them anywhere, Walgreen,Walmart, Sephora etc). I also use Biore Facial Toner and once a week Queen Helen's Mint Julep Mask.
MsMalone08
MsMalone08

http://www.carabellacreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 25th June 2010, 8:29 pm

I use the pure African Black soap to wash my face and my skin has cleared up alot. It even got rid of the black marks that were left from the scarring. You may want to try that if you haven't already. Be sure to use a good moisturizer after.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by JasLuv 10th August 2010, 10:36 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I experienced changes with my skin in my 30s also. I recently started during the oil cleansing method. There is a thread about it here. I say it is worth a try.

I am 33, and I use the OCM, it has helped alot. My skin went crazy when I turned 30, this has really helped. Smile
JasLuv
JasLuv

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 23rd August 2010, 3:26 am

Hi Jewanda,

I turned 35 this year, and I can say 2 things that might be helpful.

First, I went through a skin change in my late 20s, too. My recommendation would be to figure out what may have changed with your body that caused the skin issues. For me I thought only for a bit that my skin worsened just because I had hit a certain age, but after quite a bit of research and trying out things, I really believe my blemishes are caused by candida overgrowth (after taking antibiotics a few times during my 20s), and hormonal (and therefore emotional) fluctuations, all intensified during some stressful life events. I thought back through my routines, cycles, illnesses, and life events (foods regularly consumed, cleansing routine, sicknesses and medications taken, emotional events, hormonal/menstrual fluctuations), as well as when my skin was in a good state or a particularly bad state, and then narrowed down the possible causes for my bad skin. For example, I'd started eating meat again in my late 20s, so I omitted that again (didn't help me skin), and then tried omitting other things. The less sugar and unfermented dairy products I consume, the worse my skin (this links to candida overgrowth). I found that my flare ups often happened during PMS time, so I started taking supplements to help normalize my hormones. I also tailored my face cleansing routine to be seasonal, and add more protection, so that there wasn't possible irritation from lack of moisture or even too much of it. And so on...

I think figuring out the root cause of your skin problems will be much better than trying to find a Holy Grail product. Because if, for example, your blemishes are stress induced, there is no cleanser or lotion that will reduce your stress, right? Dermatologists can be helpful, but they often try to prescribe something (such as antibiotics or creams) which mask the problem rather than getting to the source. If you find a dermatologist to be like that, speaking with a general practitioner who is interested in preventative medicine, or a naturopath if you like, will help you get a better perspective on possible causes.

And second, no worries! Everything else about the 30s has been great! Laughing
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 23rd August 2010, 12:34 pm

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads is all I have to say. I love them. I am 35 and I have not had any acne problems yet, but these dual textured pads work wonders at keep my skin clean and refreshed.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 23rd August 2010, 2:15 pm

The OCM method and African black soap have really helped me with adult acne.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 24th August 2010, 8:45 pm

I've never really had skin issues, until I hit my mid-30s. I know use Arcona products, which I switch up seasonally. The products are fairly expensive, but whenever I've tried to use a different line, my skin breaks out again. So, Arcona it is for me. It's all natural and use fruit extracts (pumpkin, papaya, etc). I also discovered using a facial steamer when I do a weekly facial mask, which works wonders with my skin. My skin actually looks so healthy!
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th August 2010, 11:40 am

I have a facial steamer attachment with my Huetiful steamer. I enjoy it but I like to know what others are out there and what others are using. What kind do you have?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 6th October 2010, 6:27 pm

I actually use Carol's daughter facial wash, and toner. I then use EVCO for moisture. I just began using the Slice of nature shea oil, it comes from East Africa and is supposed to have a ton of benefits. Started using the Argon oil as well at night and very little in the day. I am in my late 30's and it is amazing, especially the oils. If it is an acne issue I would try the argon oil first then the east african shea oil. I use them interchangeably. Hope it helps Very Happy
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 24th October 2010, 1:23 am

Gado-Gado Gal wrote:Hi Jewanda,

I turned 35 this year, and I can say 2 things that might be helpful.

First, I went through a skin change in my late 20s, too. My recommendation would be to figure out what may have changed with your body that caused the skin issues. For me I thought only for a bit that my skin worsened just because I had hit a certain age, but after quite a bit of research and trying out things, I really believe my blemishes are caused by candida overgrowth (after taking antibiotics a few times during my 20s), and hormonal (and therefore emotional) fluctuations, all intensified during some stressful life events. I thought back through my routines, cycles, illnesses, and life events (foods regularly consumed, cleansing routine, sicknesses and medications taken, emotional events, hormonal/menstrual fluctuations), as well as when my skin was in a good state or a particularly bad state, and then narrowed down the possible causes for my bad skin. For example, I'd started eating meat again in my late 20s, so I omitted that again (didn't help me skin), and then tried omitting other things. The less sugar and unfermented dairy products I consume, the worse my skin (this links to candida overgrowth). I found that my flare ups often happened during PMS time, so I started taking supplements to help normalize my hormones. I also tailored my face cleansing routine to be seasonal, and add more protection, so that there wasn't possible irritation from lack of moisture or even too much of it. And so on...

I think figuring out the root cause of your skin problems will be much better than trying to find a Holy Grail product. Because if, for example, your blemishes are stress induced, there is no cleanser or lotion that will reduce your stress, right? Dermatologists can be helpful, but they often try to prescribe something (such as antibiotics or creams) which mask the problem rather than getting to the source. If you find a dermatologist to be like that, speaking with a general practitioner who is interested in preventative medicine, or a naturopath if you like, will help you get a better perspective on possible causes.

And second, no worries! Everything else about the 30s has been great! Laughing

Could you please tell me what supplement you took that balanced your hormones? I am currently under the care of a derm and I am taking a Rx to balance hormones. But truth be told, this is not something that I want to be on FOREVER, regardless of the dose. I'd rather take the natural route for flare-ups. My skin got worse when I started the meds and now I'm hearing. It gets worse b/f getting better but I'm not buying it. If that was the case, I should have just taken another route to begin with Sad
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 25th October 2010, 1:08 am

@hapilycurlee, I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil. The particular brand I use is Nordic Naturals, their Omega Women blend with flaxseed oil.

There are other natural remedies for hormonal fluctuations, such as black cohosh, chasteberry (Vitex), and Siberian ginseng, but you should read up on each of them yourself to see if you have any of the particular symptoms they alleviate. Herbs2000.com has a lot of great information on both individual herbs and individual ailments and symptoms.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 26th October 2010, 10:22 am

hapilycurlee, did you ever get sunburned?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 8th November 2010, 8:51 pm

If you can find a good holistic esthetician "A Natural Difference" has great and gentle products . Along with my own diy face clays and eo's, their acne bar, and acne cream are awesome. I love the cream because it is gentle, moisturizing, but has enough azaleaic acid in it to clear up mild acne. I'm not sure how well it works if you are having more severe problems.

I visited a derm many times, but their products were too drying for my over 30 skin. Also, since my acne was mild I always felt like the beating my skin was taking on the prescription meds was overkill.

I also changed my diet and do a skin tea, and take the Evening primrose oil daily. Great results.

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down