CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are wash and go's for all hair types?

+18
renren
BrownSkinDiva
kbelle
blondie
SimplyMoi
fnggrant
KeepingitKurly
Free2Be
cassadie3
sweetdrk1
kinksncurls
jcanalena79
A-Felice
DreamMerchant
Napstrong
ChrsLvsBks
NhappyJackie
TriniCherryPrincess
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are wash and go's for all hair types? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are wash and go's for all hair types?

Post by BrownSkinDiva 3rd June 2010, 7:47 am

great advice, i agree with all the curlies....once you learn your hair, you will learn what wng techniques are best for you...
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Are wash and go's for all hair types? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are wash and go's for all hair types?

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 6th June 2010, 3:14 pm

Ok, so I haven't flat ironed since April 9. I wore mini twists for 2 weeks while I went to Florida (they lasted I'd say 9 days before I felt they needed to come out but I managed). Right now I've been experimenting with my hair. So far Aussie Moist has been my co-wash and leave-in of choice; I think my hair likes it. I'm also using Hawaiian Silky. It softens and detangles my hair which is great.
My hair is really curly in the back but wavy in the front so my hair looks curly and nice soaking wet but then in seconds as it dries it starts to puff at the roots. I'm not sure I can achieve the kind of wash n go look I want- I think you're right, mine does start to 'fro [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

http://www.AllThingsLena.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by renren 21st June 2010, 10:33 am

Hey.. another Trini here..... I have tried wash n go's over and over again.... jus cant seem to get my hair to lay down. I shrinks and looks frizzy and poofy. I dont know if its the climate here in Trinidad or the products or my technique. I've just decided to do twist, buns and braids for awhile because the single strand knots I get from wearing my hair open is crazy. Im hoping that as my hair get longer, I will be able to wear it in a wash n go.

Have any of you ladies been able to wear styles more successfully with longer hair?
renren
renren

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 21st June 2010, 3:19 pm

I can do a wash-n-go if you consider washing and putting your hair in a ponytail before going on your way one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
O and where I am right now is probably the same kind of weather Trini got going on now. What products do you use?
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by renren 21st June 2010, 3:30 pm

Yea I wash and put it up in a ponytail as well but I gotten really bad single strad knots and split ends from doing that so often (like everyday lol).

For my attempted wash n gos ive used Aussie Moist or HE Hello Hydration to wash with and to leave in, coconut oil and gel (hate the feelin of gel on my hair but I use it anyway.)

I dont think I can get Cantu here, I was thinking about trying pantene relaxed and natural creamy moisturiser.
renren
renren

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 21st June 2010, 5:47 pm

I use Aussie Moist too.
From what I hear Cantu isn't the best of products to use (I'm using that right now, finishing it up) so that probably isn't a loss on your end. I know people use things like real aloe vera gel on here, you could look into natural stuff you can find from the island. Just a suggestion. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 22nd June 2010, 3:42 am

renren wrote:Hey.. another Trini here..... I have tried wash n go's over and over again.... jus cant seem to get my hair to lay down. I shrinks and looks frizzy and poofy. I dont know if its the climate here in Trinidad or the products or my technique. I've just decided to do twist, buns and braids for awhile because the single strand knots I get from wearing my hair open is crazy. Im hoping that as my hair get longer, I will be able to wear it in a wash n go.

Have any of you ladies been able to wear styles more successfully with longer hair?

Re: "Getting hair to lay down"... IMO that's not a "requirement" of a wash-n-go. Wash-n-go is just a technique. That doesn't mean it has to look a certain way. It will look like whatever your hair looks like after it's gone from a wet state to dry. However, if you want it to "lay" you may have to use heavy products and/or possibly stretch out the hair. Personally, I like my wash-n-go to be fluffy and just figured out recently how to pump up the volume of my hair.

TriniCherryPrincess wrote:I can do a wash-n-go if you consider washing and putting your hair in a ponytail before going on your way one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
O and where I am right now is probably the same kind of weather Trini got going on now. What products do you use?

Well then that'd be a "wash-stretch-n-go: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. nothing wrong with that either.

Wash-n-goes are for everyone.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 22nd June 2010, 12:48 pm

BekkaPoo wrote:
TriniCherryPrincess wrote:I can do a wash-n-go if you consider washing and putting your hair in a ponytail before going on your way one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well then that'd be a "wash-stretch-n-go: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. nothing wrong with that either.

O ok, thanks. It's just that I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing a wash-n-go and pony-ing it up or anything.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 22nd June 2010, 1:58 pm

TriniCherryPrincess wrote:
BekkaPoo wrote:

O ok, thanks. It's just that I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing a wash-n-go and pony-ing it up or anything.

Well I just made up that term for the purposes of this discussion.. but I do that usually for the 2nd/3rd days of a wash-n-go. Just spritz with H2O in the AM, add a little extra product if needed, ponytail for five minutes, and go.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 22nd June 2010, 2:27 pm

BekkaPoo wrote:
TriniCherryPrincess wrote:
BekkaPoo wrote:

Well I just made up that term for the purposes of this discussion.. but I do that usually for the 2nd/3rd days of a wash-n-go. Just spritz with H2O in the AM, add a little extra product if needed, ponytail for five minutes, and go.
0o0o0o0, no I meant that I actually leave it in the ponytail after the co-wash. I plan to try a banded ponytail for a little while after a co-wash and then letting it go. A regular wash-n-go is still a big no-no for me.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by NinaBrat710 22nd June 2010, 5:29 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:I am still trying to master the wash-n-go. My hair looks like an old gheri curl when I try to do it. I just do not know how to do it.

I agree. My hair looks like a jheri curl as well. I cannot wait until I get a little length so that i can get my hair styled. Very Happy

NinaBrat710

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 22nd June 2010, 5:43 pm

Ok, quick question.. what is this mysterious "perfect wash n go" supposed to look like? Can anyone post a picture to an example? Cuz I'm confused. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 24th June 2010, 1:39 pm

I guess from what I know people wash their hair, use some type of hold, and are happy with what they see in the mirror. I just like for my hair to stay down and look tame.
I tried the co-wash and banded ponytail. I wore it all day yesterday, then for bed pinned it up and wore a bonnet. I woke up today and carefully took out the bands. My hair is staying down and it's fluffy with a wavy look. If I could get it to do that (well maybe not the fluff) with just a wash-n-go that would be great.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th June 2010, 2:03 pm

TriniCherryPrincess wrote:I guess from what I know people wash their hair, use some type of hold, and are happy with what they see in the mirror. I just like for my hair to stay down and look tame.
I tried the co-wash and banded ponytail. I wore it all day yesterday, then for bed pinned it up and wore a bonnet. I woke up today and carefully took out the bands. My hair is staying down and it's fluffy with a wavy look. If I could get it to do that (well maybe not the fluff) with just a wash-n-go that would be great.
Have you tried loading your hair with conditioner, shaking head back and forward then side to side over and over again? Doing this helps the curls clump and avoid the jheri curl/stringy look.

As far as an ideal WnG, here is mine. When mine turn out like this I am [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I have mostly defined curls and some volume.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 24th June 2010, 2:45 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
TriniCherryPrincess wrote:I guess from what I know people wash their hair, use some type of hold, and are happy with what they see in the mirror. I just like for my hair to stay down and look tame.
Have you tried loading your hair with conditioner, shaking head back and forward then side to side over and over again? Doing this helps the curls clump and avoid the jheri curl/stringy look.

As far as an ideal WnG, here is mine. When mine turn out like this I am [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I have mostly defined curls and some volume.

0o0o0o0o0, that looks great! I've tried loading up on conditioner but as for the shaking my hair around- been too scared! My hair tangles very easily so I'm hesitant...I'll give it a go next time though, thanks for the tip.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 24th June 2010, 4:04 pm

This is what I got today when I un-banded it. You can also see what I'm working with: highlights from almost a year ago growing out, the front of my hair a looser curl pattern and the back a tighter curl pattern. I did note that I have a few strands of heat damage here and there as well, but not too much, thank God.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 24th June 2010, 4:22 pm

You may have some heat damage going on which means your hair won't curl up like it would without the damage since you said you've been pressing it for years and just stopped going it. That may be why your WNGs aren't really coming out how you want them to?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 24th June 2010, 6:48 pm

Muz wrote: You may have some heat damage going on which means your hair won't curl up like it would without the damage since you said you've been pressing it for years and just stopped going it. That may be why your WNGs aren't really coming out how you want them to?
That could be it, but I do know that my hair has always been looser in front and curlier in back before I started pressing and that I've always had poofy hair.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 25th June 2010, 6:49 pm

IMO...there is no "perfect wng". I think the problem comes when people have certin expectations of what they think their hair should look like (as a wng). I know i had that issue. When i first started, i felts that i had that stringy jheri curl look too; along with a very dry patch in the back. Not only that, i have like 3 different hair textures (wavy in the front, a dry kinky crown area, and coily hair in the back). It just was not what i pictured in my head. I love my hair now, and learned that that wavy part in the front is from heat damage and being brushed into super slick ponytails; i wish it would curly up like the rest of my hair! I also learned that that kinky part is the driest patch of hair on my head; therefore, i try to keep my hair well moisturized (my hair loves oils). I love my wng now...it's fluffy (yes) but well defined and moisturized. When my hair is flat and and crunchy from gel; that's when the jheri curl look returns [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Sometimes i use a diffuser (on the cool setting for a few mins.) and that helps to define my curls a little more and also combats the crunchy jheri curl look. Also, conditioners with maybe a curl enhancer or curl lotion helps. As a newbie, i learn to love my hair as i learned what it needed and how to take care of it!
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 26th June 2010, 2:40 pm

Is that a wng in your picture? Your hair looks nice.
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 26th June 2010, 5:03 pm

If your talking about me....no that's a tnc (via curlynikki's video). my wng looks pretty similar esp. 2nd day hair....If you like my wng, i can tell you exactly
what i do. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. As you can see my front curls are move of a wavy.
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 26th June 2010, 5:35 pm

Hey patmichele! Yes, I was talking to you, and your wng looks great! So does the tnc. Yes please, do share. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 26th June 2010, 6:09 pm

Thank you girlie! For my tnc, i followed the exact routine i found on curlynikki's video; on her site it's under the tab about me- regimine. Twist n curl (it's a pictorial; step by step directions). My wng super easy; before getting in shower i section my hair into 4 sections and two strand twist each section. Co-wash,detangle,put in leave in conditioner and retwist each section. I put on one of those clear plastic caps and shower as usual. Right before getting out quick rinse of hair with cool water (i prob leave in 80% of leave in) squeeze excessive water out with hands. I don't towel dry my hair, yes it drips a lot so i put a t-shirt around shoulders, apply coconut oil, a curl enhancer or curling lotion, and diffuse on cool for about 5-10 mins just so my hair is no longer dripping wet. After that i don't touch my hair until i know it's dry. This can last me about 3 days. Products I use: co-wash Herbal Essence Hello Hydration; Leave in Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner; EVCO. Still working on finding a fav. curling lotion i use CD Hair Milk on one side and SheaMoisture curl & style milk on the other (I liked sheamoisture better). Hope this helps...
Sorry so long.
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 26th June 2010, 6:12 pm

Trinicherryprincess,
I almost forgot...if i'm doing a wng i can not band or pull my hair back into a ponytail because both those techniques make my hair straight.
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 26th June 2010, 6:59 pm

Thanks for sharing. Now I need to get a new hair dryer with a diffuser attachment...I hear good things about them. I've been using Aussie Moist to condition...I wonder if I used a different conditioner if I'd get better results...
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next