CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lip stick/lip gloss

+13
NubieNatty
Mangos&Bananas
AfrikanLatina
swoodward
tiashaunteƩ
Born2BeMe
Nikcoils
LadyMika
jcanalena79
krazy coils
jlowman1
CrissyQ
17 posters

Go down

Lip stick/lip gloss Empty Lip stick/lip gloss

Post by CrissyQ 26th May 2010, 1:25 pm

I am looking for a really good brand of lip stick/lip gloss. Any suggestions?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Lip stick/lip gloss Empty Re: Lip stick/lip gloss

Post by jlowman1 26th May 2010, 1:55 pm

I use Victoria's Secret lip glosses, mostly "I Want Candy" because it doesn't have shimmer to it. I've heard people claim they were too sticky but I love them.

As far as lipstick, I use MAC's Jubilee. It's a nude shade with a peachy undertone and looks great with my VS lipgloss on top...
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 26th May 2010, 2:37 pm

I like the Sephora brand lipgloss they sell in Sephora since they are not sticky.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 26th May 2010, 3:53 pm

L'Oreal HIP Shinestruck Liquid Lip Color
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 26th May 2010, 4:10 pm

I'm not really a lip stick person (I'm just getting into wearing it), but I DO like the following glosses: CoverGirl Wet Slicks, Kat Von D lip glosses (sold in Sephora--the reds are definitely workable, and there's a plain white shimmer if you want something simple), Sephora brand lip glosses (larger range of color than Kat Von D), and Black Opal (if you want something HEAVY color).

If you're going for staying power, then the Sephora brand or Kat Von D glosses are good. If you're going for price (as in cheapest), do CoverGirl or Black Opal. Hope this helps! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 26th May 2010, 4:14 pm

All of you have been helpful. i will let you know what I get.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 28th May 2010, 6:49 pm

I like Revlon lipstick (well when I got into RED only, very soft moisturizing lipstick and picked up at Target)

My neutral tones are from MAC glosses are from MAC as well and I pair them with a couple of lipliners (chesnut (dark brown) or Vino (A purple/reddish color)
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 29th May 2010, 12:08 am

I love the Buzz Worthy lip gloss by Milani (specifically the Bee Have, which is clear). It has no petroleum/mineral oil/petro-chemicals or silicones, goes on smoothly, and lasts forever. It makes my lips incredibly soft, especially when I put it over a lip balm, and you can find it at Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc. I bought mine at Target for about $4-5. Also, if you happen to lick some of it off, it even tastes sweet and fruity. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 2nd June 2010, 6:35 pm

I'm not a lipstick fan and I hate sticky lip gloss. There are two that I think are awesome: Covergirl Wetslicks fruit spritzers (nice sheer colour) and Express's lip gloss line. I know it's a clothing store, but it has great shine and it isn't the least bit sticky.

Last edited by Born2BeMe on 2nd June 2010, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 2nd June 2010, 6:41 pm

jlowman1 wrote:I use Victoria's Secret lip glosses, mostly "I Want Candy" because it doesn't have shimmer to it. I've heard people claim they were too sticky but I love them.

As far as lipstick, I use MAC's Jubilee. It's a nude shade with a peachy undertone and looks great with my VS lipgloss on top...

Ditto!
It's the first brand I've tried that lasted for hours and did not make my lips peel.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th June 2010, 2:24 am

Stila and Lancome for $$$, Milani for $.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 9th June 2010, 11:09 am

I use Burts Bees Super Shiny Natural Lipgloss. Its not sticky at all(can't stand that, neither can my hunny) which I love. I used to use VS but they were a little on the sticky side for me.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 11th June 2010, 1:01 am

yes! i agree with tia && jlow

-- sticky lip gloss is weird, but vicky secret has the besst. Its so good that I often forget that its sticky. Lol. shimmer and shine all day. && also they have really pleasant fragrances.

what did you end up getting?
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 10:33 am

mmm the joys of lipglosses; covergirl has always been my fav (its one sheer nude color they dont make anymore and im mad about that). MAC's lipglass i keep SOME when i want to splurge, philosophy is in the top running knockin my covergirl out becuz its gives me a slight tint and i get that extra glassy pucker; buxom is good too and i like the tingle...oh and lancome's glosses too but their thick n sticky with good results! i also use those lip smackers when im on the run too!

my sister does the vicky secrets but i can only stick to what i've used above becuz if i venture off n try too much my lips break out [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 27th June 2010, 12:38 am

what brands are good for sensitive skin? are there good ingredients and bad ingredients in lip stick?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th June 2010, 1:40 am

people aren't aware but a lot of lipsticks have lead in them. Even the expensive ones.
I am a big fan of Body Shop products.

what's going on with your lips? Does that area react badly to products? Or is it the area around your mouth?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 27th June 2010, 3:31 pm

body shop products? how do you find them? I mean, are they sold in stores?

I've heard that lots of lip sticks have bad stuff in them, so I haven't worn any in a long time. But now that I have done most of the big chop, I want to start wearing make up. I need somethign besides my hair to let people know that I am a woman! But I don't want to give up bad relaxer chemicals in my hair, just to exchange them for bad chemicals on my mouth.

how can you look at a lip stick and tell if it has lead or other yicky things? I went shopping for lip stick last week and noticed that some tubes did not even come with lists of ingredients....that didn't seem like a good sign to me! so i still don't have any make up.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 8:55 pm

mmm., may need to research that, I am 90% sure that one of the high end lipsticks have lead. If it's red, watch out for lead, I always think.

try www.the body shop. If you see a product that you really like, go online on the company website - you can get ingredients there - or you can request them.

Bare Minerals is supposed to be ok too. I personally love the line..

Last edited by swoodward on 28th June 2010, 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 28th June 2010, 8:59 pm

HappyCurly wrote:body shop products? how do you find them? I mean, are they sold in stores?

I've heard that lots of lip sticks have bad stuff in them, so I haven't worn any in a long time. But now that I have done most of the big chop, I want to start wearing make up. I need somethign besides my hair to let people know that I am a woman! But I don't want to give up bad relaxer chemicals in my hair, just to exchange them for bad chemicals on my mouth.

how can you look at a lip stick and tell if it has lead or other yicky things? I went shopping for lip stick last week and noticed that some tubes did not even come with lists of ingredients....that didn't seem like a good sign to me! so i still don't have any make up.

Body Shop is the name of the store - usually in the mall. Here's the website: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/

In regards to ingredients..most cosmetics companies will put the ingredients on the packaging or on their website. I found that drugstore.com will sometimes list the ingredients for products.

I usually google all the ingredients that are hard to pronounce or look un-natural to see what they are made of. I have thrown away so much makeup (some un-opened) because I didn't like the ingredients.

HTH,
ElleX
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:36 pm

good idea - and don't be alarmed if you see a bunch of chemical names, look them up because they may be ok (for instance ascorbic acid is another name for vitamin C).
No one will list lead as an ingredient though.

I found this site: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

This lists titanium dioxide as a bad thing but my skin loves it -so go figure.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny 6th July 2010, 3:52 pm

Even though they are marketed more towards teens, I really like the 'liplicious' brand of lip glosses that are sold at bath & body works. They have decent ingredients (jojoba oil) and seem to really moisturize the lips. They're abt $7, but many times on sale for $5.

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 22nd July 2010, 2:53 pm

Mangos&Bananas wrote:yes! i agree with tia && jlow

-- sticky lip gloss is weird, but vicky secret has the besst. Its so good that I often forget that its sticky. Lol. shimmer and shine all day. && also they have really pleasant fragrances.

what did you end up getting?

I have not found one that fits me. I love MAC's but I cant seem to make it to macy's. that is probably what iw ill go with.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 24th August 2010, 2:26 am

@swoodward, I love Skin Deep/Cosmetics Database!

@ElleX, I went on a throw-it-out spree with all my make-up, too! There are way too many safe options out there for me to have anymore bad stuff.

@HappyCurly, I've gotten lip rashes from new make-up, so I feel you. Try looking at the ingredients list and seeing if they match anything on this list with a high irritability grade (3 or more). I also avoid any lip stuff with sunscreens, or things that tingle (mints, eucalyptus, menthol, etc.).

I really like Colorganics' Karma Gloss Organic Lip Gloss. Great shine, subtle tints, low sparkle, no stickiness, and most of the ingredients are edibles (see below). I know that sounds gross, but that's where your lip gloss and lipstick ends up folks - on your food and in your stomach. Colorganics also makes lipsticks, lip tints (with and without sunscreen) and lip liners. Added benefits: not tested on animals, proceeds benefit humanitarian projects.

Karma Gloss Organic Lip Gloss Ingredients: Certified organic castor oil; Certified organic beeswax; Certified organic hemp seed oil; Certified organic jojoba oil; Natural vitamin E. *May contain mica, iron oxides, carmine, titanium dioxide (non-FD&C natural pigments).*
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down