CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna vs. Protein

2 posters

Go down

Henna vs. Protein Empty Henna vs. Protein

Post by IslandPrincess 11th May 2010, 4:49 pm

I have a question about Henna vs. Protein. Are they the same thing? I have been doing henna for past 2 months or so, and I like the results, but I have been noticing more shedding than usual. So, I was reading an article on the importance of keeping your hair balanced (moisture and protein) and that shedding could be a result of it not being as balances as it should be. Well I definitely know that moisture is not the problem, so I'm thinking it may be a lack of protein, but I was thinking that my henna treatments was serving as my protein. Is this or isn't this true. Should I be incorporating protein treatments into my hair care regimen as well?
IslandPrincess
IslandPrincess

Back to top Go down

Henna vs. Protein Empty Re: Henna vs. Protein

Post by R2D2 12th May 2010, 12:53 am

No they are not the same, even though they behave in a similar way in terms of strengthening hair and leaving a dry feeling. Henna is formed with henotannic molecules whereas protein is formed with animo acid molecules. If your hair previously benefited from traditional protein treatments and kept your shedding at bay then I would go back to them and use in between henna treatments. Personally, I haven't needed to use protein as much since using henna but will still do the occasional light treatment as my hair loves it.

Having said that, it is normal to have shedding (around about 50-100 hairs per day) and there are times of the year when shedding will increase.

Does your hair feel weak and mushy as well? Like when you stretch it the strand breaks like thin cotton? That is one indication that your hair is in need of protein.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by IslandPrincess 12th May 2010, 12:54 pm

Thank you for the response. I haven't noticed much breakage when I stretch my hair, but I will definitely pay more attention when I go to do it this weekend. I have this style that I love so I haven't done anything to it in 2 weeks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] If I do see some stretch breakage then I will do a protein treatment. I also noticed your henna mix and I think I will try it with the coconut milk as well. I'm thinking the green tea might be coming off a little to strong and acidic for my hair. Thanks again!
IslandPrincess
IslandPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down