CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is/ was your major in college??

+40
jellybeanOH
palomastewart
curlista
cocoablaque
TexasNat43
Shrinkage
fanmnatirel
gigihaitiancurly
JossBella
skittledittle07
serenesky04
justicenga
Notthecoolmom
LuvMeLuvMyFro
KnottyKinkyMommy
preciouslady
predestined010
Syrah
curlyfro22
hayylee
SoFlyy
nikismiles
natural83
mverde3
DvaAuNaturel
Peachtree
Sebastain13
LadyMika
Karyn
DreamMerchant
krazy coils
Napp_Napp_Cat
Music8192
CrissyQ
goombagirl
luvinlife225
Ebbz
Curly_Aquarius
44 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What is/ was your major in college?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is/ was your major in college??

Post by Syrah 21st June 2010, 8:12 pm

Undergraduate Major: Computer Information Systems and Operations Management
Currently: 1st Year MBA at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business

After this I'm done. 100%.

Right now my goal is to go back into consulting to make enough money to get a wine business off the ground. Eventually I want to go back and teach "economics" and "business" to high school freshman - with the goal of providing motivated inner city students with perspective on the variety of quantitative (math-based) careers out there.

As far as your original question which major to choose - I would choose one that's as broad and applicable to a variety of fields as possible.

And for those high schoolers out there - my advice would be to go to the best school possible (aim HIGH HIGH HIGH). Because opportunities to work in variety of fields has less to do with WHAT you did while you're in school and almost everything to do with WHERE you went to school. Hence why you have Ivy League English majors working in Investment Banking, Consulting, Brand Management and Marketing while lesser tiered math majors are seldom considered for these positions.

Go to the best school possible and focus on degrees that are broad in their application.

Last edited by Syrah on 21st June 2010, 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syrah
Syrah

Back to top Go down

What is/ was your major in college?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is/ was your major in college??

Post by Syrah 21st June 2010, 8:37 pm

* wrote:Information Technology..any others out there Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Me too! The thing I like about IT is that its applicable to anything and everything. Prior to going back to business school I spent 2 years working in consulting for retail companies before moving over to the oil & gas industry.

After b-school I'm hoping to bust into the wine industry (hence the name - Syrah).
Syrah
Syrah

Back to top Go down

Post by predestined010 21st June 2010, 9:54 pm

WOW I feel like I'm an outsider anyhoot first I had decided to Major in Business than switch my mind to Criminal Justice after working in this field for 3 years Iam finally made up my mind and will be starting school and Majoring in Radiology this fall and than proceed with a BA in Health Management.... and who knows if I havent lost my mind by than [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ... I might get a MA... PRAY FOR SISTA!
predestined010
predestined010

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 22nd June 2010, 12:16 am

Syrah wrote:Undergraduate Major: Computer Information Systems and Operations Management
Currently: 1st Year MBA at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business

After this I'm done. 100%.

Right now my goal is to go back into consulting to make enough money to get a wine business off the ground. Eventually I want to go back and teach "economics" and "business" to high school freshman - with the goal of providing motivated inner city students with perspective on the variety of quantitative (math-based) careers out there.

As far as your original question which major to choose - I would choose one that's as broad and applicable to a variety of fields as possible.

And for those high schoolers out there - my advice would be to go to the best school possible (aim HIGH HIGH HIGH). Because opportunities to work in variety of fields has less to do with WHAT you did while you're in school and almost everything to do with WHERE you went to school. Hence why you have Ivy League English majors working in Investment Banking, Consulting, Brand Management and Marketing while lesser tiered math majors are seldom considered for these positions.

Go to the best school possible and focus on degrees that are broad in their application.
Well spoken! Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 22nd June 2010, 12:17 am

predestined010 wrote:WOW I feel like I'm an outsider anyhoot first I had decided to Major in Business than switch my mind to Criminal Justice after working in this field for 3 years Iam finally made up my mind and will be starting school and Majoring in Radiology this fall and than proceed with a BA in Health Management.... and who knows if I havent lost my mind by than [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ... I might get a MA... PRAY FOR SISTA!
Will do! Wink
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 29th June 2010, 11:07 pm

predestined010 wrote:WOW I feel like I'm an outsider anyhoot first I had decided to Major in Business than switch my mind to Criminal Justice after working in this field for 3 years Iam finally made up my mind and will be starting school and Majoring in Radiology this fall and than proceed with a BA in Health Management.... and who knows if I havent lost my mind by than [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ... I might get a MA... PRAY FOR SISTA!

Don't feel bad. I feel you on this. Initially I was going to Major in Biology, then Radiology. Now I'm actually majoring in something that I've been wanting to do so badddd! I went to school for Funeral Service/Embalming and got my AS Degree. Now I'm at UAB majoring in Chemistry with a concentration in Forensics and a minor in Biology! Whew! You talking about I need much prayer. I'm just finishing up my Sophomore year. SO now it's on to the hard fun stuff. I see why Chemistry is a less desired major! Too many difficult courses! I know it will soon pay off in the end though and I'm really looking forward to that.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 13th July 2010, 2:23 pm

2006 Bachelor's in Philosophy and Religion
2007 Master's in Library and Information Science

Now who's gonna help me pay these damn loans?!?!? Evil or Very Mad
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 8:28 pm

I started with Elementary Education switched to Business finished with a B.S. in Criminal Justice and now I am so close to pursuing Nursing. Oh, I also got licensed for VPK, Cosemtology, and CNA throughout the years [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@KnottyKinkyMommy: When you find someone to help pay off those loans let me know because Sally told me that she will not accept either one of my kids as a form of payment.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 14th July 2010, 7:37 pm

Broadcast Journalism
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 14th July 2010, 7:46 pm

I have a BSW (Social Work), an MSW and an MS in Criminal Justice. Half way finished with Ph.D. in Educational Policy Studies (life happened in the middle) I've worked as a School Social Worker doing program development and in the court system. Currently, I'm a Special Education Teacher.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 14th July 2010, 7:57 pm

justicenga wrote:I have a BSW (Social Work), an MSW and an MS in Criminal Justice. Half way finished with Ph.D. in Educational Policy Studies (life happened in the middle) I've worked as a School Social Worker doing program development and in the court system. Currently, I'm a Special Education Teacher.

Wow!! You go girl! You inspire me so much! Right now I'm majoring in mass communications with a concentration in journalism but I would love to possibly get a bachelor's degree in social work. Was the social work program hard or tough?
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 17th July 2010, 5:48 pm

@Napp_Napp_Cat - I wouldn't say the program was hard because it was my passion. Of course we all tend to do well at what we're passionate about.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 17th July 2010, 8:02 pm

okay I understand. I don't want to switch majors because I like mass communications but I might try and get a second bachelor's degree in social work.
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by serenesky04 20th July 2010, 10:22 pm

Majoring in Nursing. Already a lvn. But i would like to get my bachelors degree in nursing, it's just hard to get accepted. I plan to work at a hospital. I kind of like the hospital environment more or a clinic.

serenesky04

Back to top Go down

Post by skittledittle07 21st July 2010, 3:44 pm

I am a senior majoring in Accounting, I plan to go to grad school next year so I can become a CPA

skittledittle07

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 25th July 2010, 2:01 am

B.S. in Psychology and M.A. in Elementary Education. Educational Policy Studies, Counseling, or Administration in the not so near future. Currently teaching Kindergarten. Yes, I teach the little guys. Laughing affraid
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 25th July 2010, 8:57 pm

I feel like a nerd Sad

I'm entering my senior year of undergrad as an environmental engineering major. I eventually want to go to grad school to get an MS in plastic technologies/plastic recycling/ sustainable engineering all combined. I also have a high interest in psychology and counseling but never took any classes for that.. i'm kinda regretting it now tho since i'm almost done with undergrad.
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 12th August 2010, 10:21 pm

What grad school admissions tips would anyone going to grad school now give?
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 18th August 2010, 1:56 am

@gigihaitiancurly.......finally! a fellow engineer...lol (and i am from Haiti...lol).
I'm, loving this thread. SO many smart sistas out there. Makes me proud...sniff sniff...

I did my undergrad in Civil Engineering and going back to school in 2 week to get my Master's in Water Resources Engineering....

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrinkage 19th August 2010, 7:12 pm

B.A in Psychology and Sociology
M.A (soon to be awarded) Clinical Psychology
Currently working on my PhD in Clinical Psychology

@NappNappCat My advice would be to work hard in undergrad. Research schools you are interested in, and not just online, but actually go to those schools and/or make contact with current students/faculty there to really get a feel for it. Grad school is a big commitment both personally and professionally, be sure you are at a place with a good atmosphere in addition to a good reputation.
Shrinkage
Shrinkage

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasNat43 21st August 2010, 6:53 pm

Multidisciplinary- Criminal Justice, Psychology, Christian Counseling.....my senior year begins on Monday Smile
TexasNat43
TexasNat43

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 22nd August 2010, 10:57 am

I'm currently enrolled in college (I'm going to be a sophomore this year), and I'm working on my B.S. in Marketing.

I plan on opening and owning a small business (which will be operated mainly online), making and selling handmade hair, bath, and body products.

I want this business to be the main source of my income, but since it'll be an online business, I'll also most likely work somewhere else on the side to keep myself busy during the day. I don't really care where I work, honestly, as long as I don't hate the job, I don't work with kids, and I get paid properly for my qualifications and the type of work I'm doing.

I don't plan on seeking a degree beyond my B.S.

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoablaque 11th September 2010, 5:06 pm

@Syrah,

I previously too, was a ISOM major. I changed because of how difficult it "became" and how my passion for technology came to be drained out of it. I attend one of Princeton Review's recommended College's so I guess you could say, I'm in a good place. However, I decided to change my major to Human Development and Family Studies and minor in Business, as well as Information Technology. Do you think, with me having an IT MINOR that I would still be eligible for IT positions post grad?
cocoablaque
cocoablaque

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 11th January 2011, 2:26 pm

Now that the fall semester is over, how did everyone do? I ended up doing great and now I'm thinking about double majoring in both mass communications & criminal justice.

Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 17th January 2011, 11:11 pm

I'm a sophomore going into my junior year with a major in International Studies but I'm switching to Sociology with a double minor in psychology and spanish. I plan on getting my masters in social psychology and I don't know what for my doctorate yet. I want to do counseling work and eventually pursue federal work (F.B.I.) doing behavioral analysis.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next