CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural

+91
StephanieB
kisnique
earthy natural
cocoachanel
Janique
LadyV69
renren
opheiliamath
curlyj
likethemoon
Corygentri
mverde3
Tiffy2
Abisco
cdawnlujan
coilsfrizzandwaves
dajewel
Freestyles
candycurl
SweetAmbrosia
QuietButterfly
blondie
kchapman06
IF IT COMES nATURAL
Tamren
Tay
kbelle
BajanPrincess82
YesMAM
Succinctlyso
Mz. Thang
cmo
jasmineleann
Preezie
DanceOnTheSkylines
MsChris8
ShyCurl
AllNaturalBeauty
UrbanLily
Mimi
PanaR3dd
ytiznatural
NCVapor93
.:Eden:.
niknak19
RoseNaturalBeauty
beautifuleyez
Armywife
Godiva4
Akayou
lytbrnsuga
techne
Lynnnoni
Char82
smartblackchic
truet
Esanh
tiphani
blktravelqueen
miznissi
ydr
AKASmile
A85
Carrie
frenchie
Hollis
lissey04
NaturallyStarlet
tamtam7
Krystality
Lynnieluve
Silkee
raina
AfrikanLatina
curly+kinky+fierce
rebelrocks
nigerianbeautii
hayylee
Erica5417
naturalmommyGA
Iomer
MsIconic
NubieNatty
chocrose
Cygnet
mojitochica
Marche'
Natural Wheezes
StacyB
crvng4mr
MsLizziA
95 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural - Page 2 Empty Re: Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural

Post by Lynnieluve 16th November 2009, 8:56 pm

^^^^I just waited it out. First, my edges came out. I mean, no hair around my edges. My stylist, at the time, was good at hiding it so I wasnt that concerned at first but then the nape broke off one side and then the CRAZY shedding started. Hair would be everywhere....in the sink, on the floor, on my clothes, on my baby's clothes, in his diaper...everywhere!!! My stylist tried a treatment but I didnt notice a change so I started transitioning. I transitioned 4 months.

Sorry, I dont have any advice.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural - Page 2 Empty Re: Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural

Post by Krystality 17th November 2009, 1:20 pm

Relaxers have always burned my scalp no matter how "mild" or "for sensitive scalp" they were I still had chemical burns. I workout 5-6 days a week and I like to co-wash or rinse afterwards. I want healthy hair!
Krystality
Krystality

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 17th November 2009, 1:28 pm

My reasons have changed over time but the initial reason was the same as MsIconic. I wanted to prove to myself that I did not accept Eurocentric aesthetics as true beauty. I've since embraced the beauty and versatitlity of my natural strands.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 17th November 2009, 2:58 pm

I wanted to be able to wash my hair whenever i wanted. I wanted to stop thinking about hair care as a chore
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by lissey04 17th November 2009, 10:29 pm

I went natural because I wanted my natural beauty to shine.
lissey04
lissey04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 17th November 2009, 10:34 pm

I wanted my hair to be healthier and was tired of paying someone to do my hair.

Wizarding Wheezer did you do anything specific to help your edges?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 17th November 2009, 10:35 pm

I feel you on that NaturallyStarlet!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by frenchie 17th November 2009, 10:42 pm

i actually have three reasons! 1. my hair was dead and i had a ton of breakage. 2. i NEVER saw what my natural hair looked like. (i got my first perm at an early age). 3. the lovely naturals on youtube inspired me.

and the funny thing is, i had just went out to the store to buy a texturizer, then i started looking at youtube vids later that night and said, "you know what? i'm going natural!"

frenchie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie 18th November 2009, 12:27 am

Laziness. I went away for college and didn't want anyone other than my stylist back home touching my hair. My last relaxer was right before my high school graduation, five and a half years ago.

Carrie

Back to top Go down

Post by A85 18th November 2009, 12:38 pm

I got braids and my hair relaxed hair matted after taking them out so I just stood in the mirror and chopped it off.
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Post by AKASmile 21st November 2009, 9:28 pm

To be able to work out and not worry about sweating out my roots!
AKASmile
AKASmile

Back to top Go down

Post by ydr 22nd November 2009, 4:34 pm

hard to name just one reason but my hair was just too damaged.

i was tired of the routine of split ends, hair breakage and then getting trims, cuts, and deep conditioning thinking that these things would eventually work.

my last perm was october 2008. i now can't believe that i have the growth that i have and that i spent years paying people to damage my hair.

ydr

Back to top Go down

Post by miznissi 22nd November 2009, 4:43 pm

I've tried a few other times before. Both times I went about a year, or close, without relaxing. I'd always said that if I had a daughter that I would go natural. In '07 I went natural until I found out that the new baby would be a boy. Got preggo shortly after and found out it was a girl. Relaxed for the last time in May of '08 and here I am.
miznissi
miznissi

https://www.youtube.com/user/miznissi

Back to top Go down

Name 1 Reason That You Went Natural - Page 2 Empty Change....

Post by blktravelqueen 22nd November 2009, 6:13 pm

I needed a change..2008 was such a transformational year for me. I was tired of sitting in the Dominican hair shop every Saturday. I wanted to see what G-d gave me, because I couldn't even remember what my hair looked like in it's natural state. By far it was the best decision I've ever made.
blktravelqueen
blktravelqueen

Back to top Go down

Post by tiphani 22nd November 2009, 7:04 pm

I have several reasons why I went natural, but the most important one was that I could not bear putting the harsh chemical concoction on my skin when I was faithfully protecting myself from chemicals everyday at work. I would wear long sleeved shirts, a lab coat, latex gloves, respirator, etc. but at 5PM on Friday, take my happy hips to the salon to get my six-week dose of sodium hydroxide. It didn't make since for me to do that anymore. It's bad enough to work around chemicals for 40+ hours a week, but then slather the stuff on my scalp! Couldn't do it anymore.
tiphani
tiphani

Back to top Go down

Post by Esanh 23rd November 2009, 4:23 am

Change!
Esanh
Esanh

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 27th November 2009, 7:56 pm

Tired of burning [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] my hair I knew there had to be a better way!
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by smartblackchic 28th November 2009, 8:33 am

One reason I went natural: I was SUPER curious about this stuff growing out of my scalp that I hated so much that I had to kill it's uniqueness every 3 months. I really used to dislike my new growth, & that bothered me. & now i'm like, in love with my hair! Crazy how your mentality & thinking can change, eh?
smartblackchic
smartblackchic

https://www.youtube.com/smartblackchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Char82 28th November 2009, 8:47 am

The first time was because I could not think of a reason not to go natural. A friend asked me why black women in general relax their hair, was it because they didn't like their natural hair? That got me thinking, because I didn't even remember what my full head of natural hair looked like.

After my medium chop, my hair got relaxed once by the hairdresser who claimed that it would be easier to manage (even though I always wore it curly). Wrong! In the meantime, I learned to care for my hair and let the relaxer grow out. Never again!
Char82
Char82

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnnoni 28th November 2009, 4:38 pm

I went natural because I was having the worst headaches!!! They would come and last about a week or so. I was tired of functioning with pain. Amazingly, once I stopped relaxing, they became less frequent and less severe. Now, if I want straight hair, I buy it!! lololol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnnoni
Lynnnoni

Back to top Go down

Post by techne 28th November 2009, 5:02 pm

Wow! Just reading all the posts above was so awesome!

I think the reason I went natural has more to do with texture than anything else. I never went to the salon, we don't have any here for black or mixed hair. I used to just comb perm solution through my curls making them look like a braid out on relaxed hair I guess.. I got the length I thought I needed but my hair always felt so dry and awful. I stopped with the perm solution December 2008 and the only chemical left in my hair is some caramel highlights from July 09.
I love my hair the way it is, if I treat it well it is soft and lovely. I will not ever go back to the damaging chemicals...
techne
techne

http://needlesandscotch.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLizziA 29th November 2009, 12:29 am

Another reason i went natural was because my hair was just bland! It was the same ole same ole thing every.single.day.

I was 5 seconds from blowing my brains out and i knew i needed a change. I was losing weight i figured, why not make a full 360?
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lytbrnsuga 30th November 2009, 2:40 am

I decided to go natural a second time for many of the same reason's listed here. I got tired of the relaxers - - it got to the point where I would stop going to a stylist if she even mentioned that I needed a touch-up. As stated earlier, this is my second time doing this. The first time I just BC'd, but I caved under pressure from a new stylist who was hitting my pockets big every time I went in... But this time, I am really educating myself of my hair and how to take care of it myself...

lytbrnsuga

Back to top Go down

Post by lytbrnsuga 30th November 2009, 2:43 am

I decided to go natural a second time for many of the same reason's listed here. I got tired of the relaxers - - it got to the point where I would stop going to a stylist if she even mentioned that I needed a touch-up. As stated earlier, this is my second time doing this. The first time I just BC'd, but I caved under pressure from a new stylist who was hitting my pockets big every time I went in... But this time, I am really educating myself of my hair and how to take care of it myself...

lytbrnsuga

Back to top Go down

Post by Akayou 30th November 2009, 2:45 am

cause i havent seen my natural hair since i was 9 and i wanted to do somethig different with my hair. and i didnt remeber wat it looked like
Akayou
Akayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next