CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Care Causing Face to Breakout

+7
swt_sunny
LaToya28
popsbaby
C.
Poundcake921
jamaicanmecurly
NinaBrat710
11 posters

Go down

Hair Care Causing Face to Breakout Empty Hair Care Causing Face to Breakout

Post by NinaBrat710 17th May 2010, 11:33 am

Ever since I cut my hair down to my natural hair I have had to wash my hair a little more often than usual. I've noticed that my face is breaking out a lot. I am currently using Kinky Curly's Come Clean, Knot Today, and Curling Custard. I usually wash my hair in the shower because my hair is only about an inch long. Has anyone else experienced their face breaking out when they transitioned from relaxed hair to natural hair?

NinaBrat710

Back to top Go down

Hair Care Causing Face to Breakout Empty Re: Hair Care Causing Face to Breakout

Post by jamaicanmecurly 17th May 2010, 12:05 pm

I did in the beginning. I think my cause was one of the products (possibly an oil or moisturizer) I was using that would get on my face when my hair was wet and dripping or through my hands. But after a couple weeks, it went away. How long has it been since you BC'd?
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 17th May 2010, 5:35 pm

Yes I experienced a horrible breakout on my face bc i was using too many oils in my spray mix....my face is just now recovering and I only use 1-2 oils in my spray mix.

If stuff runs down my face, I immediately wipe it away with a towel or cotton pad; like a dummy I used to let it sit on my face....learned my lession the hard way!

Also when I wash my hair I have my back turned towards the showerhead instead of facing it...that way the water, shampoo, and conditioner run down my my back instead of my face....this has helped alot also!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by NinaBrat710 17th May 2010, 5:51 pm

Jamaicanmecurly I cut my hair 2 weeks ago.

NinaBrat710

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 17th May 2010, 6:50 pm

i agree with poundcake. wash your hair with your head held back so it doesnt drip in your face and whatever product you use on your hair wipe the excess off of your face, especially oil if youre acne-prone like me.

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 17th May 2010, 7:32 pm

I found out the hard way that jojoba oil breaks me out. What kind of oils are you using?
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 17th May 2010, 9:15 pm

I don't get breakouts, but I notice that my skin is oilier from my products. I think that for the summer I will stop using oil altogether.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny 18th May 2010, 11:50 am

i'm still transitioning, but i did notice increased breakouts (on my forehead, which never breaks out, eek!). i also thought it was directly from the products i was using, but it turns out that the hair bonnet (mixed w/ product) i was using was sliding down my forehead while i was sleeping. i used to wear a scarf, but started wearing bonnets so my hair wouldn't be a smooshed down the next day as i'm now wearing a faux 'wash n go' type style.

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 18th May 2010, 12:43 pm

I had the same experience with some of the natural oils and butters I was using. I consulted a dermatologist, Dr. Fran E. Cook-Bolden in NYC and she advised me to wash my face no more than 3x/day. Now I'm more cautious about how close I apply product near my hairline and to be sure to wash my face 3x/day with an oil-free cleanser and follow with a toner.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 19th May 2010, 10:23 pm

OMG Hamptonsfest...I go to Dr.Cook too! How crazy is that! I actually have an appt with her next week....my face has cleared up so much since I started seeing her....

sorry guys for going off topic!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 20th May 2010, 8:01 am

I suffered from breakouts as well, its because I was washing my face and hair in the shower and products were running down my face...ALSO because I wear glasses and alot of my gel and other products in my hair would rub back and forth on my face as i would take my glasses off and put them on....you have to be careful about letting the product run in your face even if its from you sweating at the gym....itll creep up on you without you even realizing it, then youll have break outs all over...so try and see if you can prevent product from running in your face or on your back...
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 21st May 2010, 11:18 pm

swt_sunny wrote:i'm still transitioning, but i did notice increased breakouts (on my forehead, which never breaks out, eek!). i also thought it was directly from the products i was using, but it turns out that the hair bonnet (mixed w/ product) i was using was sliding down my forehead while i was sleeping. i used to wear a scarf, but started wearing bonnets so my hair wouldn't be a smooshed down the next day as i'm now wearing a faux 'wash n go' type style.

i have the exact same problem, and suspected it was because of the bonnet. so do you still sleep with the bonnet? i didnt want to do the scarf route either because of the smooshy look.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 21st May 2010, 11:37 pm

Satin pillowcases are a great alternative to the bonnet. I love how easy it is to refresh my hair when I sleep on the satin pillowcase and I maintain moisture better. I started experiencing acne after I went natural and realized it was the oils. Even when you don't realize it the products may run down your face.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 22nd May 2010, 12:18 pm

the pillowcase sounds great, but im just thinking about how i sleep on my side, so wouldnt the oil still get on my face? im just wondering [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...maybe i'll just have to put extra face wash on the section thats breaking out.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down