CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks

3 posters

Go down

Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks Empty Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks

Post by justchecking 24th May 2010, 1:58 pm

Reposting this in this section by someone's suggestion...

Hi everyone. I currently have dreads that I've had for about four years, but they're getting too long, heavy and a pain to maintain. My birthday's coming up, and I wanted to celebrate by making a drastic change - cutting the dreads off, getting anew short and maintainable 'do and getting a new hair color.

I've looked up two salons in the DC area that cater to natural hair: Natural Kinks and Urban Nature. I like what Urban Nature has to offer (on-time service, no kids and loitering friends allowed) and their website was very thorough, while Natural Kinks would be easier for me to get to (it's near a Metro station), although they had very little information on their website (it's more of a basic webpage with a few photos and their hours of operation, and that's it). I've seen a few Yelp reviews, but not enough to really let me know how these places are.

I am very excited about making this change and wanted to make sure I had the best experience possible doing this. Has anyone on this board been to either salon? If so, can you please tell me about it? What are their pros and cons?

Last edited by justchecking on 24th May 2010, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting)

justchecking

Back to top Go down

Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks Empty Re: Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks

Post by carfi366 24th May 2010, 6:23 pm

Just checking-
I have patronized Urban Nature and its everything that it states on it's website. Clean shop, professional/knowledgeable stylist, nice atmosphere, small but nice. The only negative for me was parking and lack of METRO access. I would still be there but the stylist I was seeing left the area. Hope you will share your visit whichever shop you decide.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks Empty Re: Washington, DC Salons: Urban Nature vs. Natural Kinks

Post by justchecking 25th May 2010, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the response! I made a consultation appointment with Urban Nature for next week, and I'm excited. I'm leaning more towards them than Natural Kinks. Though Natural Kinks would be more accessible, their lack of a proper website doesn't help me get a true vibe of them outside of a few Yelp reviews. And I am sold with Urban Nature's "no kids and other outsiders" rule. I hate going to a salon and dealing with other people's kids running around, and people's nosy (and rude) friends hanging out. A salon should be a relaxing experience.

I hope this consultation appointment works out! This hair change is a major step for me and much-needed.

justchecking

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 5th June 2010, 11:42 pm

How did your experience go? There was a stylist from Urban Nature at the meetup today.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by justchecking 9th June 2010, 6:36 pm

The consultation was okay, and the actual appointment's in less than two weeks. Making this drastic change is going to be an experience!

The only negative for me was parking and lack of METRO access.

I wish it were closer to a Metro, but it's not hard to get to by bus.

justchecking

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 9th June 2010, 6:41 pm

I plan on going back there in a few weeks after I ran into Tamara, on of Urban Naturals stylist. Hope you'll share your experince.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down