CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ayurveda 101 PART1

+23
dajewel
NaturalTina
naturalchic
KeAnia
CurlyNMixed
Alanija
CrissyQ
tiashaunteé
ChrsLvsBks
libs2001
jasikajohnson
Carolina Natural
envizionj
freckledmom4
krissyc39
newday
carfi366
tickany
darkkinkynlovely
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ayurveda 101 PART1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ayurveda 101 PART1

Post by freckledmom4 9th September 2010, 11:26 pm

I have not used hibiscus powder before, but from what I've read and seen on yt, amla can be mixed with lots of things so I would try it.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 10th September 2010, 8:20 am

freckledmom4 wrote:I have not used hibiscus powder before, but from what I've read and seen on yt, amla can be mixed with lots of things so I would try it.

Thanks...I'm going to do a little more research to make sure I can add the hibiscus and hope to try alma this weekend. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your input!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 10th September 2010, 9:25 am

What a great post! I think I may go to Nashville and buy some things for my birthday this month to go along with the 3m growth challenge. Thanks!!
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th September 2010, 11:48 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
freckledmom4 wrote:I have not used hibiscus powder before, but from what I've read and seen on yt, amla can be mixed with lots of things so I would try it.

Thanks...I'm going to do a little more research to make sure I can add the hibiscus and hope to try alma this weekend. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your input!!

KNH

i just ordered some amla oil from BNB. Tips please.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th September 2010, 12:28 pm

CrissyQ wrote:
KinkyNappyHappy wrote:

KNH

You can add it to your DCs, use it to pre-poo and for oil rinses. I believe it has mineral oil in it so I would not recommend it for using it in hair in final styling phases. In other words, make sure to rinse it out.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th September 2010, 1:09 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
CrissyQ wrote:
KinkyNappyHappy wrote:

KNH

You can add it to your DCs, use it to pre-poo and for oil rinses. I believe it has mineral oil in it so I would not recommend it for using it in hair in final styling phases. In other words, make sure to rinse it out.

yes it does have mineral oil in it, I will be sure to rinse good. Thanks
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 11th September 2010, 10:23 pm

Just ordered some Amla oil and Hesh Maka powder. Hope it works!
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 12th September 2010, 8:50 am

i use the amla (and amla gold) for oil rinses, pre-poo's and in my spritz'z! ive never used it in my condish scratch good idea!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 12th September 2010, 2:25 pm

I ordered the Brahmi-Amla oil. It doesn't have mineral oil in it. Anybody every try that?
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 12th September 2010, 10:06 pm

Hi Ladies a wealth of info. I am waiting for my order to come in but this is my week to henna. I purchased the henna, hisbiscus, and alma powder. I would like to know a good recipe for them. I really would like to have the redder tone in my hair.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 13th September 2010, 12:08 am

Hello ladies, I have found using Ayurvedic products helped my hair completely....I purchased some Brahmi but have not used it yet? any suggestions on what to do with this. I have used Amla, Henna, Shikakai and Vatika.....

oh yeah anyone got suggestions for a shampoo?? I have found regular shampoos to be too drying for my hair...please share your mixes.

Thanks ladies
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 14th September 2010, 4:34 pm

NubieNatty wrote:i use the amla (and amla gold) for oil rinses, pre-poo's and in my spritz'z! ive never used it in my condish scratch good idea!!

What kind of diffrence did you seei n your hair when using amla?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 26th September 2010, 1:31 pm

Hi ALL!!
Apologies for neglecting this thread but I think most everyone found the 'challenge' where a lot of these questions are addressed.
But as far as shampooing you can find many of the powders like shikakai, jaswand and specifically aritha(which main benefit is cleansing) that can be used as a subb for shampooing. I also use my herbal shampoo which is black soap based but also contains brahmi and some other helpful herbs when I do shampoo.
KeAnia, hibiscus powder may not be the best to get the red in our hair. Hibiscus flowers, Cinnamon and Paprika are better options to get deeper reds. Jaswand is a love of my life but mainly for conditioning and smoothing. (woorking on a new herbal spritzer using this powder).
Keep the questions coming...I'm BAAAAACCKKK cheers
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 30th September 2010, 1:29 am

how can i get the amla to be less grainy?? the first time i tried it it looked llike i had dirt in my hair. i mixed it with hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes and when i went to apply it, grain city Sad
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 30th September 2010, 9:26 pm

NaturalTina wrote:how can i get the amla to be less grainy?? the first time i tried it it looked llike i had dirt in my hair. i mixed it with hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes and when i went to apply it, grain city Sad

That's a good question. I used amla yesterday and it felt like I was putting sand in my hair which I thought was strange. I mixed it with water and conditioner. I had been putting a little oil and honey in my mix before which yeilded a smoother paste. I'll have to remember to do that next time and I'll let you know if that helps.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 1st October 2010, 5:43 pm

Finally went to Nashville today to buy my powders. Ready to join the challenge.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 1st October 2010, 5:55 pm

Welcome Alanija! What powders did you buy?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st October 2010, 6:32 pm

NaturalTina wrote:how can i get the amla to be less grainy?? the first time i tried it it looked llike i had dirt in my hair. i mixed it with hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes and when i went to apply it, grain city Sad
What brand of Amla do you use? I use Hesh Amla and it is very finely sifted with the texture of flour. Did you use boiling water or hot tap water? I apply hot tap water from the sink gradually and my mix is smooth. I tried adding conditioner to an Amla, Brahmi and Maka mix, but the smell was funky, but tolerable when mixed with or without conditioner. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 1st October 2010, 7:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I bought some brahmi, amla, shikakai,neem, and aritha powders. Also bought some vatika oil, and amla oil. Wanted to get some henna to do a henna gloss but forgot my list and didn't want to get the worng type. Now I have to read up on what to do with them and which one to use first.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 1st October 2010, 7:16 pm

I have the amla oil and I massage my scalp as well as coat my hair with it, I let it sit for an hour then rinse. i just put some in a spray bottle with water to use on my coils.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 1st October 2010, 7:54 pm

CrissyQ do you always rinse the amla oil out? I'm wearing braids for the next week. Do you think a making a spritz out of the oil would be good for cornrows?
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 1st October 2010, 8:03 pm

Alanija wrote:CrissyQ do you always rinse the amla oil out? I'm wearing braids for the next week. Do you think a making a spritz out of the oil would be good for cornrows?

Yeah I rinsed it out because the one I have has mineral oil in it, and I used quite a bit of it. The spritzed that I am using I am not rinsing because I have coils in my hair now. I think it would work great for cornrows. Does yours have mineral oil in it?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 1st October 2010, 9:27 pm

Yes it does. I guess it can be used as a pre poo or deep condish.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 1st October 2010, 10:47 pm

[quote="Alanija"]Yes it does. I guess it can be used as a pre poo or deep condish.[/quote

Yep, keep me posted on how you like it
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 2nd October 2010, 6:39 pm

Hi All,
it is strange that the Amla powder would be grainy, Hesh generally isn't grainy at all however a quick fix to a grainy powder is to make a 'tea' with it and add it to your mixture as a liquid. You could also try sifting it usung a strainer and a pair of pantyhose (maybe i should say stockings, lol) If anyone is that ambitious I can give details of sifting the powders. Before Jamila was 'in' we used to get henna powders with all kind of stuff in them, lol, had to use this method before making paste for body art because the twigs clog the tips we use. Now mostly all of the hennas (all of the ones I deal with) are sifted so fine you have no need to do it, but I would be happy to share the method if your interested :-)
The tea is probably a lot easier though Laughing
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next